[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sci/ im doing pretty shit in calculus right now and just need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: 1447126084642.jpg (71 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1447126084642.jpg
71 KB, 720x540
/sci/ im doing pretty shit in calculus right now and just need to know how bad you guys were doing before your grades were curved/lowest exam score was dropped.
>inb4 hur durr grading curves
>being american
>>
>>7666362
> Being subjected to a class wide sigmoid function for grades
> being a citizen/resident of the United States
ISHYGDDT
We shitposting in here
>>
>>7666367
thanks for the bump i guess
>>
I got a 60% on a graph theory midterm but after the curve it was a 100% because it was the high score in the class.

I asked the prof and he said an average student who studies very hard should get a 50% on his exams before curving and anything above a 50% is considered very good work.

I kinda hate curves though.
>>
>>7666362
Got a 57% on my chemical extraction of metals midterm.

Class average of 30%. No curve because real university.

Best 57 I've ever gotten.

If are doing poorly in calculus at this point in the semester you're likely just going to fail and need to take it again.

Nothing wrong with that, I had to take thermo I twice. Nailed it on the head the second time around, 100% on my final. Just don't fuck up again OP and keep up with your coursework next time.
>>
>>7666456
I-i can still make it. I have finals next month and all I have to do is make a decent grade on that and I can come out with at least a 70% with my over all grade. I dont wanna have to retake this class. I don't have that kind of money.
>>
>>7666362
I'd get consistent 50% in my freshman physics class, but after the curve it was always an A. Lucky for me it was an 8 a.m. class and everyone else in the class gave less of a shit than I did.
>>
I don't even know how someone could get anything below a 70 average on Calc 1, even with the most generous curve.

OP, if you're struggling with Calc 1, I suggest you switch to business or a non-STEM degree. Just some realistic advice that will save you a lot of time and money.
>>
>>7666606
You don't need a degree to get a business related job any non stem work for that matter. All that matters is experience. I'd still be wasting my time if that was the case.
>>
>>7666362
Calculus is a weedout class, it is not curbed
>>
File: 1372041887494.jpg (87 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
1372041887494.jpg
87 KB, 640x448
OP's fw calc ii
>>
Top 3 of my calc class, got 2 As on the exams and 8/12 quizes i got As. Homework grade is holding me back. 40 questions for every section of the first 7 questions, thats 1920 questions +/-100 to be done by the end of the semester, i got half of that done so far
>>
>>7666790
First 7 chapters* without chapter 6
>>
>>7666717
No, it curb stomps casuals
>>
>>7666790
You should thank your professor for assigning so much homework. They're basically forcing you to practice.
>>
>>7666790
Homework grade?

What the actual fuck?
>>
>>7666819
Technically its the "participation and attendence" grade.

Homework is due at the end of every class, but i get mostly Cs cuz i only do the challenging questions and some warm up
>>
>>7666362
>get A in combinatorics
>get A in operational research
>get A in game theory
>get A in statistics(intro and much much harder version)
>get A in graph theory
>get A in applied algebra
>get A in every fucking applied math class
>C in calc II

Seriously, fuck Calculus
>>
>>7666948
Why is calc 2 so hard when calc 1 is so easy?
>>
>>7666456
I agree it's likely you might need to take it again but I was getting #wrekt in calc until I found out how I best absorb information, so maybe op's problem is that he doesn't know how to study
>>
>>7667034
In my experience it's sequences and series, the trig myth is bs because you can derive it all from the unit circle. Every integration technique you learn is just slightly modifying the algebra to shit, but imo series are nasty because you gotta be able to really pierce the surface see what's happening so it's more than plug and chug d/dx's and integrals
>>
>>7666590
Oh, you're fine then, a C in calculus isn't the end of the world. Even if it brings your GPA down you will learn your lesson and a GPA trend from low to high can be interpreted as better than just someone who has always had a high GPA because it indicates to them that you are capable of adapting and learning, not just doing the same thing you've always done because it's worked before.

Source: many interviews where I turned my bad GPA into a positive talking point based on the trend from 2.0 in first year to 3.8 in 4th year. Still averaged too pretty bad but employers like seeing things like that if you can spin it.
>>
>>7666362
I took it in junior year of high school and got a 65 on the first exam. there were no curves so i learned how to think and got above a 90 on the remaining exams and got an A in the class
>>
>>7667090
sequences and series are easy. the part I struggled the most with was definitely all the funky weird trig integrals just because it was so much to remember.
>>
>>7667034
Canadaguy here, I personally feel, and have corroborated with some others, that the reasoning for CalcII's difficulty lies in the lack of preparation in highschool. I agree with >>7667090 on the sequences / series, they were hardly touched. Sigma notation and its nuances were never taught, no change of index, or any other laws other than the intuitive associativity / distributive etc. Calculus is pushed so hard in HS where I went, and through the AP program you could get credit for Calculus 1. But, do that and then take calc 2 after not doing calculus for so long and you'll get fucked, because youre not introduced to a university-level class which carries with it difficulties outside of content, the profs are tougher, there is less lecture time, content is quicker, etc so Calc 2 fucks you in the ass for it. Additionally of course is the ~20 different aspects of integration, derivatives are essentially limited (in 1 / 2 anyways) to chain rule and prod / quot rules. Integration brings u-sub, trig-sub, IBP, partial fractions, etc, as well as integrals which are literally impossible and undefined. working with e^x as well did throw me for a bit when it's used in the denominator or something. A friend of mine took AP, performed well, got credit for calc 1 and went to calc 2 and failed. I passed with a very mediocre grade.
>>
>>7669503
was that AP AB or BC? BC covers Calc II material
>>
You guys get your lowest grade dropped/curved?

Even my community college doesn't do that.
Anyways, now that you've been introduced to the type of math you'll be working with, you should do fine in Cal II (hopefully). Save your stress for more difficult math.
>>
>>7669674
Depends on the professor, most of the time I've had profs that did that it was actually warranted like 60% average across the board in the class kinda deal.
>>
B- in calc I/II

nothing got dropped

life goes on after first year

pure math grad student now
>>
>>7669772
Phd?
>>
>>7669886
masters
>>
>>7666362
78 in Stochastic Processes. Class average of 56.
>>
>>7669652
AB. Not much done on u-subs and the like but integration was covered a little, so Calc 2 wasn't *totally* Greek to us
>>
>struggling with calculus
did you dumbasses not take it in highschool?
>>
>>7669990
nope, I grew up in foster homes and my schooling regularly got set back as different schools had different curricula and family life didn't really allow me to excel much in school.

I started going to community college then university at 20, as my income permitted. Took precalc in CC then moved on to calc when i transferred to university

gone up to linear algebra now and i thought it was really fun but i don't profess any math superiorities

i had a hard time with calc 2 though
>>
>>7669990
Not OP, but Calculus for my highschool was only available if you got two teacher's recommendations and showed suitable grades in prior math classes (A's basically).

My friend who was an A student and valedictorian had trouble with it. The assistant teach just let them cheat on all the tests after seeing how bad they did on the first one.
>>
>>7670000
>valedictorian can't even calculus
Holy fuck what a shit tier school. Like, fucking how?
>>
>>7670005
We had kids taking multivariable by senior year, how did everyone in their school struggle with first year Calc.
>>
is this thread a joke?

fucking calc 1 is a walk in the park wth.
>muh derivcatives
>muh integrals

hardest part of calculus was probably the world problems, but practice makes perfect.

I'm taking calc2 n 3 right now. I have an 82% in 2 and a 84% in 3. I will hopefully boost it up to a high B/low A by the next exam and hope i A's the finals for good grades.

This shit isn't that bad if you study n memorize your trig.
>>
>>7670197
We had kids speaking three languages by 1st year primary, how do highschool students struggle to learn "a little bit" of a language over 4 years?

Same situation, different levels of exposure as they explore their personal interests and familial/cultural needs.
>>
My first/second year I was averaging 50-60s.
90% is my lowest mark I've gotten this year.

Just keep going.
>>
Passed calc 2 with a 55
>>
I literally got 100% on my calculus finals, and I am in chemistry.
>>
>>7669990
No you privledged shithead. We didn't have anyone to teach it at my HS.
>>
>>7670776
Did your math teachers not go to college?
>>
>>7670721
community colleger detected
>>
>>7670790
Some of them were still in college and we had a shit ton of substitute teachers that weren't really qualified to be actually teaching. The school was desperate for teachers so they hired literally anyone that applied even if they didnt even meet requirements. Which was illegal btw, but the Student Board never found out so it was all good. Im not gonna explain to some fuccboi online why exactly my HS was complete shit. It just was ok
>>
>>7670828
>Which was illegal btw, but the Student Board never found out so it was all good.
you wouldn't have gotten in trouble if the school board found out, so why are you saying it's all good? You're a student, you should care about your education more than what consequences your school has to face, especially if you're failing calc 1.

>Im not gonna explain to some fuccboi online why exactly my HS was complete shit.
I already know why. You're just poor. But don't fret, calc 1 is probably the easiest thing to teach yourself if you have an internet connection. There are no excuses for you other than "I don't wanna its too hard"
>>
>>7670776
This. My HS was so understaffed, the two math teachers we had (for over 3000 students) refused to teach it, and since Texas considered it an "elective" for HS students, no one could force them to.
>>
>>7666800
Epic
>>
>>7670860
Should have transferred
>>
>>7671069
oh fuck off you yuppy
>>
>>7666948
Calculus is quite possibly the most applied math there is.
>>
>>7671069
You really should just kill yourself for having such a narrow life view.
>>
>>7666948
>Get an A in calc II
>Engineering friends retake it because they got a C
>Tfw biology major
>Tfw calc II ain't shit
>>
File: 1445205423993.jpg (56 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
1445205423993.jpg
56 KB, 1111x597
>>7666362

>Being american
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.