[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK anons, revving this bad boy up in a new form. I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20151119_233338.jpg (521 KB, 1896x1947) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_233338.jpg
521 KB, 1896x1947
OK anons, revving this bad boy up in a new form. I've been influenced into the opinion lately that you shouldn't draw the whole organic/inorganic line across chemistry, and so I think instead of having /ogen/, we should have /syngen/ . So here we go.

First, I'm getting the textbook recommendations out of the way:
>organic
Clayden, Wade, Klein, Bruice. Fleming's "Frontier Orbitals" is great, and Silverstein's "spectrometric identification of organic compounds" is the dankest

>inorganic
Definitely not my strong suit, but here are some books I've used that I like: Meissler, Cotton & Wilkinson, Greenwood & Earnshaw, Drago
>>
File: Mechanism.png (18 KB, 501x188) Image search: [Google]
Mechanism.png
18 KB, 501x188
Here's something to start us off -- propose a mechanism.

On a side note, does anyone have tips for columning tiny samples? I'm talking like 60mg here. I've walked past labs and saw people doing columns in glass pipettes. What's up with that? Are those columns or just plugs?
>>
File: IMG_20150824_113202.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150824_113202.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>7670003
Oh yeah and I'm hoping people recommend some inorganic books, and also maybe give me a place to pull some problems like the organic mechanism ones.
>>
>>7670007
I think I've seen this problem before.

>>7670003
IMO 60 mg is too much for a pipette column but it depends on how much garbage there is to remove and the differences in Rfs.

I used to routinely put ~25 mg of product on a column 1 cm wide and 5 cm tall and didn't have problems finding or collecting it.
>>
File: 1381219294413.jpg (7 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1381219294413.jpg
7 KB, 200x183
>>7670007
>>7670003
undergrad here

what's a columm?

also, im going to start doing research with my professor and im shitting bricks. how do i not fuck up? what am i generally expected to do? how do i become an asset quickly? i have a lot of respect for my professor. what are some key techniques i should learn or be familiar with? pls halp gaiz
>>
>>7670282
>what's a columm?
a chromatography column
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column_chromatography

read this

https://mega.nz/#!ngsHXApJ!S2GXoXrwvMxeSLFjFNnZv4RqCE38IIqOO0FYf1N6cyY
>>
Oh, you are the guy from some months ago that was saving all his cum to do experiments on? Great ! Whachya doing with it? Goying to drink it?
>>
>>7670160
How big are you fractions? Do you lose a lot of product on the silica? Do you run it with gravity? I bet you'd have to keep pouring solvent on constantly
>>
>>7670525
>How big are you fractions?
10 X 75mm tubes, full or half full depending on how difficult it looks (delta_Rf) and where you are in the operation (larger fractions at the outset, smaller in the middle, larger again at the end).

>Do you lose a lot of product on the silica?
no, as above no issues w/recovery

>Do you run it with gravity?
no, flash

>I bet you'd have to keep pouring solvent on constantly
Yes and no. The glass column is single piece: 1cm wide by 30 cm tall with a 250 mL bulb. I only put 5 cm of 'wet' packed silica in it for the separation. Plenty of head-space.
If you run a gradient, then of course you have to keep putting on solvent as you change up the solvent system.
>>
>>7670545
Wait a minute, so you're not using a pasteur pipette as your column? I might have just misinterpreted it, but I could have sworn I saw pasteur pipettes packed with silica in one of the labs on my floor
>>
>>7670365
What? I hope that's not semen in that separatory funnel.
>>
>>7670610
A Pasteur pipette as a column? How would you even do that without a pump? It would take forever for anything to elute.
>>
>>7670977
pipette bulb. Not a constant flow rate, and your hand will cramp like a motherfucker, but it works.
>>
>>7670003
I boiled down water from the tap at my dorm and the bottom is encrusted with some nasty, basic tasting salts. how do I identify these salts?
>>
>>7670003
any good books about biochemistry you might be able to recommend?
>>
>>7671260
Mass spec I guess?
>>
>>7670007
Post answer.
>>
>>7671260
Dick spectrometry
>>
>>7671578
I don't have it kek
>>
>>7671924
kek
>>
I'm applying to PhD programs for organic synth and organometallics (I just like working with mechanisms to make shit). Is it hard to get accepted anywhere? I have decent grades and 2 years research experience + summer fellowship. I heard that's most important. Also all my professors love me for my work ethic. I've applied to schools from rank 20 to rank 130 according to us news. What are my chances of being accepted?
>>
>>7670007
You can buy pipettes with ticker walls and larger diameters (called "monster pipettes", no joke) that are really good for that stuff. You probably don't want to go over 50 mg on those guys, but you can column on them and use flash techniques so they'll go quick. You'll need to load new solvent frequently, but it's better than shit.

Best separation is when you use very small fractions (maybe 6-8 drops; eppendorf tubes are really good and disposable) and clip off a lot of the end of the pipette so there's less time for your liquid to mix in that space.

Alternatively you can prep plate, but it's kind of expensive to do habitually and only works on 20 mg (or less) scale.
>>
>>7670007
I'm a bit out of practice with my organic mechanisms, but damn this one is head scratcher. I've been looking at it for a while now. Can't think of how that ester will open and leave for the substitution of N in the final ring. Also the ethyl-dioxide formation is beyond me at the moment. Good luck with this one lol.
>>
>>7670007
First step is probably a Cornforth rearrangement.
>>
>>7672951
Google average gpa/gre scores and make an educated guess, don't ask us. Do we look like damned statisticians?

>>7670003
Does /syn/ keep up with ASAP's? Are they really that important? All I ever see is stuff about industrial processes and shit, with an occasional interesting article
>>
File: 20151121_182934.jpg (237 KB, 1101x1358) Image search: [Google]
20151121_182934.jpg
237 KB, 1101x1358
>>7670007
damn, here's my attempt
1) acetone acts like an acid catalyst
2) tetrahedral intermediate
3) buncha rearrangements, all reversible, all with catalytic acetone/iodide
4) ring-opening. Must be irreversable in order to get 97% yield
5) Sn2
>>
>>7673457
Keeping up with modern literature is vital if you're doing research. If you don't know the state of the art, there's *no* way you'll ever know what's beyond the state of the art.
>>
>>7670282
a column is an evil monster that eats up time, solvent, and crude product, and occasionally spits out pure product if the planets are aligned right and god is having a good day
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.