[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /sci/ smoke? Why not? Don't you know that it makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
Does /sci/ smoke? Why not? Don't you know that it makes you smarter?
>>
>>7669496
Don't want to get hooked on nicotine, and prefer not to inhale polonium etc. And I grew up around people who smoked.

I don't have an addictive personality, but I get attached to drugs easily. Stimulants especially. So I'll stick to caffeine and cocoa beans.
>>
>stimulants
>make you smart
Choose one
>>
Too expensive and addictive.
>>
>>7669554
>expensive
spoken like a true plebeian
>>
I smoke because I found that it calmed some of my mental issues. Thinking of buying myself a good e-cig for Christmas for my health
>>
Smoking as I write this, I roll my own tho much less expensive, I spend like €20 a month.
>>
i do in fact, its given me countless social opportunities with good people i never thought id interact [spoiler]pussy included[/spoiler]
>>
I enjoy nice cigars on occasion.
>>
>makes you smarter
Cite your sources, anon!
>>
>>7669502
>don't have addictive personality
>attached to drugs easily

choose 1 bro
>>
>>7669651
I can drop things cold turkey easily, after prolonged daily use. I can then leave it sitting right next to me, in plain view, for months on months.

What I get attached to is its utility. I start to say "yesterday was fine, and if I can just get this done today... then tomorrow I'll stop." Except the cycle continues and the sense of reliance just morphs. Then I stop. And that's that, it's just gone.

The attachment is via removing dysfunction, and because I don't want to be sober. Hence why I wouldn't call it addiction. It's similar, but just not quite.
>>
>>7669659
You are getting addicted to those drugs. You can stop cold turkey after getting addicted, and it's just like you described. Have some self-awareness.
>>
>>7669708
I do have self awareness, that's why I've said what I said. Under your definition, addiction is rendered near meaningless.
>>
>>7669659
I'm the same way. I have a boredom problem. The drugs are just a poor chioce in cure for the boredom.
>>
>>7669566
Literally dying for pussy
What are you, 16?
>>
>Does /sci/ smoke?
no
>Why not?
bad for my lungs and for my money and it makes my head ache and it's so hardcore addictive
>Don't you know that it makes you smarter?
even if it does, i dont care. i use nicotine patches from time to time, but this also gives me headache
>>
>>7669496
I started with cigars, then hookah, then back to cigars, then pipe smoking, then vape, now nicotine gum.

Very occasionally pipe smoke or hookah.

IQ 137
Math major

not a negro
>>
>>7669496
>smoking right now

Seriously though it's the best thing to mull an equation over with, it's like the girl your fucking's mouth is a bong-lite
>>
>>7669642
*tips fedora
>>
>>7669496

Snus all the way.
>>
>>7669797
What's the difference between hookah and vape?
>>
I smoke too. I'm an undergrad in computational physics. Thought I was the only one
Do a lot of STEM people smoke?
>>
>>7669560
Do you figure it's because of the carcinogens or the habit itself? If the former, then consider buying an e-cig and dialing down the digits until you're ready to quit inhaling VG. If not, then find a better hobby. Just throwing advice, man.
>>
>>7669560
It's not a hobby
>>
I used to smoke cigarettes. I smoked almost a pack a day from freshman high-school to senior year. Then midway senior year I bought a good vape. And haven't touched a cig since. I started cause I am a dumb ass but I can't be without nicotine now
>>
I smoke on occasions, to celebrate. I'll never let myself get addicted to them though, I do it because I enjoy it.
>>
Real tobacco, not the toxic industrial waste sold as cigarettes. I roll my own. The key substance is acetylcholine.
>>
>>7669998
spoken like a true addict
>>
>>7670378
The key word is Hipster.
>>
>>7669496
All my friends smoke, and I think they're all faggots for having to go outside for their fix every couple of hours so they don't feel like shit.
>>
File: brain-wave-o.gif (2 MB, 320x208) Image search: [Google]
brain-wave-o.gif
2 MB, 320x208
eurofag here

only thing I really admire about america nowadays is your percantage of average smokers.

because it's the frequent visual impulse of seeing people smoke every day that makes starting so much easier and quitting so much harder.

I hate being addicted to cigs because it's really a thing you make once and can never go back.

>you now know how to pleasure yourself in every life situation where theres fresh air to pollute.

and thats everything about it.

Smoking about three joints a day, makes me stay of cigs completely. I dont know if thats a trade worth making, because ofc getting high effects your body in other ways.

Im very lazy but the only thing I need to do is to swap the occasianol cig with sport and get high after and I should be good.

if anybody here hasnt smoked yet I wouldnt recommend.

just know that what you're doing with your brain, is like conditioning a dog with treats to reward him if he did a task correct. but in your case, you're also the judge of what correct is.

So eventually you will end up rewarding yourself for having a cig and this is the paradox called addiction.

tldr dont smoke, maybe get high
>>
>>7669502
>inhale polonium

wut
>>
>>7669558
More than 5 euros for a pack is pretty much.
>>
id rather smoke PCP thanks
>>
>>7669839

You'll still get carbon monoxide from hookah, due to the burning coals. In vaping, you'll just electrically heat the nicotine liquid until it turns to vapor.
>>
>>7669659
It's the same from a medical point of view. There's both physical and psychological addiction. Habits are really important when you're trying to quit (for instance smoking)
>>
Everyone in my family smoked and quit before I was of legal age and I started and quit when I was 15. Now every few months I just get high with my buds and I'm cool with that.
>>
File: russian_doc.jpg (33 KB, 332x498) Image search: [Google]
russian_doc.jpg
33 KB, 332x498
>>7670378
>acetylcholine

Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) activate ion channels through the binding of nicotine. This binding causes the channel to open, allowing positively charged sodium ions to enter and positively-charged potassium ions to exit the cell. For several decades, nAChRs served as prototypic molecules for neurotransmitter receptors. Current research suggests they may also be important therapeutic targets for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, as well as lung cancer.
>>
>>7670820
So is a hookah pen essentially the same as a vape? I guess a better question would have been what's the difference between hookah and nicotine.
>>
In America, only the dumbest and trashiest people smoke.
>>
>>7670898

A hookah is a water pipe and the substance imbibed is usually a chunk of charcoal that was saturated in one or more chemicals to give it "flavor".

A hookah pen is a portable hookah experience.

Mostly though the real portable experience is flavored cigarettes which are a blend of tobacco and the chemical/charcoal mixture sold for cheap prices on the streets.
>>
File: Albert-Smoking.jpg (65 KB, 1090x600) Image search: [Google]
Albert-Smoking.jpg
65 KB, 1090x600
>>7669496
>Don't you know that it makes you smarter?

Especially since by modern standards it seems so implausible, but Albert Einstein – our favorite genius was an obsessed smoker! He loved to smoke and as he walked the short distance between his house and his office at Princeton, people could often see him followed by a trail of smoke. He favored a briar pipe which became part of his brand along with his wild hair and baggy clothes. In 1950, Einstein said, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs,” Although he loved his pipe Einstein was know to smoke a cigar or even a cigarette as well.
>>
>>7670620
Tobacco plant's root system has an affinity for polonium. It also accumulates in soil from consistent fertilizer use.
>>
File: Noice.jpg (26 KB, 446x336) Image search: [Google]
Noice.jpg
26 KB, 446x336
>>7669529
>>
>>7670926

The charcoal isn't imbibed with any flavor, at least not in proper hookahs. There's a special hookah tobacco that's used and given flavor to (such as apple or mint),
>>
a pack of 20 malboro red costs $4 here in India so smoking is a pretty cheap addiction to sustain.
>>
>>7671351

but still not cheaper than... not smoking
>>
>>7671367
hah that's true but as someone mentioned earlier, you see it so much that its easy to get influenced and once you start there's no going back.
>>
>>7670980

That's interesting. Are you implying that different root systems tend to accumulate different minerals at unequal rates of absorbsion from the soil? If so this might be a good way of leeching harmful substances from the soil by using secondary "weed" systems in parallel to the main cash crop.
>>
>>7671592
That's right. Tea for example has a great affinity for fluorine compounds.

This has always been my argument about "GMOs". The forms we have now are pitiful. We could be working towards engineering active mechanisms for transporting elements you don't want in a crop away from the parts that will ultimately be eaten. You could engineer plants specifically for soil cleanup, to maximize the rate of pulling whatever out of the soil. There's so much potential that private interest has little incentive to risk capital on. The R&D is too high for something that's not well understood and might not have a decent return.

In the case of tea, it's because it's often grown in regions that have high fluoride levels in the soil to begin with. But nonetheless, its uptake of minerals displays the same preferences regardless of region.
>>
>Tobacco
No.
>Weed
Yes.
>>
>>7671351
>implying those weren't rolled in a Chinese basement and covered in rat shit and human piss
>>
>>7669496
I know you're joking, but i've never been so high functioning as I was those first two months after quitting cigarettes. There's no telling how much studying I got done from just trying to escape myself.
>>
>>7670926
The charcoal is lit and placed over a screen to heat the tobacco mixture contained in a bowl underneath when it's inhaled and the air is drawn past the charcoal into the bowl. You're not smoking the charcoal, it's just used for heat.
>>
>>7671601

Sounds like an area that will attract government grants in the future.
>>
File: 1369086795595.jpg (53 KB, 197x190) Image search: [Google]
1369086795595.jpg
53 KB, 197x190
I smoke pipes and cigars with my lab mates and advisor/co-advisor once or twice a week, they're bretty good. There are some rich flavors and a lot of variety.

No cigarettes though and honestly I don't feel any urge to smoke anything ever.
>>
>>7669496
Yes, I would say I'm almost addicted. I mean if cigarettes all disappeared by tomorrow, I wouldn't be so affected at all. Although I do get the urge for it, especially when I'm bored, stressed, sad, or in social environments.
>>
>>7669839
>>7669797
Shisha*
Basically vape is water vapor, shisha is smoke due to the burning tobacco coming from the coals. Water is only used in shisha as a mechanism for the smoke to transfer through.
>>
>>7671592
Mushrooms (using mycelium, they have no roots) have an affinity for metals,. particularly heavy metals, especially radioactive metals. Even today this causes a problem in the Nordic countries where mushrooms concentrate radioactive minerals and are then eaten by grazing animals that are then too radioactive for human consumption without feeding down radioactivity using non-radioactive food prior to slaughter.
>>
>>7669558
>smokes
>plebeian
Pick both.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.