[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No shame thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: 4077638666_cbc20a5bb2_b.jpg (338 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
4077638666_cbc20a5bb2_b.jpg
338 KB, 1024x768
mfw I'm 27

mfw I started watching pre-algebra videos by because I want to know math well (I've nearly forgotten everything except the basics since I graduated)

mfw I'm not ashamed of that and instead take great pleasure in learning something for the sake of learning

share your old guy/new knowledge story
>>
>>7665231

I'm doing my master's at 25. I'm definitely more mature now and I have a 4.0 so I think things worked out for the best.
>>
Keep on truckin' OP!
>>
>>7665231
I myself am not old (yet) but a friend of mine went back to school and is currently in his senior year of physics at the ripe age of 35. Keep doing what you love OP
>>
30year old undergrad here. going to eventually get my phd in pure math.
>>
I'm 25 and still muddling along through an undergraduate degree

Been taking evening classes since 2007, almost ready to graduate (with no debt!), kind of scared of the idea and don't know what to do next
>>
I guess math has its own kind of pleasure emotion on our brain. It is really something else to understand the beauty and complexity
>>
>>7665231
If you ever need some help I can tutor you for free over Skype. I'm a calc 2 student.
>>
>>7665524
Don't do this OP. This same guy wanted to "tutor" me but all he ended up doing was sticking cut apples and rolled up lint up his ass on Skype. After 3 sessions of this, I decided to just study by myself
>>
No shame? Alright

I am 19 y/o sophomore transfer student from a CC currently taking MATH 150 (pre-algebra,trig)

I also want to pursue Mechanical Engineering
>>
I was in a PhD Math program, 4.0 GPA but I had a mental breakdown and dropped out because I was such a social failure. I mean you can't even imagine what kind of social rejects are in a Math PhD program (obviously not all of them, but some), but even among them who got by just fine I couldn't function. That was 6 years ago and I haven't done anything since. Not one damn thing.

Naturally I never plan on going back to math, but it's nice to come to /sci/ sometimes and remember.
>>
>>7665561
Dude wtf this is some aurora shooter shit
>>
>>7665532
This is too specific not to be true.
>>
>>7665285
a masters at 25 is normal. probably the average age of someone in a masters program.
>>
>>7665561
Give us some stories man, like I can't even imagine what would cause such a "mental breakdown."
>>
im 32.

about one year ago, i was high as fuck watching star trek (voyager to be exact). i thought to myself, "yo, i wanna make some of that shit happen." the very next morning i started planning out my curriculum in maths and physics. started out checking undergrad math and physics b.s. requirements and ended up at superstringtheory()com/math/index.html which covered all math b.s. requirements plus much more. i started with algebra and one year later, after that inebriated night, im about to finish multivariate calc and will start physics and keep going down the maths list.

i hope i make it and discover/make something cool. i want to focus on breakthrough propulsion physics.
>>
File: 1390718529201.jpg (38 KB, 345x343) Image search: [Google]
1390718529201.jpg
38 KB, 345x343
>>7665532

>After 3 sessions of this, I decided to just study by myself
>After 3 sessions of this
>3 sessions

Oh my science!

>>7665231

I'm in a similar boat to you OP but I'm on the cusp of turning 30. I decided I want to give uni another shot and study electrical engineering, I just have to remember all my electrical theory from trade school.

I'm waiting for my order of /sci/'s recommended maths book list. Started with high school books because I want to get a good understanding.
>>
>>7665641
Lawyer here. 30 years old. Realized I was wasting my life. Learning math again now with intention of becoming mech engineer.

Do something you love or work will be miserable.that's most of your life right there.
>>
>>7665561
Are you me? Same story but with Chemistry.
>Star pupil at school
>Tipped to got Oxford
>Didnt get in but got Imperial instead
>Thought I was on top of the world
>Struggled to fit in with peers
>Ignored every time I tried to make friends
>Eventually lost interest in my studies
>Whats the point when youre going to be alone forever?
>Now been totally NEET for 5 years, never ever want to go back to STEM
>>
>>7665532
Wtf. Different guy. What was his Skype name?
>>
>>7665231
I'm only 22. Dropped out of society as well as I was able ~16, and gradually shut down. I'm slowly bringing things back into my mind and searching for something resembling reconciliation.

I used to know a good deal about AC circuit design. I knew a decent amount about medicine, physics.... basic logic. I became very fine tuned over the years and built a stripped down version of myself, and walled off what was getting in the way. That afforded rapid learning and allowed me to keep going long after I should have, but it came at a cost. Some of these mental walls are becoming very clear.

I just watched the movie Perfect Blue and although it terrifies me to fuck with something I've worked for years upon years to make functional and livable, I'm going to figure out how it works this time. Frames of identity relative to self experience. I became a slave to myself once, and I won't do it again. There was a point when I could barely put on a different shirt without being forced into a different version of myself, right down to basic abilities and thought patterns. I fixed it. I worked on it. I got rid of it. But did I really? Or did I just wall it off and lock it up with the rest.

Fuck man, along with trying to relearn mathematics, physics, programming, biochemistry. I built a mess. I built me. I don't know what to do, and I don't know if it's worth it to let myself know I don't know what to do.
>>
>>7665909
Stop taking drugs first of all.
>>
>>7665915
The cocoa bean I ate does seem to have addled me a bit. Hopefully tomorrow brings clarity. I can't go back.
>>
18. Don't even have Abitur yet. Plan on studying biochemistry (roast me or give me tips, I don't care)
>>
>>7665909

think less about yourself and more about nature and it's connection to us through it's forces.

you can and will never perfect your real self, so just perfect your ideal self through learning and just let your body follow it.

you should learn to know better, not to feel better.
>>
>>7666343
i did my fucking abitur with 21. calm your tits.
>>
>>7666350
not meant as a way to show i'm retarded
more of saying i just don't have it yet.
need tips to studying, because i have no shame.
>>
File: 1418284919974.jpg (124 KB, 657x807) Image search: [Google]
1418284919974.jpg
124 KB, 657x807
>>7665561
Interesting. Here's my story.
>studied math
>the whole shebang
>somehow lost track
>flunked my exams TWICE
Now, years later I've decided to get back into math. I'll never own an official degree, but I don't care. I have a higher degree in a different subject and work as a freelance writer. A while ago I started to work through my own self learning curriculum in math, very thoroughly, but I moving fast, since I had seen most of the stuff before. Now I'm studying advanced subjects to my liking and even might be publishing a paper here and there online in the near future.

Never say die, anon.
>>
>>7665909>>7665909

Less introspection bro. I found the "philosophy of not giving a fuck" worked well for me. You will never find your place in the world, accept that and start building your own place.
>>
At 32 I hadn't taken math in 15 years, then I went back to college and took Pre-Cal, Cal I, and now I'm taking Cal II and have a 99% average in the class. I'll be minoring in the math (majoring in CS).
>>
>>7665561
This hits way too close to home.

People are fucking terrible.
>>
34 here. Read Hawking's Brief History of the Universe a little over a year ago, decided I wanted a better grasp of mathematics, so I started over with Algebra, and have worked my way through geometry and trig. Working on Calculus I and basic Physics now, and also starting to explore electrical engineering.
>>
>>7665231
im 26 economic graduate and totally forgot everything alge-bra
>>
A lot of insecure faggots in this thread. Nobody cares how old you are.
>>
>>7670682
Take your shitposting back to /b/ where it belongs. This thread is specifically about "older" people deciding to learn something new.
>>
>>7665231

25 (not really old), barely passed chemistry/(basic) math/physics in high school. Started teaching myself and now I'm studying laboratory analysis in university and thinking about doing my masters in radiochemistry.
>>
>>7670682
>missed the whole point of the thread
>doesnt realize that its about showing that you can take on any intellectual endevour at any age
>>
I respect people who can admit to their failures and weaknesses far more than you pathetic immature shitstains who it as a badge of honor.
>>
>>7665231
iM 23 AND I FAILED TRIGONOMETRY HAHAHA
WHEN WILL THE PAIN GO AWAY????
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
>>
>>7670945

>implying bettering yourself and expanding your horizons is a bad thing

get fucked faggot.
>>
>>7670945
This doesn't even make sense in this thread's context.

What do you think you're responding to, and where do you think you are?
>>
>>7670945
yfw i got a bs and ms in biochemistry at 23-years-old and now see my post of pusuing maths and physics 8 years later as a sign of being a failure or making up for a past failure.

presumptuousfagmode.exe
>>
>>7671018
People who are actually interested in bettering themselves don't feel the overwhelming need to try and brag about and assert it. They shutup and do the work.

Get fucked nigger.
>>
>>7671031
If you're doing an undergrad degree in those disciplines you are a failure who feels the need to ego stack qualifications when anyone who is actually working in STEM just go for the PhD directly when they want to switch fields, but usually this is not even needed you can just starting publishing and building your reputation in the field.
>>
>>7671047
yfw you assumed that im getting degrees in my new interests

presumptuousfagmode2.exe

stay angry (depressed). lol
>>
>>7665231
I'm a NEET after graduating with an EE degree, is there any shame in that?
>>
>>7671040

>implying this is bragging

It's just sharing experinces senpai.

Are you that insecure about your own abilities?
>>
>>7670705
what i am saying there is literally no difference learning at 16, 26 or 36. No mental degradation until you are well into your 40s.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.