[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have knowledge of extreme value theory in statistics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
Does anyone here have knowledge of extreme value theory in statistics or engineering?

I've recently learned that the maximum of a large number of independent, identically distributed normal random variables is a approximately distributed like the Gumbel distribution.

But I have not been able to find anywhere how to derive the parameters of that gumbel distribution from the mean and variance of the normal random variables whose maximum is being taken.

e.g.
If Xi are independent distributed Normal(mu , sigma^2) then max{X1, X2, X3, ... , X100000} is distributed Gumbel

But what are the parameters of that gumbel in terms of mu and sigma^2 ?
>>
File: dayz.png (416 KB, 511x663) Image search: [Google]
dayz.png
416 KB, 511x663
This is /tv/

We have waifus and memes
>>
where in the last part of the post, mu is the mean of the Xi normal variables and sigma^2 is the variance of the Xi normal variables.

and the normal variables are i.i.d.
>>
Well I know someone in my lab works on this sort of stuff.
>>
Breh...
>>
>>7666583
olivia wilde looks so different lately
>>
>>7666578
Who is this sea moon daemon
>>
>>7666763
some tumblr girl, the reverse image search should provide a name or url

please help with OP question
>>
File: 1430243873702.jpg (100 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1430243873702.jpg
100 KB, 400x600
bump.
new picture to replace old OP picture that was deleted.

Please someone who is good at statistics respond.
>>
if X1, ..., Xn are independent and Y = max{X1, ..., Xn} then the cumulative distribution function
P(Y <= y) = P(X1 <= y and X2 <= y and ... Xn <= y)
= P(X1 <= y) * P(X2 <= y) * ... * P(Xn <= y)
= P(X <= y)^n
can be easily expressed in terms of the normal CDF.
Then just differentiate both sides to recover the distribution function for Y.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.