[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/vi ew/655010 What kind of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: Graph_example_(Graph_theory).png (611 KB, 4304x5079) Image search: [Google]
Graph_example_(Graph_theory).png
611 KB, 4304x5079
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/655010

What kind of mathematics, if any, provides a systematic way to solve problems like the game above?

(Pic related?)
>>
Graph theory basicly. These problems are often linked to computer sience though, with algorithms like depth-first search and width-first search
>>
>>7659927
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot_Theory
>>
>>7659927
graph theory. Look at planarity of a graphs and elementary counterexamples (K5, graphs having K5 as a subgraph)
>>
I play with feelings. I at lvl 8 atm :^)
>>
Prop 65 Warning:
This activity may contain a problem known to the state of California to be unsolvable by the means of the greedy algorithm.
>>
>>7659961
>width-first search
At least know the proper terminology if you're going to be a pop-comp-scientist
>>
topological graph theory to be precise
>>
Is that e really needed?
>>
>>7660247
define needed
loops are important sometimes
>>
>>7659962
lol no
>>
>>7660236
This is the correct answer.
>>
The one with bridges and rivers and shit
>>
>>7660292
yes
>>
>>7660155
Might be he has a different native language and translated it directly
>>
>>7659927

There are linear-time planarity testing algorithms. I think some of them might also give you a planar embedding as output (probably as a rotation system)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planarity_testing#Algorithms

although if you want to do it by hand it's a bit different.

As some quick heuristics you could do some basic checks like..

If the graph has no triangles, then m <= 2n - 4 and in general m <= 3n - 6 where n = number of vertices and m = number of edges. If your graph doesn't satisfy those, then it's impossible to solve.

if you aren't sure whether it's possible - if you are, just run one of those algorithms on the wiki article I guess.
>>
Wouldn't it be a good idea to find some holes (induced cycles) as the outer plane? I mean you know that in a planar embedding that those have to form regions.

I mean you might end up with less space to work with since you might choose a C_3 as your outer face since those are easy to find induced cycles...

actually scratch that, you wouldn't want induced cycles, you'd want cycles without any paths or chords... so I guess you can't really guarantee much besides triangles without already knowing how it's gonna be embedded?
>>
Okay. Would a good strategy be to find a triangle in the graph with vertices of the highest possible degree, then to just continue to find adjacent triangles to those and embed those close to the edges? Since any C_3 in a graph is going to have to be its own region. I'm on the 4th last level so far by going through a strategy similar to this.
>>
File: last level planar.png (82 KB, 1043x1048) Image search: [Google]
last level planar.png
82 KB, 1043x1048
The last level is not possible, is it?

Unless I counted wrong the degree sequence is:
5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 9, 5, 9, 5, 9, 5, 5, 5, 9, 6, 7, 7, 6, 7, 8, 7, 7, 6, 9, 7, 5, 5, 5, 9, 6, 5, 9, 9, 5, 9, 5, 9, 5, 5, 9, 6, 9, 6, 6, 9, 9, 5, 9, 9, 8

which means |V| = 52 and |E| = 176, which violates |E| <= 3|V| - 6

it also violates some other properties regarding vertex degrees of planar graph, in particular the amount of degree <6 vertices with respect to degree >6 vertices.

I mean, maybe i just miscounted or something... but it's pretty far off from meeting those.

giving a non-planar graph for the last level is pretty evil though, so it would make sense...
>>
File: Nerd snip.png (14 KB, 628x414) Image search: [Google]
Nerd snip.png
14 KB, 628x414
>>7659927
I feel like I was nerd snipped
>>
>>7660269
Why would you use it in this case?
>>
>>7661942
I just beat it.
>>
>>7661942

Disregard that, I was counting the closed neighborhoods instead of the open neighborhood, so I guess subtract 1 from each of those degrees. Oops.
>>
File: planar beat.png (66 KB, 1050x1056) Image search: [Google]
planar beat.png
66 KB, 1050x1056
>>7661951

see >>7661996

I just beat it too. It was actually easier than the last couple levels since you could just orient a K_3 and then orient other K_3s along the sides of the triangle since the graph was very dense (for a planar graph).
>>
>>7659927
If pic is related then I remember seeing that in the MIT statistics/probability lectures.
>>
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU WHY DID I START THIS FUCKING SHIT YOU FUCKING FUCK FUCKER
>>
File: Graph.jpg (76 KB, 655x662) Image search: [Google]
Graph.jpg
76 KB, 655x662
This is where I became too tired.

Basically the strategy is to start with one large triangle and keep putting the nodes one-by-one in place.
>>
>>7659927
Judging by the picture, it looks like it'll have something to do with Graphs and combinatorics.
>>
>>7661063
Really basic knot theory since the lines are all straight. Planar graph theory would be better.
>>
>>7660155
nigga
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.