[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wow, feynman's syntax is appalling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1423562748669.png (89 KB, 543x622) Image search: [Google]
1423562748669.png
89 KB, 543x622
wow, feynman's syntax is appalling
>>
>>7662780
lol every time i've heard of anyone interacting with wolfram they've all said he has an enormous ego
>>
An excessive use of hyphens when commas, semicolons, and colons are more appropriate (or at least would have created more visible segmenting), but otherwise it's fine.
>>
Feynman has clearly mental problems, as in, he doesn't understand common English.
>>
Is having poor grammar the key to landing loads of pussy?
>>
It is widely known Feynman didn't give two shits about grammar. And why should he, grammar is for gaybo's anyway, he'd rather smoke weed.
>>
>>7663055
It quite literally takes one to know one.
>>
>>7662780
>there's anything wrong here
>>
this is why sci is bad 99% of the time - stupid people

stop trying to understand science because its a talking point and go learn a tiny subject on your own instead of shitposting on /sci/
>>
can someone point out the issues without me as a non-merrican overanalyzing the text. (In fact I made the screenshot in the first place. OP, the actual letter is out there too somewhere.)
>>
>>7663765
He phrases things pretty poorly, and uses weird punctuation like hyphens when it isn't appropriate.
>>
>>7663765
inferred institution re: complexity studies and he could have used a semi colon

triple sentence break would probably read better with commas but i don't see anything wrong with it

he didn't need the second dash in the third paragraph as far as i know and it hurts the impact imo

the last paragraph is magic besides the extra comma before fall madly in love
>>
>FALL MADLY IN LOVE

so why are you single, /sci/?
>>
>>7662780
Variances in syntax and grammar are trivial as long as they don't get in the way of the intended meaning, and its accurate interpretation.

I tend to ignore specific grammatical "rules" for written language in favor of writing close to how I would talk. That includes starting sentences with "and" or "but", leaving out nouns if it's implicit what is meant, "superfluous" comma usage, etc. My writing is a direct representation of my mental state at the time.

People can bitch more. And they will.
>>
>>7663789
>1/3 of sci is eng, with a good pop of und. eng
cause they hate everyone too much
>1/3 real scientists/academics
they hate themselves too much, or only find enjoyment in pursuing/spending all their time in the field they chose to be in... no free time syndrome/can't find the one
>1/3 shitposters
bunch of degenerates don't know what love is
>>
File: happy wolfram.jpg (81 KB, 501x504) Image search: [Google]
happy wolfram.jpg
81 KB, 501x504
>>7663016
he's a jew
>>
>>7663776
>and uses weird punctuation like hyphens when it isn't appropriate.

Hyphens have always been used for asides and soliloquies, go read any book by Dickens or any Shakespearian play.

>>7663765
There's nothing wrong with it, most grammatical rules in English are more like suggestions than actual rules.
>>
>>7663789
Because my girlfriend broke up with me, now I'm in the throws of my final year in chemE and I have no time for a real relationship.

It's OK though, got my side sloots.
>>
>>7663807
Shitposter here, I wanna know what love is. I want you to show me.
>>
>>7662780
I understood it fine - it served its purpose (transmitting some meaning) pretty well I'd say.
>>
>>7662780
There must be something wrong with me because I literally don't see anything wrong. Can somebody please show me what's wrong with his writing?
>>
>>7662780
no shit, feynman and most of his contributions to QM are complete baloney.

who's more retarded: the creator of bullshit or his followers?
>>
>>7664632
Explain?
>>
>>7663058
Kek
>>
>>7664632
how are path integrals and feynman diagrams bullshit?
>>
>>7663776
>phrases things poorly
in your opinion
>>
>>7664568
love is dying
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.