[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best online/youtube courses out there for learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: unnamed.jpg (12 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
12 KB, 480x320
What are the best online/youtube courses out there for learning C++? Reddit seems to be of the opinion that you can't learn C++ on an online course, and the consensus I got was that the only way to learn it is from some thousand page reference book with very small print that goes into so much depth that it takes any joy out of programming.

I'm not looking for that. I'm just looking for a course that goes through the basic shit covered in a semester long intro to software engineering course (from loops and conditional statements, to dynamic memory allocation, to object oriented shit and events and exceptions). I'm not looking for anything that teaches me what's REALLY going on at the machine level. I really don't even give a fuck about learning how to "think like a TRUE programmer" whatever the fuck that means. I just want a clear and concise course that explains away the concepts in an easy to digest way, and ideally has some relevant exercises. Can anyone help me out? I've played around with C++ and Java before, so I'd say I probably have remedial experience in both.
>>
>>7664883
C++ primer
>>
>>7664883
>reddit

fuck off
>>
Check out "newboston" (or something like that) channel on yt.
>>
>>7664883
>I'm not looking for anything that teaches me what's REALLY going on at the machine level. I really don't even give a fuck about learning how to "think like a TRUE programmer" whatever the fuck that means

Then why the fuck are you learning to code anyway. Fuck off with your anti-intellectualism
>>
>Wanting to learn C++
>Not wanting to understand what the computer is doing at a basic level

If you want to be a shit programmer, C++ is not the language for you. Stick with Javascript.
>>
so you just want to finish this semester...dont even bother to learn its easy
>>
I don't think I'd learn it via YouTube. Books are good because you can pause and leaf through them, go forward and back. Plus they have exercises.

Online is probably okay.
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html
>>
File: book.jpg (30 KB, 404x500) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
30 KB, 404x500
Read through pic related, then start learning C++. Best way to learn is to read a lot... books, man pages, the c++ forums, and most importantly: write a lot of programs.

Also, read the Gang of Four design patterns book.
>>
File: cpro.png (150 KB, 2000x2810) Image search: [Google]
cpro.png
150 KB, 2000x2810
would you recommend learning C with this book?
its very dull
>>
>>7664883
If you don't want to understand how a computer comes to execute what you write, and "do stuff", a C language isn't worth it for you. Stick to high level scripting languages. Python, java, etc.

I suppose it isn't entirely necessary to know how a compiler is generating machine code from what you write to learn how to write at all. But it certainly makes the method of programming you've chosen relatively pointless in the long term.
>>
>>7664883
cppreference.com
/thread
>>
>>7664883
This (>>7664888) or consider Stroustrup's "The C++ programming language" if you do want something deeper.
>>
>>7664883
Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Stroustrup
>>
lets say you study programming 4 hours a day .

how many years would it take before someone would want to hire you?
>>
>>7666074
Depends on the thing doing the studying.
>>
>>7666074
If you have connections, 0.
>>
I understand that you want to learn programming fast and easy, but there isn't really a way to program without thinking about what's going on at the machine level. For example, you mentioned memory allocation, which is a concept that needs understanding of how memory is stored in the computer and addresses... stuff you don't see as a programmer and stuff the computer does automatically but need to think about when you program (or else bad things will happen).
I understand that if you're starting out it may be hard to see this... so I don't blame you. Anyway, here's a really good youtube channel which makes programming "easy to digest" ^^

thenewboston:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83
>>
>>7666089

>^^
>>
>>7666041
>Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Stroustrup
The fucking calculator shit kicked my ass until I learned what while(cin) meant.
>>
>>7666089
>delete[] for arrays
>know how many bytes different types are
wow that was easy
>>
File: program21days.png (152 KB, 744x638) Image search: [Google]
program21days.png
152 KB, 744x638
>>7666074
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.