[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, for my Advanced Physics course we were assigned the project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: p6170030.jpg (120 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
p6170030.jpg
120 KB, 800x531
So, for my Advanced Physics course we were assigned the project of building a device that could launch a tennis ball. They will be scored for accuracy and distance, and it is a competition. What I'd like to know from you guys is how many different ways there are to propel something, such as a spring-powered mortar-style launcher or torsion-powered swinging arms as in pic related.

I like to hear what you guys know of.
>>
Two motorized wheels squeezing a ball out like a fat man shitting out a few hamballs she had for din din.
>>
>>7667822
Yes, I hadn't thought of that one. Any more?
>>
>>7667806
you could always go for a good old fashioned cannon, chemical propelent works anon
>>
>>7667854
Obviously this
>>
>>7667854
This, or a pressurized air cannon
>>
>>7667854
Yeah, but I kind of wanted to do something a little more original.
>>
potato gun
>>
you need some water, very close to saturation temperature, and a heat source that you can expose the water to in order to flash it to steam, pressurizing the container with the ball in it and sending it flying
>>
>>7667916
"more original" asks for other people's ideas, fuck off please
>>
Build a trebuchet
>>
I suggest radiation pressure.
Its also very easy to build...
>>
>>7667806
>accuracy and distance
traditional gun barrel type of launcher
>>
https://youtu.be/WcNITnbkx_A?t=2m37s
probably wont get you accuracy though.

You could also make some form of modified arbalest.

Actually, fuck that, just do a floating arm trebuchet.
>>
File: 73zJsh3.jpg (1 MB, 1872x2496) Image search: [Google]
73zJsh3.jpg
1 MB, 1872x2496
Just make a tennis ball sized ballista
>pic related
>>
Id suggest a vortex cannon
>>
>>7667806
Put a cannon on a ballista. Fire the ballista first, then the cannon when it can't go any further.
>>
>>7667916
>Stick it in your asshole
>Get an oxygen tank
>Release the pressurized oxygen in your mouth
>Watch the ball fly as well as all your organs

Seriously tho, use magnets and be criative, sheez anon
>>
>>7667806
Build a small launch loop
demonstrate the physics of keeping the loop in the air using the transfer of momentum and write about its scaled potential as the spaceports of the future; use a simple design (maybe using water, a pump and flexible tubing). The tennis ball doesn't have to go far. You will win as well as demonstrate key concepts that may be used in the future of space exploration. I believe in you op.
>>
Does it have to be a legit tennis ball or can it be a ferrous sphere coated in a high temperature ceramic that LOOKS like a tennis ball? Because railgun.
>>
>>7667806
Railgun
>>
>>7669660
Baring that you could also just use a sabot.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.