[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the deal with this, guys? Is there anything to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Anti-aging drug mice.png (571 KB, 644x799) Image search: [Google]
Anti-aging drug mice.png
571 KB, 644x799
So what's the deal with this, guys?

Is there anything to this? And what is actually being done to these mice, and possibly humans? I find it a bit hard to believe we'd just find immortality like various articles are claiming

Are the mice actually still aging and will die of natural causes and are just not being hampered by the effects of old age, or did we actually just find a possible way to make living creatures biologically immortal?
>>
I want to live longer, so I can help others longer.
>>
>>7669234

What articles have you seen claiming we've discovered immortality? I'd be more interested in those.
>>
>>7669259
Well, they weren't the kind of websites to use the words "immortality." More like they were calling this new drug "like the fountain of youth."

Just googling "anti-aging drug mice" and some of the first few articles mention it.

I'm paying extra attention to this drug because, well, I really, really want to live until the heat death of the universe.
>>
Oh nice, I guess the last snake oil thread 404'd.
>>
OK, let me give you a story that illustrates how careful you have to be with initial finding. True story but names have been tastefully removed.

So this pharma research group was testing medicine on mice and discovered that one compound made the mice live a whole lot longer than the control group. And it was repeatable. And they all expected to make grillions off this discovery.

Fortunately they did more testing. And they discovered that the medicine made the mice sick. So they could eat as much food as the control group. So they had a better diet while the mice in the control group were eating themselves to death.
>>
>>7671082
So the mice became cannibals?
>>
>>7671084
Or, they just started binge eating until their stomach burst. W/e, it's all horrific shit.
>>
Transdifferentiation

we'll learn to fully harness its powers sooner or later
>>
>>7669234
Interesting if not a hoax. Are we really this close to achieving immortality so soon?
>>
>>7669234

You should always go for the source.

http://www.impactaging.com/papers/v7/n11/pdf/100838.pdf

"An inclusive and
integrative multiomics approach was used to investigate protein and gene expression, metabolite levels, and cognition in
old and young SAMP8 mice. J147 reduced cognitive deficits in old SAMP8 mice, while restoring multiple molecular markers
associated with human AD, vascular pathology, impaired synaptic function, and inflammation to those approaching the
young phenotype. The extensive assays used in this study identified a subset of molecular changes associated with aging
that may be necessary for the development of AD."

So basically this drug reverses some of the molecular effects of aging in mice. Cool.

I've never heard about this "AGING" journal, it's impact factor is 6 so I dunno. Gotta read the article completely.
>>
>>7671084
No. The test group was well fed and died of welfare related illnesses.

>>7671113
>immortality so soon?
Life expectancy is increasing 1 - 2 month per year due to steady improvements in medicine, pharma and more. The increase used to be 1 month per year. Once we reach 12 months per year we will reach what is called actuarial escape velocity.
>>
>>7671301
The rate of increase in life expectancy has been slowing down since the 50s, so we will probably never reach 12 months per year.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.