[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
math undergrad here. when do I get to the beauty?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: _20151119_134512.jpg (144 KB, 720x1125) Image search: [Google]
_20151119_134512.jpg
144 KB, 720x1125
math undergrad here. when do I get to the beauty?
>>
Look at equations like [math]e^{i \tau } -1=0[/math]
>>
when you'll see the proof for 0.999... = 1
>>
>>7669084
>[math]\tau[/math]
git da fok aut
>>
When you see a proof that takes you by surprise
>>
>>7669087
haha fantastic
>>
>>7669084
Because you had to be an autist and use tau, your equation is incorrect. Good job.
>>
>>7669084
Not even correct. Fuck off
>>
>>7669111
Have you ever even seen a complex number before?
>>
two words:

dynkin diagrams
>>
>>7669084
>>7669132
>-1 not +1
Fuck I got bamboozled. It's correct but that guy is still a faggot for using tau.
>>
Legendre's proof of euler's formula
>>
>>7669111
You fucking idiot, it's correct
e^i2π = cos(2π)+i*sin(2π)
=1 + i*0
e^i2π-1=0

I can't even LaTeX and I know this. Don't you feel bad?
>>
>>7669127
False
>>
>>7669140
I know euler's formula, I'm just used to it being with [math] \pi [/math] and not [math]\tau[/math] so when I saw the -1 I thought it was incorrect.

But like I said, he's still a faggot for using [math]\tau[/math]
>>
2+2=4
>>
>>7669076
The Barnett identity
>>
>>7669076
Reciprocals. My head exploded when I realized there are as many numbers between zero and one than there are between one and the infinite.
Also Baysian statisical theory is pretty interesting and useful. Goolgle USS Scorpion...
>>
File: Capture (2).png (105 KB, 404x384) Image search: [Google]
Capture (2).png
105 KB, 404x384
you have to be an autist/systems thinker to see beauty in math
>>
>>7669076

I am a math grad student, but there is nothing more putrid and cringe inducing then these pretentious math "poets" talking about "cold and austere beauty" and "gorgeous sublime purity" of math. Especially love the children citing Euler's identity: congratulations, you wrote down a parametrization of a circle. Shut the fuck up and go spent 3 years proving a theorem before you tell me how beautiful you find math. Oh wait, you can't.
>>
>>7669424
you shouldn't say "math grad student" but rather "autistic sperg"
>>
Math is unapologetic truth. This is why most women don't like it.
>>
>>7669424
>3 years proving a theorem

is dis nigga serious?
>>
>>7669424
I'm so sick of Euler's identity. I used to love it, but then I turned 16 and didn't care for it any more.
>>
>>7669438
The autistic spergs are the hordes of pop-math consuming retards who just passed Clac 3 with B- who think parametrizing a circle is some kind of apex of mathematical beauty.

>>7669451
>3 years proving a theorem
>is dis nigga serious?

Yes.
>>
>>7669483
Preach baby.

What do you actually find cool, if not "beautiful", in math?
>>
>>7669424

In other words, perhaps,

1) You kind of hate and resent what you do, (this is most clear in your last two sentences),
2) You kind of hate and resent others who express any interest in your subject (albeit it is meme-tier interest which is exasperating, I can /get/, but still), and
3) You hate (an) attempt to appreciate math in any aesthetic or qualitative sense.

Now, it could be that, if you were the person who actually took three years to prove something (or if this was someone close to you) , then you might have gotten some enjoyment out of the process-if not from the process itself, then the delayed gratification once the result was established. This is another reasonable way to read your thing, contrary to my 1). It might even be that you have your own personal sensibility of math, and just happen to hate /that/ particular one, which would negate my 3). In fact, I'm forced to consider these since you say you're a grad student and all - people don't usually voluntarily do something that they just straight-up hate for extended periods, unless necessary.

But none of this is what actually comes through in the post. What's actually written is overshadowed by the negativity of the language. It's only I hate this I hate that robble robble robble.

I am sorry that you are doing something which seems only to irritate you, and cause you to write angry posts on the Russian Cartoon BBS. May you never take these frustrations out on a student.

Hardy's aesthetic is a perfectly reasonable characterization of the appeal of math, by the way. When I read math posters here sincerely describing something amazing they learned which is commensurate with late-tertiary-quarternary education (too numerous to all be trolls), the same sensibility keeps coming up: "Now I (they) understand this really abstract thing that barely anyone else does, and I (they) know it to be true. Whoa." And this comes from people who seem to like their subject.

t. a math graduate
>>
One of the possibilities to see the beauty is to notice how (seemingly) non related fields behave the same way (relative to their "surroundings", ie category etc.). When I studied analysis, it was really really meh. On the other hand, when I studied algebra and topology, I encountered the universal properties of topologies and of abelian groups, modules etc., and their similarity struck me. Now I am studying homological algebra because of those patterns exposing themselves to me and giving me this inspiration.
>>
>>7669076
I think OP wants some cock
>>
>>7669487
Most math is cool. The best way to experience it is to go do math, not read about how it's beautiful. Anything I say in specific people will just jump on because it isn't IUTeich, although I am working on and around interpolating p-adic L functions

>>7669552
All of your speculations are wrong, except

>3) You hate (an) attempt to appreciate math in any aesthetic or qualitative sense.

This one. The actual mathematicians who try come off sounding like 3rd rate poets, and the poets and memers on the internet don't actually know any math and it comes off in a painfully obvious way.

It's ineffable. The fact is unless you are going to spend 100's of hours becoming intimate with some mathematical objects and expending creative energy trying to understand them, you will only be capable of spreading pop-math memes.
>>
>>7669622

So it's just down to stop-liking-what-I-don't-like, got it. The phrasing of the middle part of the post indicates that you hate my 3) in a general sense.

And yet, mercifully, in your last line, some more positive language finally comes through which puts the lie to all this. You start using the same lovey-dovey language I've noticed, above: "becoming /intimate/ with some mathematical objects... expending /creative energy/ (understanding the creative process' role within the subject). In other words, you have some experiential/squishy/whatever you want to call it affinity for doing real math.

Your first /sentence/ shows that you have some sort of appreciation of math apart from "it works"! This kind of sentence is exactly what government and education would like children to say more frequently of math - provided it is accompanied by understanding that year's subject matter.

Well at least you really do like your subject, even if you deny your own obvious reasons for doing so. That's a relief.

You're not going to prove RH though; the meme-man from Nigeria a.k.a. "The 200th Crank" beat you to it :^)
>>
>>7669669
I don't know what you're talking about. We already know math is beautiful - just stop writing shitty poetry about it and stop citing Euler's identity, because it's fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>7669076
It's a meme. If you are the right type of person some stuff will tickle your fancy, then you just kind of pursue it out of a vague amusement and because it turns out the amusement can grant you money. The whole beauty thing is just glorified amusement. For instance, Euler's formula isn't actually beautiful.
>>
>>7669686

You're much too smart not to know what the point is, by now :

You've consistently said that you hate anything-conversation, writings-pertaining to the beauty of math, aesthetics, etc. Then I simply pointed out that you're contradicting yourself, and you of all people, rather than seeing a simple contradiction, instead became defensive. It came to the point where you accused me of posting le ebin e^i pi etc, which I never did. Because you love her and you don't want to talk about her, all at once-and hate it extra-hard when others do, who can never appreciate her as you do.

You even came right out and blurted it out your own self: "We already know math is beautiful - ..."

You are TSUNDERE for Math!
>>
Anyone who likes e^ix but doesn't know anything about the Fourier transform or linear algebra doesn't like e^ix.
>>
>>7669725
Or that representation theory is Fourier analysis on steriods

>>7669704
I still don't know what you're talking about. Mathematicians don't need to talk about why math is beautiful to one another, it's obvious. But when they condescend so to speak and attempt to express it to the pop culture it comes out putrid gushy mush. Maybe if they were better at it then I wouldn't dislike it, but I suspect they can't, because it's ineffable.
>>
>>7669076
That image is literally euphoric.
>>
>>7669424

Shut up.

You cannot even begin to comprehend the tortuous existence one must suffer in order to begin to gain a basic understanding of the fundamental mathematical concepts used to build a foundation for learning how to begin understanding the most basic of basic mathematical concepts required to fail at getting a PhD in Mathematics.
>>
>MATH IS BEAUTIFUL
>MATH IS TOTALLY INHUMAN IN NATURE
yet appeals to logic, which is totally empirical
pass on this bullshit
>>
File: 1432359799319.png (94 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
1432359799319.png
94 KB, 469x469
>>7669076
Just look at integrals as a torus, look at the additional functions as cuts in the torus

Bam, the ability to appreciate and define various maths in a single cardesian swoop

Bonus points for finding the base line applicator for the formula and posting it here on 4chan /sci/
>>
>>7669076
At the same point where the pain caused by whipping turns into pleasure.
>>
>>7669439
Truth

>tfw a girl on my course tells me she hates math because it's "illogical"
>>
>beautiful
the proper word is "interesting" my friend
>>
>>7670633

>poster describes the BDSM notion of "subspace", possibly without knowing that particular word
>"subspace" also has another half-dozen meanings in mathematics
>the analogy is perhaps better than OP realized
>>
>>7670772
Did you ask her why she thought it wasn't logical?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.