[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wasn't this you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7
File: ahaan-rungta-mit_0[1].jpg (194 KB, 639x426) Image search: [Google]
ahaan-rungta-mit_0[1].jpg
194 KB, 639x426
http://news.mit.edu/2015/ahaan-rungta-mit-opencourseware-mitx-1116

This guy got into MIT at 15 just by taking online courses. What's your excuse?
>>
I'm white so i really can't get into MIT
>>
>>7670182
this
>>
Ocw didn't exist, nor was as popularized back when I was 15 yo.
>>
>>7670173

In general, human endeavor is meaningless. This persists whether you are personally successful, or down on your luck. It is a foundation that I have kept in mind, in good times and bad.

This truth never fails to equalize, and balm my irrational animal booty-bother at the notion of someone else "doing better than me", when my rational side knows better, perfectly well: We're all headed for the same Nothing, in the long view. Once you understand this, you can have a deep peace about things, which is not unlike the misplaced peace that a religious person feels, except that it is truer by dint of better conforming to knowledge.
>>
I'll take a look at their transfer requirements, but I don't think memecourseware would better my chances.
>>
>>7670173
Because MIT provides sub-par education compared to where I am now.
>>
>>7670241
Where is that?
>>
>>7670192
>We're all headed for the same Nothing

max bait
>>
>>7670427
refute it fag
>>
>>7670173
>What's your excuse?
My parents could care less about me learning.
>>
>>7670173
OMG FUCK HIM!!! THIS ISNT FAIR!!11 THERE IS NO WAY THIS STUPID ARAB TERRORIST IS SMARTER DEN ME!!! HE JUST GOT IN BECAUSE OF HIS SKIN COLOR AND STUPID SOCIETIES GAY PROGRESSIVENESS! WAHH IM A WHITE MALE AND SOCIETY IS SO UNFAIR TO ME AND LIFE IS SO DIFFICULT ): ): ):
>>
>>7670438
this but unironically.
>>
>>7670438

???

someone's butthurt
>>
>>7670182
International students don't have shit chance too
>>
>>7670431
calm you gonads there, warrior of Nothing
>>
>>7670192
>writing this on an american website

Dude, these guys literally base their existence on competing to "be the most successful" and hate for the weak/unlucky.
>>
>>7670173
im old is my excuse

but these new kids coming up are lucky to have such easy access to information

i doubt this kid is a snowflake compared to his generation
>>
>>7670182
>>7670186
>there are no white people in MIT
Excuses will get you far in life.
>>
>>7670173
Forced diversity m8
>>
>>7670438
This.

Also OP is retarded and can't even read
>just by taking online courses.
>""""just""""
The reason he took online courses was because he's so fucking smart no school could even remotely keep up or even offer teachers qualified for his level. Not because "lol I'm just gonna stay home watch anime and educate myself on youtube" that some faggots think is a viable path.
So yeah there's my excuse, I'm not a fucking genius.
>>
>>7670438
That was OK

Next time don't forget your meds
>>
File: bonobo-ape.jpg (35 KB, 469x350) Image search: [Google]
bonobo-ape.jpg
35 KB, 469x350
>>7670173
I'm not a dedicated immigrant and was forced to conform to insane jew instilled social standards which stifled my intellectual growth. Racist anti-white double standards and injustices.
>>
>>7670600
It's the same fucking material you retard. Physics doesn't get easier just because it's online. If you were as smart as this kid you would have skipped classes and started college early too. You could have gone down to the library and read physics textbooks. Teenagers in university is not a new thing. see >>7670603

>>7670622
This is so fucking hillarious. It's like the butthurt c
>>
>>7670642
found the kek
>>
>>7670173

My family got its first computer when I was 17, so.... Also the internet was garbage at the time. Everybody used Yahoo, it was awful. If you want, you can go take a look at Yahoo now. It's about the same.
>>
>>7670656
see >>7670642
>>
>>7670656
Why is yahoo always so shit anyway? They made a lot of money, you would think they could have hired some decent software engineer and Web dev
>>
>>7670642
>You could have gone down to the library

Haha, yeah...

It was six miles to my local library. When you're 13-14 and don't have a car, that's actually a bit more difficult access to information than just opening a browser on a laptop or one of the always-connected, pocket-sized computers we call "phones" these days.

Not saying I could or would have done what he did with his access to information, but lets not pretend the task has gotten no easier in the past 15 years.
>>
>>7670182
i laughed
>>
>>7670656
Yahoo is that dude that won't give up cargo pants.
>>
>>7670642
You do realize that the internet hasn't been around forever, right? You also realize that the majority of public libraries are stocked mostly with whatever shit books private citizens donate to them, so there isn't some universal list of texts that every single library contains, right?
Fucking millenials.
>>
>>7670173
>What's your excuse?
I'm dumb.
>>
>>7670673
B-but, the utility, anon. S-so much pocket space, anon.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (221 KB, 1024x689) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
221 KB, 1024x689
>>7670182
At least try to build a clock from scratch, lazy anon
>>
>>7670748
This
>>
>>7670173
Because MIT fucked up by firing Walter Lewin, and then completely shit the bed when they gave clockmed a full-ride scholarship.
>>
>>7670849
Again, he's white. He builds a "clock", and the echoes of "NERD!" followed by derisive laughter will just haunt him till an hero.
>>
>>7670192
You're right but the amerifats won't like this.
>>
MIT grad school is better tbqhwy family
>>
I was born in 1988.
>>
>>7670666
>It was six miles to my local library.
Then buy the books, problem solved
>lets not pretend the task has gotten no easier in the past 15 years.
Again: Physics doesn't get easier just because it's online. Teenagers in university is not a new thing.
If you're not a genius then it's no change at all since you're not smart enough to do what he's done anyways. If you are, then it's maybe 5% "easier" which comes simply from convenience. You still have to learn the stuff, and that hasn't changed a single bit.
>>7670720
1. See above
2. If you weren't a teenager parroting words that are popular on anime forums right now, you would know that "millennial" refers to people born after approx 1983
>>
>>7670924
What 14 year old can afford to buy a bunch of textbooks? Where is he buying them? Amazon wasn't your one stop shopping place with free two day shipping.
>>
>>7670875
This is a myth. A spokesperson said that he was "the ideal student" and they invited him for a paid tour, which isn't really that unusual for excellent students (he didn't deserve it but w.e.)

Huge difference from scholarship.

In fact, it's likely he would have been rejected quickly without this ordeal because he is basically at grade-level in classes, and there is still a good chance he won't get in because he is at grade-level in classes. When the admissions officers see a kid whose taken all of a math undergrad and a perfect SAT, being famous for 15 minutes for doing something that the former kid did at age 10 is really not that impressive.
>>
File: mitlol.jpg (8 KB, 252x200) Image search: [Google]
mitlol.jpg
8 KB, 252x200
i took organic chem at a community college here in southern cali. at the same time i was doing the mit o chem homework and tests. at college i got a 85% and 92% for first and second semester. my scores at mit were 92% and 96%. so much for mit being a rigorous uni. lmao

mfw at college, my professor for lecture and lab were the same USC phd person, and my lecture had 20 people and lab had 15.

mfw at mit, i wouldve been in a lecture with 100 people and my lab wouldve been taught by some shill grad student

mfw mit ochem exams had multiple choice

>rigorous

lol.exe
>>
>>7670929
>being famous for 15 minutes for doing something that the former kid did at age 10 is really not that impressive.
It is as long as he's not White or Asian.
>>
>>7670928
Pls nigga, stop embarrassing yourself. If your 14 year old kid is a one in a million genius that's guaranteed scholarship you're gonna spend 100$.
>Where is he buying them?
If you weren't a teenager you would know that any sizable bookstore carries or can place an order for at least undergrad material. Even moreso before Amazon.
Again, it's absolutely pathetic how you're making excuses for yourself, like you seriously entertain the idea that you could have been graduating at 18 from an ivy-league.
>>
>>7670944

>There are no smart kids with parents who won't or can't buy them whatever they need to maximaze their potential.

Thanks for your enlightenment. So, ever planning to travel outside of the neighboorhood you grew up in?
>>
>>7670944
The bookstore where I grew up only carried math books like calculus for dummies. Some parents don't care that much about their kid's education.

I don't even have a dog this fight, but what you're saying is retarded.
>>
>>7670944
not that anon, but you sound like you really don't know what life is outside your warm, wealthy bubble.
>>
>>7670924
Because you speak like a priviledged little shit born after 1983, yes. If you think that the internet hasn't made it easier for young geniuses to access educational material otherwise unavailable to them, then you are either retarded, or don't understand the concept of life without internet. Not every intelligent child had parents who made smart choices in their own lives, or even parents who actually give a shit and want to see them succeed. My point has nothing to do with jealousy over young genius, it was actually praise over how the internet has allowed more of them to succeed where they wouldn't have had the chance to do so 30 years ago.
>>
>>7670173
>online courses
>when he was fifteen

I didn't have internet access when I was fifteen. There's my excuse.
>>
I was busy fucking bitches at 15. Could care less about math at the time to be honest family.
>>
>>7670173
i've been saying this shit on /sci/ forever now.

HIGH SCHOOL IS A WASTE.

drop out and just do CC like this guy. you can even do it on the internet. you stupid fucking highschoolers are literally wasting your time in a daycare facility.

everytime i said this, people always popped off with "y-you won't get into a good uni if you go to a CC". thank you ahaan for shutting them the fuck up.
>>
>>7670425
french and swiss engineering education.
>>
>>7671178
Most high-school kids who browse /sci/ take CC courses though.

I don't really see why you need to drop out of high-school. It's good for your social development and as long as you're taking intro level credits from CC you aren't losing time in your academic career.
>>
>>7670173
Why would I want to sacrifice my youth to enter the dull lifelessness that is the post-school world early?
>>
>>7671190
why wouldn't you take a full course load though? and i agree with the social aspect, but i don't think showing up to hang out with your friends counts as "going to high school". i was talking about going to classes and participating in the busy work.
>>
>>7670173
What is mitx exactly? Do you get credits for online shit?
>>
>>7670640
m-m-me t-too
>>
>>7670173
I've been saying this for years now.

mid-tier colleges are not worth going to, I went to one and there were only TWO FUCKING CLASSES that compared to online courses.

Circuits 2 and Diff. Eq. Taught by an old white guy that owned multiple companies and a middle aged asian man that had every lecture planned out to the second perfectly with multiple backup options.

The ONLY two classes that compared to online courses, all other classes were fucking worthless and there was no point in going to lecture. You're better off just reading the book and doing the homework yourself instead of wasting time going to hour long lectures 3 times a week.

Most professors are so fucking bad at teaching and we shouldn't expect them to give out quality lectures semester after semester.

Record one really good lecture, show it to everyone. Then have open hours for people to come in with questions.
>>
>>7671210
I should mention this applies much more to high school as well unless you're going to a really good school but even then online courses are better.
>>
>>7670173
Forced diversity m8>>7670642
>This is so fucking hillarious
The government literally gives tax breaks and incentives to hire minorities and women

There are programs for "women and minority owned" small businesses as well
>>
>>7671229
>The government literally gives tax breaks and incentives to hire minorities and women

those spots are filled by veterans more often than not. vets are a "protected" class under affirmative action and meet quotas the same as women or minorities.
>>
>>7670173
C-childhood abuse?
>>
I'm pretty sure MIT admissions is race blind you fucking retards.

Also this guy is Indian.

He had great parents and he worked hard. If you read that article the entire family essentially dedicated 13 years to try and get him into MIT. He's better than most of these meme kids so often posted and he's been working towards this his entire.

Stop being butthurt.
>>
>>7671237
>Making excuses for racist policies

Why? It's a bad policy that allows faggots like >>7671229 to whine about it.

They should just scrap AA it's only increasing racial tensions and it's not actually helping anyone since undeserving candidates never perform.
>>
>>7671252
I knew some half-black girl who got into MIT who wasn't extremely bright. I'm absolutely convinced that gender or race has nothing to do with admission to MIT.
>>
>>7671252
It sounded like the kid just really wanted to be there, not that they "dedicated 13 years to get him there".
>>
File: ON364.jpg (190 KB, 808x719) Image search: [Google]
ON364.jpg
190 KB, 808x719
>>7671134

>If you would just buckle down and crack open a text book, you too could learn enough to get a science degree.

>Shut up you stupid, entitled millennial.

Jesus, dude....
>>
>>7670173
>What's your excuse?
4chan take all my time.
>>
>>7671259
because i am a vet, and i am abusing the shit out of it. its great. all the advantages that society bestows on minorities and i still get to be white.

my grades were nowhere near what was required to get into the school i'm going to, but the dean of admissions was a colonel in the army and slid me in because of muh brotherhood.
>>
>>7670192

Fucking 20 year old's.
>>
>>7670173
affirmative action lel
>>
>>7670720
You could buy the books, you could join an academic society for access to their library. You are here throwing out excuses for your mediocrity when George Green was an uneducated baker in bumfuck nowhere, England in the 19th century before even public libraries yet still managed to teach himself enough maths to discover Green's Theorem.
>>
>>7670939
This. A class's difficulty is dependent on the professor not the institution. All be it pricier schools do tend to have more competitive curriculum due to the people attending them.
>>
>>7672647
The word is "albeit"
>>
>>7672647
>all be it
this better be bait
>>
>>7670173

I am not an autist.
>>
>>7670173
I'm white
>>
>>7671331
Holy crap dude. Let me put it in simpler words:

Walking six miles to the library and praying that they actually have the books you need is not the same as fetching your phone and typing "mit ocw" into google.

Raising hundreds of dollars as a teenager and praying that the local bookstore actually has the books you need is not the same either, as is "joining an academic society for their library" assuming there is any nearby in the first place and that they are going to let some random teen enter and take their books for no reason (they aren't).
>>
Hai everyone. My english is bad as fuck, but i need to ask something. I need to do a presentation of MIT in my university, so can you tell me some interesting facts about it? Also i need a dude for help me with my text of presentation, cuz i don't know english and need to speak english in my class of english language.
>>
File: 1447959536284.png (962 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1447959536284.png
962 KB, 768x1024
>>7670849
I'd rather stick to soldering CPUs.
>>
>>7672186

I wrote the post you replied to, and I'm past 30. You could of course interpret that as even /worse/, but that would be disingenuous. I didn't write the cheeky "refute it fag" above, but that post is basically right in its sentiment.

This is a pretty conventional type of response (dismiss the poster as literally/intellectually adolescent), once I reveal my power level and get sincere with my views; I was actually surprised to have the positive responses that I did.

Over time, I've realized that the above isn't even really an ad-hom. What's really going on is that the conventional, standard atheistic/nihilistic view I've honestly re-presented is so unpleasant (You mean I don't get to take my STUFF with me?!), that upon hearing its serious statement, a person has to lash out/push back against something, anything that would say such a stupid/awful thing, which ends up being me.

Not that any of this matters. :^)
>>
>>7670488
This.

LITERALLY impossible to get in without a medal in the IMO or IPhO. But they'll take one or two as a token admit just to be able to say that isn't true.

If you're American all you have to do is be a special snowflake

And finally, if you're black all you have to do is breathe.
>>
>>7670173
I'm white, male, and too old.
>>
>>7672953
this is absolutely not true.
>>
>>7671252
>>7671286
>MIT admissions
>race blind

Yeah. No. The odds would definitely have been stacked against his favor but he got in anyway, so good on him.

There is some serious fucking insane competition to get into MIT if you're Indian. Only a few are selected out of a goddamn billion people each year. They'll deny anything to do with race quotas but there is in fact a quota of how much they can take from each country a year.
>>
>>7672960
No he's right. The typical international student at MIT exceeds the quality of a domestic admit by a considerable margin.

If you look up the credentials of people coming in from India and China each year, they are almost all guaranteed to have medals in an international olympiad or major international distinction of some sort. Most of them have gold medals in the IMO, if not perfect scores like Zipei Nie who go on to represent them in the Putnam.

Obviously American MIT students are good. But the internationals, especially from certain countries, really are on another power level. Perfect SAT is nothing compared to a perfect score on the IMO.
>>
File: dstd.jpg (76 KB, 409x301) Image search: [Google]
dstd.jpg
76 KB, 409x301
>>7671189
Please. Can't come close to Danish Engineering education
>>
>>7670173
i'm too dumb f.am
thats why I will later just have an IT job
>>
>>7670589
Amerifat here: can confirm only way for me to succeed is for others to fail.
I see nothing wrong
>>
>>7671331
So, what is your excuse for your horribly poor reading comprehension?
>>
>>7673035
kek
let me guess, you guys try to build stuff with lego and hug each other for your master's thesis?
>>
When I was that age, MIt didn't exist
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.