[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question, I'll be using the info in a future book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Which will you choose.jpg (288 KB, 1174x778) Image search: [Google]
Which will you choose.jpg
288 KB, 1174x778
I have a question, I'll be using the info in a future book if you care.

Would you rather be immortal and continue to age at your regular rate forever, eventually looking so old and unapproachable that you will be forced to live eternity in near or complete solitude? What would you do with unlimited time to yourself?

Or would you rather Live for 20 more years starting today at the age you are now and look like you are in your 20's up until the day you die?

Would you enjoy a possibly short but sociable life or would you rather live for eternity with little to no social interaction after your glory days are behind you?
>>
> immortal and continue to age at your regular rate forever

this makes no sense if you kept aging you would die, your organs would give out, you would start to decay. try thinking something through for 5 minutes before asking retarded questions, good luck with the "book"
>>
>>7664187
I meant age as in physically, your body would function forever as it should but your outward appearance would be constantly declining with "age".

Jerk.
>>
Wait until technology allows me to trade my body for a synthetic one that makes me look forever young.

Checkmate OP
>>
>>7664209
Pretty good I guess, but I doubt you could just walk in to a body-swapping clinic and do that no questions asked. I'm sure you'd need ID to make sure you're not a criminal hiding from the law, and even then who's gonna believe you're as old as you really are? You'd just get locked in a looney bin for attempting it and in a worse place.
>>
File: 1443411784976.jpg (39 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1443411784976.jpg
39 KB, 600x375
>>7664202
you're not seriously this stupid are you?

1/10 got me to reply

>jerk

oh i'm sorry maybe you belong here instead >>>/reddit/
>>
>>7664176
immortal

why is this even a question?
>>
>>7664176
I would just be immortal and then off myself when I decide I've had a good full life. a lot of people look pretty ok at 100. If i could promise myself good health until 150 with appearance of aging, sure. i'd look pretty normal for a lot of my younger life and dying would be on my own terms.

kind of a stupid question OP. doesn't belong on /sci/.
>>
For only 20 more years? 20 more years would probably only get the average /sci/ poster to be 40 or 50, and a 40 or 50 year old doesn't even have all that many negative affects of aging, especially if you exercise regularly, so the 2nd option has almost no upside.

In the case of the first one, once the rest of my friends all die I'd just use the internet or whatever eventually replaces the internet and not have to worry about my appearance. No need to live out in solitude in the woods. With my decades of knowledge and experience I could just be a programmer and get food delivered to my house.
>>
>>7664176
> be immortal
> get alzheimers, cancer, diabetes, can't breath from air way obstructions
> life is suffering

> be 20 years old for 20 years
> know the date of death (20 years to the day)
> stuck looking how I look
> cant have children because theyd lose their father
> life is suffering

I don't want either OP.
>>
>>7664202
are you fucking retarded? How would that even work? Would your skin at some point drag on the ground or what? Your outward appearance declining "forever" would automatically result in limitations.

If you had said you'll be stuck looking like a 90 year old that would've made more sense. Kill yourself.
>>
>>7664219
Fine, I'll stay in the looney bin for 100 years until they believe me. Jeez, you're gay.
>>
>>7664176
>be immortal and continue to age
>at your regular rate forever
This is the legend of the Sybil, who asked the gods (or a genie, not sure) that she never die, and it was granted. I don't have a reference for this legend, would appreciate if someone posts one.
>>
>>7664327
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus
>>
>>7664327
>>7664335
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus_(poem)
>>
>>7664176
>age at your regular rate forever, eventually looking so old and unapproachable

> Thinks the worst thing about getting old is your looks

Not even wrong.
>>
>>7664335
>>7664340
Thanks, due to your help, I found it.
She was the Sibyl of Cumae:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumaean_Sibyl#Stories_recounted_in_Ovid.27s_Metamorphoses
>>
>>7664202
So we're discounting several organs? Like the epidermis? Just for kicks?
>>
>>7664176
Ageing is just the accumulation of damage. If you look old its because you are old.

What I think you´re proposing is some sort of no ageing for 20 years vs some sort of Zeno-turtle ageing paradox.

That being said, I rather die than age indefinitely.
>>
>get old
>look like zombie
i'd just wear a mask and be done with it i guess.
>>
I would become a lich to live forever. I would spend the time studying every branch of mathematics and science, I would discover and invent new things until I learned how to achieve godhood, or at least reasonably close
>>
If you live forever, advances in medicine (given that progress goes on) will guarantee that your looks can be restored so there's that.
>>
>>7664176
Immortality. Potential trumps drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. Also helps that I prefer to live like a hermit anyways.
>>
>>7664176
>
Would you rather be immortal and continue to age at your regular rate forever, eventually looking so old and unapproachable that you will be forced to live eternity in near or complete solitude? What would you do with unlimited time to yourself?

Immortality
Time>vanity
Beauty is fleeting

I'd rather be working on my 11/10 android body as a wrinkled lich to last for the next century
>>
>>7664176
Neither.

The former hypothetical has the possibility of improvement down the line, but even then. Most of me would rather just wither and die "naturally".
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.