[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is any record of a great engineer or scientist who wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: arthurcclarke[1].jpg (8 KB, 285x320) Image search: [Google]
arthurcclarke[1].jpg
8 KB, 285x320
There is any record of a great engineer or scientist who wasn't a bright student or struggled through college? Also, what's the consensus on IQ and genius? Thanks /sci/
>>
No, you're fucked.
>>
>>7670726
Consensus is that youre a shitposter
>>
Brian Cox was a high school math failure.
>>
>>7670726
Supposedly, Albert Einstien did terribly in primary school, but he was probably just beyond their shit already and just didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>7670726
Pretty sure Edison was largely home/self-taught and didn't go to college at all.
Evidently he wasn't a retard though.
>>
Goddamn it. Look, if you're going into the sciences, leave your ego at the door. The vast majority of us are not going to become GREAT "anythings", so to speak. If you're asking this question because you feel you're not bright or you're struggling, then you will probably not be great. It takes an incredible amount of willpower and maturity to rise above the handicap of being a retarded fuck in the sciences, so IF you're looking for motivation on 4chan, your chances are already fucked.
>>
>>7670778
projecting
>>
>>7670782
Relative as fuck.
Everything we think is projecting, everything we say is projecting.
>>
Dude. The stories about successful men who were shit in high school and colleges aren't very accurate. The billionaires who are college dropouts (Bill Gates, Steve Jobbs) dropped out because
1. They already had a business plan.
2. Were in Ivy league schools and had already learned everything they needed to.

You can still succeed as a businessman. But you better make sure you know you can, before dropping out.

The "Geniuses" who were bad in school weren't many. Albert Einstein supposedly did bad, but that's because he was already focusing on physics rather than grammar and other stupid shit. Modern day geniuses like Grigori Perelman have extensive educations and were always the top of their specialized class. He also has an IQ of 145.

OP, if you want to become a businessman like >>7670752
>Edison
then you might still have a chance. If your're really in it for the sciences, don't expect to do something great if you're shit/undisciplined. Good luck if you're an IQlet. IQ of 115 or less and you probably won't do shit nigga.
>>
>>7670920
>1. They already had a business plan.
>2. Were in Ivy league schools and had already learned everything they needed to.
3. Had a tremendous amount of privilege or luck, making their success extraordinarily likely relative to jackasses like OP. Bill Gates is basically only rich cause his family was wealthy, allowing him access computers early in life when that access was still extremely expensive and rare, and giving him the connections to IBM that let him sell DOS, which give him the momentum he needed.

Basically, OP unless you're obviously brilliant or have enough privilege to make success likely, you should really lower your expectations.
>>
>>7670726
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gurdon
>>
>>7670745
complete bs, a 5 is just an A in switzerland where he went to highschool
>>
>>7671008
>Bill Gates is basically only rich cause his family was wealthy
THIS
he had access to a computer as a 14 years old at a time when most university professors in US didn't.
and his IBM/DOS deal? his mom. seriously.
fuck.
>>
How to discipline yourself into studying if you're bright, but a lazy unmotivated piece of shit? Tell me pls. (background: 2 years of not doing shit in 7th/8th grade and 4 years of hs+a gap year right now)
>>
>>7671008
>>7671271
I don't know that much about Bill Gates, but he sure wasn't successful only beacause he was rich, of coarse it helped, but his own will and discipline to learn the things that he learned.

You could be born in a golden cot, but if you don't have the willness to learn and act, you'll be a nobody anyway.
>>
My 130 IQ keeps me warm at night, as does my bachelor's in biology and soon so will my PhD in molecular biology.
>>
>>7671312
My 145 IQ didn't keep me warm while I was living outside in the dead of winter.
>>
>>7671317
So everyone on /sci/ has the same IQ as Perelman?

how fucked am I /sci/?
>>
>>7671317
It helped me get into a PhD program that pays my tuition and gives me stipend sufficient to pay for a not shit 1 bed apt that has a utilities budget so I can heat it to whatever temp I damn well please. I also get to put off paying back my loans if I feel like it, and if I pinch my pennies I can take home $800 that isn't spoken for elsewhere in my budget. To top it all off, even if I will never discover anything earth shattering ( I still keep my fingers crossed though), I get to go to work and find out things that no one else has ever known before, no one... ever...
>>
>>7671337
Sounds cozy, hoping to do the same when I get into a good philosophy graduate program.
>>
File: deniro.png (380 KB, 618x390) Image search: [Google]
deniro.png
380 KB, 618x390
>>7670920
>I don't understand IQ but I use it anyway
>>
>>7671354
Don't get your hopes up, most majors don't pay your tuition or give a stipend, not sure about philosophy, but my sister is in a psyD program and she lives on food stamps and even more student loans on top of undergrad ones, though at this point I think she has a job/school credit thing, but yea the first semesters where not kind, also I can't imagine that as a philosophy major you would have to Gary a school credit/payed internship at a hospital.
>>
>>7670920
>He also has an IQ of 145.

{citation needed]
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.