[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physics PhD student with 109 iq.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 6
File: 1447773718459.png (177 KB, 299x400) Image search: [Google]
1447773718459.png
177 KB, 299x400
There was a guy on here claiming he's a physics PhD with an iq of 109. I call bullshit. Is this even possible /sci/?
>>
Feynman's IQ was 126 or 125 I think, not that impossible.
>>
>>7669045
Earning a physics PhD really isn't all that difficult. It's not a standardized degree, I'm sure you can even buy it legally somewhere.
>>
File: flat,800x800,070,f.jpg (90 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,070,f.jpg
90 KB, 600x800
>>7669045
school is work not intelligence

lots of BS/MS people in math who aren't smart but do it for the money
>>
>>7669045
Yes, probably.
You can make up for lack of iq with lots of hard work desu senpai.
>>
>>7669066

B-b-but sci said you need a minimum iq of 125 to do anything related to the sciences
>>
>>7669049
Do you think that is possible for a person with 109 IQ to have a PHD degree in caltech?
>>
>>7669180
>PhD
>Science
>>
>100 is the median value
>person's IQ is above the median
>person has a doctorate in a field where IQ is not nearly as relevant as commitment to studying and working on exercises.

why is it so hard to imagine
>>
>>7669190
>person has a doctorate in a field where IQ is not nearly as relevant as commitment to studying and working on exercises.
Lol this is not med... Get your facts straights faggot, along with Maths, physics is the field with most required natural intelligence.
>>
>>7669180
>believing sci
Found your problem
>>
>>7669190

So you think this guy was bullshitting?
>>
>>7669201

because all intuition throughout physics cannot be learned and requires a "natural intelligence" to understand it right.
>>
>>7669190
>physics
>studying

lmao
>>
>>7669210

fuck if i know. anyone can bullshit on the internet. but i'm saying it's not implausible to have a PhD in physics with an IQ near 110
>>
lol iqs not real
>>
>>7669214
>because all intuition throughout physics cannot be learned and requires a "natural intelligence" to understand it right.
Lol. The answer is yes.
And we are talking about PHD, phd is not about learning but to create. You just went full retard.
>>
>>7669181
yes
>muh iq
>muh physics so hard
>muh competitive ego
give it a fucking rest /sci/
>>
>>7669214
That comment of yours just show how ignorant about physics, there is a point in physics that you cant memorize things, you need to understand, and that requires intelligence as well... Also what the other guy said, we are talking about research. Not learning.
>>
File: dust2.png (470 KB, 560x665) Image search: [Google]
dust2.png
470 KB, 560x665
>>7669265

yeah i'm done
>>
>>7669275

when the fuck did studying and working on exercises translate to memorizing?

how fucking retarded are you. You don't develop the understanding of a concept by purely thinking about it. You read about it and apply the mathematics to different circumstances while also using your imagination to help understand.

Of course obtaining a PhD requires that you do research and publish a dissertation. But to say that the building block to achieve all of that is some inherent natural intelligence that isn't acquired through the basic process of learning new concepts is fucking retarded.
>>
>>7669293
Learn to read kiddo. I didnt said that you dont need to study. I said that you cant memorize it. And it requires intelligence as well. Not only effort but intelligence. Stop making ridiculous, you already got rekt.
>>
File: 1441961241221.jpg (48 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1441961241221.jpg
48 KB, 499x499
I've been summoned
>>
File: cellogirl.jpg (106 KB, 420x358) Image search: [Google]
cellogirl.jpg
106 KB, 420x358
It's very possible, particularly since grad school is nepotistic as fuck anyway.
>>
>>7669304

Explain yourself. How have you managed? What difficulties have you faced?
>>
>>7669299

No one's saying it doesn't require intelligence.

I'm arguing that the intelligence isn't some natural/innate thing within those capable.

It's developed intelligence and of course it's absolutely necessary to understand the fundamentals in the concepts
>>
>>7669315
There is not much to explain honestly, consistent work, many people avoid the topics they don't understand I try to dive into them. Practice practice practice. If you are wondering more about the PHD side, well that relies more on effort as opposed to intellect than doing the BSc and MSc
>>
>>7669051
>math
>for the money
>>
>>7669335
>Having your own head this far up your ass
>Engimemeerz pls go
>>
The thing about schooling is that you don't necessarily have to LEARN anything to get through it.
People come out of high school thinking algebra is just an arbitrary sequence of arithmetic.
Then they come out of Calculus with that corrected, but with little understanding of the calculus beyond "arbitrary patterns of algebra."

Then they go through grad school, regret every second of it, and then get paid very meager sums of money to copy notes onto a whiteboard.

This is the future you choose as a grad schooler. Break the cycle, rise above, and focus on employment.
>>
>>7669353
>employment
>physics

This isn't the dotcom bubble anymore mate
>>
>>7669045
Le IQ meme strikes again
>>
It is perfectly possible with an IQ of 109. Intelligence is not the same as knowldge. IQ is a measure of intelligence viz.problem solving, abstract thought and such. Knowledge is the accumulation of facts. A PhD in the sciences requires both of these qualities but is in no way restricted by being simply above average in either.
>>
>>7669361
If we're talking BS's, it doesn't matter what the fuck you major in, as long as it's tangibly related to what you're doing. You'll still probably need some training, you'll still need to pick up skills that you never though to pick up in undergrad, and you'll still probably make less money than a fucking RN who can't do basic algebra.
>>
>>7669045
Easily. Like >>7669048 Feynmann had a pretty low IQ too. That's why smart people go into pure maths, so they avoid mingling with stupid people (physicists).
>>
>>7669045
>implying you need to have an above-average intelligence in any area to get a phd
Of course is easier if you are a genius, but it's perfectly possible.
There is literally nothing that people with above average intelligence can do that normal people can't. They might take more time, but they are still capable.
>>
>>7669353
And what if want to do research or be a teacher? PHD dont help me?
>>
fucking nerds, go out and get some pussy ffs

>hurrdurr math physics phd, intelligence trumps all
>>
>>7669378
Explain yourself buddy... Wtf are you talking about.
>>
>>7669412
16 YEAR OLD VIRGIN DETTECCTED FOR THE LULZ
>>
>>7669332

What did you find the most difficult at undergrad?
>>
>>7669051
>aren't smart
>decided to study math for the money
This makes sense
>>
>>7669394
> Feynnman
> Low IQ

Feynnman is a gifted physicist. If he was alive today, he'd probably figured more shit, and revolutionize certain parts of physics.
>>
IQ tests are bullshit anyways. If he cannot find "patterns" in a bunch of pictures, it just says he is a normal sane person. He trusts in facts only.
>>
IQ isn't entirely about your ability to recognize patterns, but the speed at which you recognize the pattern, too. Lower IQ doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to solve a particular problem, just that it might take you a lot longer to do it.
>>
>>7669048
When did he take the test and who did he take it with?
>>
>Feynman teaches himself calculus/physics1-2/early undergrad stuff when he's 15
>well my iq is above average/higher than him so I can still contribute more to science because I was a good student in high school who took all the hard AP courses!
fucking retards, you won't get anywhere unless you are/were motivated enough to go above and beyond when you had the choice to either relax and coast through standard classes or do something meaningful and actually challenge yourself
>>
>>7669830
and he also had a low IQ. which goes to show that IQ is total bullshit.
>>
Why are people responding to this thread?
>>
>>7669180
>taking /sci/'s half-conjecture/half-bullshit casual discussion as a hard-and-fast rule
do you also believe random drunks you meet at the bar when they tell you the moon landing was fake
>>
>>7669412
>mfw this retard thinks getting laid with some easy sloot is more of an achievement than contributing to humanity's understanding of the universe
definition of pussy on pedestal

in b4 virgin neckbeard, probably been laid more than you kek
>>
>>7669890
126 is way below average... Low iq. k.
>>
>>7669048
I recall reading somewhere that it was quite possible that he used one of his lower reasoning scores and was doing it to brag as by the time he revealed it he was already established and successful.
>>
>>7669048
> Feynman having an IQ of 126
> inb4, measuring any 'real' autist - one test abstraction, one test language, getting results of 75 and 175
> 2015, /sci/ still not accepting a 3-digit number means shit - but `mu iquu`
>>
>>7670755
Feynamn would have had his IQ measured in the 60s.

IQ tests are a lot more meaningful now.
Before they used to test things like vocabulary rather than directly testing your deductive reasoning.

Also, the fact that Feynman got an IQ of 125 points more to him simply having an off day where he did not get enough sleep.

You say that IQ is meaningless if you met a group of people who all scored 80 and a group of people who all scored 130, it would be incredibly obvious which group could use their brain better on average, which would be better at learning new things, understanding concepts, using logical deductive reasoning, recognizing patterns...

sure it isn't 100% accurate but as a low-resolution measure of how intelligent someone is , it is far from meaningless.
>>
>>7670769

Your example is absolutely right - there ARE differences in mental capabilities. Todays tests may be more accurate, but they still say nothing about other contributing factors (that we know or know nothing about).

Sure my good friend rocks his PhD in some field of algebraic research, and I deem him surely more intelligent in that regard than me (with a certain fuzziness lets call it 'abstraction') - I still sometimes read over his papers since his articulation is terrible.
(Just the first thing that sprung into my mind, not to be generalized).

I am just sick of this rating-scheme, comparing this with that, especially often felt here. Its pointless in my opinion, and whats even worse, it may neglect any potential that might change cognitive abilities to the better.
>>
depends on iq test

sometimes score 117, 126, 137, 141, 150, etc.

do the hard ass ones and if you can get 140+ you are boss mode
>>
If you believe that IQ correlation bullshit you're not a scientist, you're more like a religious dumbass or a pop sci guy. Look at studies not your own guesses
>>
>>7669201
>>7669201
All this guessing. Where are your studies? You can't just think it's right. That's what stupid people do
>>
>>7669045
cos its so high, right?
>>
>>7670769
>>7670755

What I read on Feyman's IQ was that his 125 score came from two things. First, the test had a very low ceiling, topping out at 2 std above the mean, around 130 or 135 or so. Second his verbal was probably 1 std above the mean, around 115 (apparently, he didn't concern himself much with spelling or grammar or whatever else).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/finding-the-next-einstein/201112/polymath-physicist-richard-feynmans-low-iq-and-finding-another

See #3.
>>
>>7669045
>There was a guy on here claiming he's a physics PhD with an iq of 109. I call bullshit. Is this even possible /sci/?

yes. psychology is bullshit. therefore anything coming out of psychology (including IQ) is pseudoscience.
>>
>>7669323

I hope you are either trolling or are not looking at getting a phd through hard work over intelligence.
Heard of "weeder" courses?
>>
>/sci/ talking about IQ
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. This board loves talking about themeselves. This is board like a midday housewives club.
>>
>>7669045
I.Q really just affects the rate at which you'll be able to absorb and maintain information. The human brain is still just as malleable for people with an average I.Q -- if they study and apply themselves, they'll learn just the same.
>>
OP this is important, please read this.

If you're just curious I couldn't give less of a shit but if some of you are low-aptitude undergrads interested in a PhD please:

1) Read this post.
2) Go on to ACTUAL SITES FOR PROSPECTIVE PHD STUDENTS AND SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY.

Long story short, if you aren't particularly intelligent, but are diligent, discipline and most importantly a good person you will lead a prosperous and happy life most likely.

However, if you only managed to get your grades by working four times as hard as all your other classmates (emphasis on ONLY, many a times working this hard is just a intelligent students completing a criteria of sufficiency for perfect grades ~3.9) then the elitist scumbags in gradschool will eat you alive and shit on your corpse.

Gradschool requires a good amount of aptitude, even if you get accepted based on stellar undergrad grades it is more than possible that you get crushed by actual grad courses (during which you won't have the time to work harder than your classmates, who will also likely be using all their available time and attacking shithard problem sets with all if not more of your gusto).

Of course, I'm only speaking of decent-good grad programmes (let alone the prestigious ones).

You can go ahead and do your degree from a low-ranked university if your up for it though, the competition their is likely looser, however don't expect to get anywhere even in these ones if you are "stupid" in natural intelligence by any means.

If you do this, don't expect too much of a career in academia, let alone contributing to the body of knowledge of science.
>>
>>7669181
I've never actually had my IQ measured and while I feel confident I would score above the median, I doubt it would be much more than 1 std above the mean.

I don't have a PhD but I did attend Caltech as a CC transfer. I did terribly in HS and wasn't particularly gifted as a child and it goes to show you can make it even at "elite" institutions with proper work ethic and motivation.

I should add that I did MechE as I wasn't smart/dedicated enough for Math/Physics.

I can also say that in a number of cases people who I considered absolutely brilliant and on an entirely different plane of intelligence relative to myself have ended up in less prestigious academic positions than those that I considered closer to my own level.

Obviously, at the very highest levels, guys like the Loh brothers are extremely high IQ and do exceedingly well, but I've known others who have gotten top academic appointments whom I wouldn't consider geniuses. Certainly smart, but more importantly, creative, disciplined, and hard working.
>>
>>7673871
>I wasn't smart/dedicated enough for Math/Physics.
but math/phys are both easier than engineering
>>
>>7673796
You assume every intelligent person wants to go into academia or grad school for that matter. I've notice that a lot morons are getting PhD from top schools. Finding the explanation for shithard problem is not a question of degree but right place and right time.
>>
>>7673876
I feel this might depend heavily on the institution.

At Caltech, undergrad Math/Physics is pretty fucking rigorous and taught at breakneck speed. The programs are small, particularly in Math, and are generally taught to the abilities of the top students, I wouldn't have been able to keep up.

I sat in on a Differential Topology course once with several of our Putnam competitors and was blown away at the speed topics were covered.

On the other hand, if you have what it takes do do Math at Tech, its generally regarded as one of the easier majors in terms of grading. Almost everyone gets A's in Math.
>>
>>7673895
The most popular major at CT is biology. Math and Physics is still underpopulated at CT. Also they're getting A's because they are the best students in math. For three years its just plug and chug math.
>>
>>7669045
How fucking stupid are you?
Jesus christ, I actually though /sci/ didn't REALLY believe that certain things require a minimum IQ above average.
PLEASE tell me you are trolling.
>>
>>7673902
By CT, are you referring to Caltech? I've never heard anyone use that designation before.

If so then yes, those majoring in Math do tend to be the best at it. Although, it is still considered one of the easiest majors in terms of grading.

Bio is not the most popular major, not by a long shot. In fact, its generally considered one of the worst things to major in here.
>>
>>7673924
I remember the statistics they post by major and I saw bio being number 1. Its the same rate at MIT. Maybe it has changed. Engineering is obviously popular. They produce the engineers who work for JPL and NASA.
>>
>>7673947
Engineering usually hovers around 35% of the graduating class.

I've done several research projects at JPL and I served on our undergrad admissions council but unless I'm completely off my rocker I don't think I've ever seen Bio above ~15% of the total graduating class. Its definitely below Engineering, Chem, maybe even Physics.

I think Math usually hovers around ~5%.
>>
>>7673969
What is like to work at JPL? I know they like to hire locally, instead of going out of state. LA has quite a few good engineering schools. Bio is losing popularity. Everyone that want to do physics goes to Caltech. Its a superior school on the subject. Stanford and UCB don't come close. Most engineering grads from Caltech end up at NASA/JPL, Aerospace corporation, Boeing, and the DOD labs near the schools.
>>
>>7674050
>What is like to work at JPL?
I enjoyed my time there. It's mostly staffed by Caltech researchers so it was similar to being in an academic setting. The campus and research facilities are top notch and the work/life balance is very nice.

>I know they like to hire locally, instead of going out of state.
I don't think this is much of an issue. They happen to hire lots of people from Caltech b/c its nearby and there are lots of collaborative research projects but I don't think there is any regional preference given.

>Bio is losing popularity.
I don't think this is true but Caltech is not the best place for it, its never been a huge program at the undergrad level here.

>Most engineering grads from Caltech end up at NASA/JPL, Aerospace corporation, Boeing, and the DOD labs near the schools.
I've done research at Aerospace Corp as well, fewer Caltech alumni than at JPL. I think far more go into private industry than JPL/NASA/DOD work.
>>
>>7674085
> The campus and research facilities are top notch and the work/life balance is very nice.
That's awesome. What projects did you work on? If you can talk about them.
JPL sits atop a hill while caltech is the bottom if I I remember correctly. I do notice a few people from USC/UCLA/Calstate folk at JPL. But I see no preference for them.
>bio is not a huge program
I thought it would have been a big program. But its a technical school.
Private industry pays better. Aerospace Corp has a lot of government contracts for the military and NASA. What the environment there??
>>
To be honest with you OP, you're dramatically underestimating the value of hard work. I mean real hard work. Physics PhD's are certainly possible for people with average intelligence, they just have to put in more work than their smarter peers do.
>>
>>7674117
A PhD in any field is just hard work and dedication. Intelligence is optional. Solving an unsolved program is reserved to the 0.01% of the human population who has high intelligence.
>>
>>7674106
>What projects did you work on?
At JPL I worked mostly in hardware R&D. It was very hands-on and they paid for me to attend a couple of cool NASA sponsored certification courses on things like wire harness assembly and orbital welding.

JPL is actually at the base of the San Gabriel mountains, it sits on the hillside. There are some great hiking trails you can take directly from the campus that make you feel a world away from LA.

Caltech sits in a quaint residential/commercial area about 10 miles from JPL. The area just across the street from our athletic fields is an extremely expensive and ritzy area of Pasadena and the city of San Marino. I always loved walking around there.

>I thought it would have been a big program. But its a technical school.
The grad bio program is fairly large, especially in areas like bio-engineering. The undergrad is much smaller but still top notch and there are great undergrad research opportunities, much better than at most comparable programs. It just takes a special kind of masochist to put up with Tech's math/physics core to do bio and then compete for grad/med school slots against those coming from much less rigorous undergrad programs.

>Aerospace Corp has a lot of government contracts for the military and NASA. What the environment there??
I was at Aero Corp in El Segundo were almost all of our work was for the SMC and under the supervision of LA AFB. Much of our work was collaborative with the AF/NRO which I thought was nice since it was such a different culture. The biggest complaint was that everything was extremely compartmentalized and wasn't as open as you would find at most research labs. This was due to the nature of the work, so its understandable but was still very different coming from academic research.
>>
>>7674165
>extremely compartmentalized
Good ol TS/SCI. You're working on a lugnut and don't know where its going to fit.
>Orbital welding
That sounds fucking awesome. You can tell people you're a space welder.
>Bio-engineering
That's pretty cool, and I guess someone austimo will make a break through in synesthetic organs. But I can understand the math/physics core will scare away those who want to become doctors.
>NRO/AF
That NRO has better satellites than NASA. I believe they had a telescope that was more powerful than Hubble. I wish I majored in engineering or physics in college.
>>
>>7674175
>That sounds fucking awesome. You can tell people you're a space welder.
I wish.

>But I can understand the math/physics core will scare away those who want to become doctors.
While this is true I think the bigger scare is that you'll be competing against candidates with really inflated GPA's due to not having to take those core classes.

>I believe they had a telescope that was more powerful than Hubble.
I didn't work on optical imaging sats but this is certainly true.

>I wish I majored in engineering or physics in college.
Its never too late anon. I know its not the same situation but I was a huge fuckup in HS and didn't get my shit together until CC. I doubt most of my HS teachers expected me to go to college at all much less Caltech.
>>
>>7674237
I need to go back and major in Mech E or EE. I can do math but I sooo rusty. If I go math I might do applied math with a concentration in bio or engineering. Its similar to a friend of my, who was a fuck up in high school and went into military intelligence and later graduating college. Dude has his pick of six figure jobs due to his clearance. So your story is quite cool.
>inflated GPA
The bane of American universities. I understand their fear. But med school is overrated in my opinion.
>NRO has better telescope
I believe they said they would give two "aging" telescopes to NASA. Which begs the question how fucking advanced is US tech? Because Hubble it of itself is very advanced piece of engineering. Who knows they probably have a space based weapon no one knows about.
>space welder
Just tell people I am space welder, NASA sent me to orbital welding school. You can get some undergrad strange with that line at Caltech.
>>
>>7669181
Here's how I see the whole thing: anybody can really do well in physics if they understand the phenomena and equations at hand. In terms of post-graduate work, however, a mere textbook understanding won't get them far, especially for PhD students. Research requires a lot of critical thinking at times, and critical thinking tends to be a skill that most average IQ's struggle with (especially if they reiterate and regurgitate textbook material).

On top of this, PhD work can be really stressful and it often entails a lot of hard work. Anybody can really do hard work, but higher IQ's tend to do less work because they may understand the problem at a deeper level than their more average peers.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just a freshman who struggles remembering to do the most menial of tasks.
>>
>>7669933
>contributing to humanity's understanding of the universe

you're contributing to humanity's understanding of the universe by posting on 4chan?

is this what you kids really believe?
>>
>>7669045
Brian Wecht
>>
>>7669045
PhDs have nothing to do with iq it's 90% persistence 5% professor assistance and 5% natural ability
Science would be nowhere if we only let high iq students go onto Grad school
>>
>>7669045
OKEY ALL YOU FUCKS DEFINE IQ.
>>
File: 1448142453889.png (151 KB, 285x221) Image search: [Google]
1448142453889.png
151 KB, 285x221
>>7669045
What the fuck is with the IQ obsession? Fuck might as well start studying numerology.
>>
>>7675449
>pattern recognition
Its what makes you a genius. This is natural and most people don't have it.
>>
>>7675457
/sci/ is populated by high school retards. They do not know IQ is a bunk metric.
>>
>>7675513
I know what you mean by pattern by pattern recognition. Its noticing something reoccurring within in a pattern. The famous one is the golden ratio.
>>
>>7669049
Phd doesnt mean shit. But on meth it does!
No but really a phd from a non joke university does mean something. At princeton i heard about a chem grad student who tried to get her phd for 15 yrs b4 giving up. 15 yrs hard work= no phd from princeton. We dont fuck around. All good tho that girl probably went to duke and got her phd there in a year. Or vanderbilt to get it in 2 weeks.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.