[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens in 50 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
I had seen a thread on here recently about what will civilization (or the lack thereof) be like in 25 years, it was a pretty good read so lets get some IQ's in here and tell me (normal QI) what will we become in 50 years? (Moore's Law, colonizing Mars vs. Venus, extinction level events)
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-19-03-03-53.png (444 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-19-03-03-53.png
444 KB, 1440x2560
This will happen in every thread
>>
>>7670035
heyyy lol
>>
>>7670033
>What happens in 50 years
Literally everything will be the same but smaller and more expensive.

>colonizing Mars vs. Venus
I dont think anyone who has half a brain would consider colonizing Venus over Mars. Get fucking real.

>extinction level events
I doubt a giant impact will happen or a nuclear winter in the next 50 years. Climate change isn't an extinction event, we just won't live on the surface anymore.
>>
>>7670049
but muh cloud cities
>>
>>7670033
A lot has changed since 1965. I don't think that we can really predict what will happen by 2065 with any certainty. The older guys of /sci/ will be dead and guys like me who are even just 20 years old will be 70 years old and will probably live to 2095 if we're very lucky. Why should I care as long as I'm not doing anything harmful to the future?

Technology will be ridiculously impressive to us, as it always is to every old generation that cares. New products will be the norm that we never would have thought of. For all we know, smartphones will be abandoned by 2030 for who knows what and our children and their children will look at what we think of as miracles like we also look at old tube radios and steam engines as old, outdated technologies.
>>
>>7670143
>A lot has changed since 1965.
No it hasn't. We still drive around in vehicles that run on fossil fuels. Most of the world still relies on filthy dirty coal power.
>>
>>7670158
Plenty of other things have changed dude...come on now
>>
>>7670158
More has changed in the past 50 years than ever in history.
>>
>>7670158
Almost everyone also now has extremely powerful devices on their pocket at all time that allow them access vast quantities of information.

There's a lot that's changed; yes, a lot of things haven't changed like they should, but my mother for example is old enough to remember what it was like in 1965.

She is amazed by how much the world has changed in her life, and she's not even 60 yet. She's not particularly tech-savvy or futurist or anything like that, it just so happens that the reality of technologies (even reaching her more slowly than they reached many) has totally transformed her life and what she does.

Things have changed.

On the topic of this thread, I agree it's almost pointless to try and predict a date that's so far in the future, especially with the current rate of progress.

If there are breakthroughs in medicine that change the human lifespan in a major way, then there will be a great deal of social and political upheaval.

If automation for a large number of jobs comes, same as above.

There are a lot of technologies, some have which have been on the horizon for decades and always encountered set backs and some more recent, which all have potential to be realized in that time frame and all could drastically change our idea of life.
>>
>>7670158
I don't think you realize how slow society was before even the middle 20th century.
>>
File: vast quantities.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vast quantities.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>7670187
>everyone also now has extremely powerful devices on their pocket at all time that allow them access vast quantities of information.
>>
>>7670049
I hold the opposite opinion. Pressurized vs non pressured. Adequate gravity vs stage 3 osteoporosis gravity. Induced magnetic field to protect from radiation vs radiation. Volume of floating spheres scale cubic meaning lifting power scales cubic while surface area scales with the square; meaning cities are viable. Cities without a bubble lifting them; the cities themselves being the bubble.
>>
>>7670203
People choosing to be stupid doesn't change the fact that if they really wanted to, they could use them for things besides snapchat and instagram.
>>
>>7670204
>>7670049
Plus spiderfab will make space assembly a breeze. All that is needed is to make a plot for when it will become economically viable based on technology and material costs (including the cost per kg to get into space).
>>
I have no idea, but our progress will be greater than history has ever seen.
Eventually we will move from smartphones to an augmented reality device that is inserted to your eye as a contact lense. Neuroscience will let us connect our thoughts in real time and use them as a form of input on technology.
>>
>>7670217
You are too young to remember the times before smartphones. The more accessible information becomes the less it's worth.
>>
>>7670222
Before the modern era, most people still didn't seek out more information. They still don't but now they have the tools to do so in an instant if they want.
>>
>>7670222
>The more accesible, the cheaper
Is that why your mom is free?
>>
>>7670049
>I doubt a giant impact will happen or a nuclear winter in the next 50 years. Climate change isn't an extinction event, we just won't live on the surface anymore.
I don't think you know what an "extinction event " actually is.
Protip: it doesn't exclusively affect humans
>>
>>7670049
>we just won't live on the surface anymore.
>implying it will be nearly that bad
The worst case scenario for climate change is that some regions around the equator become uninhabitable. Thats not 'we gotta go subterranean' at all. And thats not even likely.
Climate change is a problem because rapid changes in the environment can be a massive wrench in the works to systems built on the environment being the way it is now, or built on aspects of it that wouldnt have time to adapt quickly enough. Not because WERE COOKING THE EARTH WE'LL HAVE TO LIVE UNDERGROUND
>>
File: 1420112365515.jpg (67 KB, 345x363) Image search: [Google]
1420112365515.jpg
67 KB, 345x363
>>7672348
>I know nothing about climate science, yet i'll give an opinion anyway.
>>
>>7672354
But he's right, retard.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.