[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What simulators does /sci/ recommend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: 1446779629557.jpg (100 KB, 640x1002) Image search: [Google]
1446779629557.jpg
100 KB, 640x1002
Any simulator, I just like simulating things because having fun with simulators is much funner than most games these days.

Also, are Blender plugins that improve the range of things the program can simulate a thing?
>>
File: 40889160_p30.jpg (794 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
40889160_p30.jpg
794 KB, 2000x3000
>>7664085
>Wanting to "own" a catgirl
>Not just wanting women able to choose to have cat ears / tails
What, are you imagining feeding her milk on the floor, and patting her on your lap too?
>>
>>7664092
Actually I favour the other end of the relationship.
>>
>>7664092

A man own his daughter. Deal with it.

>implying genetic engineering will be possible post birth
>>
>>7664124
Genetic engineering post-birth should be possible, but phenotypical alterations would require that to be coupled with some kind of "age-reversal" method that restores the body to the ideals specified by the now changed genetics.
>>
>>7664124
>>7664124
>>implying genetic engineering will be possible post birth
Nanomachines are the only way I can see it being possible, but it'd be possible nonetheless. In the case of cat ears and or tail, all you'd need to do is alter a small proportion of cells. Put them through reverse differentiation, hopefully using some sort of IPC method that's been made more reliable. Insert the right constructor genes, and then trigger them. We already have a lot of the genes and structures for a tail. The nanomachines could intelligently evaluate if the individual's tail genes were still viable, etc.

Ears are the same. As long as osp remain the same, the body shouldn't incorrectly target them as non-self.
>>
are we talking ears and tail only here??
cause that'd be mediocre.

The main ESSENCE of cat girls is their personality
>>
>>7664143
I'd rather we were talking about the OP topic, but one could assume that the combination of cat genes and being brought up as a pet would affect their personality.
I've RPed as a catgirl for so long that I am past the point of saving, I'll probably eventually start meowing accidentally IRL xwx
>>
>>7664106

Yeah, it would be pretty neat to be kept as a pet by a qt catgirl who pounces on you.
>>
>>7664181
I meant I want to be the catgirl owo
>>
Are there any good catgirl simulators?
>>
>>7664225

And I'm a mouse.

>>7664169

> xwx
> owo

I've seen these before, what are they.
>>
File: Vacanti_mouse.jpg (16 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
Vacanti_mouse.jpg
16 KB, 320x213
>>7664085
I got what you want man, the best hardcore simulators out there that will melt your processors to slag.

LAMMPS -- the best damn particle simulator there is. You want to simulate molecules, sand, molten metal. LAMMPS is your man.

http://lammps.sandia.gov/

Uintah -- a set of libraries developed by the Center for Accidental Fires and Explosions for you guessed it, simulating FIRES AND EXPLOSIONS! BOOOM! If you large scale fluid structure interaction(BOOOM!) is what you want to do, Uintah is your man.

http://uintah.utah.edu/projects/15-projects/projects-old/16-csafe.html

VASP- You like ab-initio computations? Oh fuck yes you do, you dirty bastard. Then check out VASP

https://www.vasp.at/

OpenFOAM- Who needs to pay for CFD when there is OpenFOAM. WARNING: you must be a turbo-autist in order to actually use OpenFOAM. Can also solve differential equations and shit

http://www.openfoam.com/

Gazebo-- You get off to robots? Nothing to be ashamed of man, then you should consider using Gazebo and do it the safe way. Gazebo is like the robot simulator these days. You could be simulating ATLAS right now....

http://gazebosim.org

>>7664132
the fuck are you talking about boy? With sufficiently advanced tissue engineering, we could grow cat ears and tails and surgically attach them kiddo. Pic related
>>
>>7664227
yes
MMD
>>
>>7664230
Emotiocons.

>>7664236
Huzzah! A well-written list!
But I don't know what to do with a program when I'm given a library or source code rather than an executable.
Seriously, what's up with people providing source code from which an executable can be made, but not the executable itself?

I'm glad I'm going to be taking computer science as one of my subjects in university, one would have to complete such a course just to have an intuition for how to handle installation of half the software out there.
Also I'll actually have a reason to use Linux.
Speaking of Linux, it looks like ironically, I'd have to be using it to install Gazebosim without using the source code when it's only Linux users who would know what to do with that source code.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (205 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
205 KB, 1280x720
>>7664313
>>But I don't know what to do with a program when I'm given a library or source code rather than an executable.
You compile it. Follow the build instructions, it's easy.

>>Seriously, what's up with people providing source code from which an executable can be made, but not the executable itself?
FREEDOM, you should never trust a program you didn't compile yourself(or anything that isn't GNU PUBLIC LICENSE). Unlike most people, scientists aren't mentally retarded. Also, scientists may need to only install certain components or build it for their specific set up. Besides most scientists will extend these codes, so they'll be recompiling them all the time.

>>Speaking of GNU/Linux,
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>7664236
Alright, more specifically, here's why I can't use any of this software:

LAMMPS
>Compile from source code

Unitah
.>Site dead, apparently only host of program

VASP
>License required

OpenFOAM
>Linux only, or compile from source code

Gazebosim
>Linux only, or compile from source code

At this rate, it seems that all I can do is hope that Blender either has or will have a way of simulating anything I want.
Unfortunately, due to what can only be some sort of overlooked fault, it's impossible to create particles from dynamic textures in Blender, which means that there's no accurate way to create particles from particles, directly or indirectly.
Which is extremely annoying, because there's a number of things that I could simulate otherwise.
Procedurally populated worlds (Wanted to do this for D&D), star formation, interaction of probability waves with interference, setting things on fire, etc.
>>
>>7664323
Problem with following instructions rather than actually knowing what I'm doing means that I don't know how to handle all the stuff I've just installed on my computer for one program.
>>
>>7664324
Uintah is still alive. Site is just down now. It was working fine the other day.

>>GNU/Linux only, compile from source
You gotta problem with that?

>>At this rate, it seems that all I can do is hope that Blender either has or will have a way of simulating anything I want.
kek no. All that sounds like stuff you'd have to code yourself.
>>
>>7664328
Read teh docs
>>
>>7664332
By "handle all the stuff" I mean "Where do I put a whole bunch of random junk I was told to install? When will I know that I can get rid of it? Is there any way I can lump it in with the software it was meant for manually?"
>>
>>7664337
Read the docs. If it's in the dependencies you need it. As far as where you put it, ~/bin or ~/lib are typical. If it's any package worth installing the install script will take care of it.

Wait you aren't trying to install these things on windows are you? You are gonna have a bad time
>>
>>7664227
Catgirl ownership simulator, or bring a catgirl simulator?
Because I have one of the former, not of the latter however.
>>
>>7664324
>LAMMPS
>>Compile from source code

You missed this:
Windows installer package
http://lammps.sandia.gov/download.html#windows
>>
File: large.gif (248 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
248 KB, 450x450
>>7664531
How convenient!
>>
>>7664531
>>7665290
Aaaaand it's a command line tool that only makes sense if you know what you're doing.
Not particularly useful for learning science stuff by screwing around with it in simulators, you have to have already learnt it first!
>>
>>7665310
What did you expect? LAMMPS is a command line tool. OP we believe you aren't an idiot and are capable of figuring this stuff out. Try running some of the examples.

With any simulator you will have to learn how to use it. Simulators are not the best things to learn concepts from.
>>
>>7664225
I feel you nigga I'd be so fucking down with being a catgirl even though most people wouldn't peg me as the type for that, having a GF who likes roleplaying as a catgirl is pretty chill too though I will say

in answer to the real question here though, orbiter is a really cool simulator (with, I'll admit, a rough learning curve)
>>
File: 4eb99ff56a694.jpg (27 KB, 720x538) Image search: [Google]
4eb99ff56a694.jpg
27 KB, 720x538
>>7665336
forgot pic
to be honest though, there's no "good" space simulator that properly combines user construction of space craft with accurate and enjoyable flight and space program management. KSP is trying to do all three but failing at all of them in my opinion

probably a mod for space engine is the best bet I have for a good sim
>>
>>7665330
Well, until I have an education in physics and computer science, simulators that require the user to actually know what they're doing are useless to me.
It's possible to learn very interesting things from simulators, much like how a child can learn left alone with random things.
I recall that I learned communicativity of multiplication by being left alone with a very simple learning aid, and that if I put a cup upside-down in water than it would keep the air inside.
Simulators can be extremely good learning tools, because much like a child can experiment with simple phenomena and ask themself "Why does this happen?", someone somewhat clueless can use a sufficiently accessible simulator to experiment with complex phenomena and learn by asking themself why they are getting weird results.
Unfortunately, it seems that most simulators that simulate complex phenomena are made for specialized scientists.

>>7665336
>>7665344
You could always do what I do and RP as one, being a loving kitty for your master.

As for spacecraft simulation, Space Engine currently has extremely little in the way of flight simulation, though I think it's going to get a lot more in 0.9.7.4 (Probably not enough to rival even KSP in that area though).
But I'd imagine Space Engine would be amazingly good with spacecraft simulation in version 1 and even better as SpaceEngineer finally applies the engine towards creating games.

I'm definitely interested in something that allows me to simulate spacecraft, I've been wanting to write a story about colonising Venus.
>>
>>7664329
Looks like Blender has come closer to any other program to being a universal simulator though.
If particles were given simplistic logic programming like objects in the Blender game engine, and if the BlendME addon wasn't abandoned close to completion, then there would be very little that Blender couldn't simulate with enough creativity.
>>
>>7665494
I doubt you need much computer science to operate a command line tool for scientists.
also
>communicativity of multiplication
besides the typo, what's the relation between the two anyways? I don't see how you can reach that from the upside down cup.
>>
>>7665512
I meant those as two separate things.
I have no idea how one could learn communicativity of multiplication from an upside-down cup either.
>>
>>7664130
>>7664132
how do you guys not know about gene therapy? you use an altered virus as a vector.
human trials are currently on hold after one subject died from a bad immune reaction. needs some fine tuning but very much workable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Gelsinger
>>
>>7665494
Simulators are very bad learning tools. This is because simulators can be glitchy. Simulations can exhibit behavior that is not realistic. A great example of this is the flying ice cube artifact in MD. To know what is not realistic takes knowledge of the system and how to set up simulations properly. You really have to understand what is going on inside the simulation to avoid things like this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_ice_cube

As the old saying goes: garbage in, garbage out

>>7665509
>universal simulator
No such thing. The point of a simulation is not to simulate everything, it's to model your system taking into account only what is necessary to model the behavior of said system.

>If particles were given simplistic logic programming like objects in the Blender game engine
You can also simulate anything you want in brainfuck because brainfuck is turing complete. Or minecraft, or a regular programming language for that matter.
>>
>>7664236
you forgot COMSOL
>>
>>7665729
not GNU Public Liscense. Posting VASP was a mistake.

A free software alternative is the Fenics project:
http://fenicsproject.org/
>>
>>7664085
BAN ANIMU POSTERS

BAN ANIMU POSTERS

BAN ANIMU POSTERS

BAN ANIMU POSTERS

BAN ANIMU POSTERS
>>
File: smuganimeface13.jpg (8 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
smuganimeface13.jpg
8 KB, 211x239
>>7665752
>>
>>7665494
Mmmm I might do that, we're both switches so that's very much a possibility, I really need to get ears and a tail...
I'm hoping that in the future space engine can support a decent flight simulator, the graphics and modeling of planetary surfaces is so much better than anything else out there, it would be a shame to not see a good flight sim built in it because the joy of a Mars mission in that engine would really be something else, maybe even worth getting a VR headset just for a proper in cockpit experience
Honestly getting tingles thinking about space and catgirls
>>
>>7665832
You're not the first, my heart has been longing to be a catgirl playing Space Engine with my master for a long time owo

And I'm poor so I can only use Space Engine's 3D setting that I have to go crosseyed to use >w<
>>
>>7665521
>you use an altered virus as a vector.
I do know about that, which is exactly why I suggested nanomachines. Using viruses is a pain in the ass and only a small step above plasmids. Older adenoassociated viruses have an unreliable insertion point, and newer methods still have issues.

It's much better to use something programmable and intelligent enough to only alter the cells it needs to.
>>
>>7665752
>>
>>7665896
what do you think a virus is other than a ready-made nanomachine?
>>
>>7664085
pirate Solidworks. its not cutting edge accurate, but you can do alot with it and its piss easy to learn how to use.

its pretty much a really sophisticated video game.
>>
>>7667174
For rigid body simulation, solidworks is pretty fucking cutting edge. Shit they even simulate friction the right way and have a geometric constraint solver.
>>
>>7667159
A difficult to control mess waiting to happen. Also, inefficient and unnecessarily difficult to modify.
>>
>>7667186
i was talking more about FEA and CFD.
>>
>>7667174
>sophisticated video game that's physically accurate
Thanks! This is the kind of stuff I need, because I'm not smart enough for any serious stuff that doesn't work in Blender.
>>
>>7667423
Well not entirely. You still need to learn some stuff in order to set up simulations properly. As is the case with every simulator
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.