[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is MBTI legit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: MyersBriggsTypes.png (103 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MyersBriggsTypes.png
103 KB, 1920x1080
Is MBTI legit?
>>
>>7658103
It's bullshit
People answer based on how they perceive themselves and then act surprised when the results match how they perceieve themselves.
>>
>>7658103
people cannot be simplified into 16 personality types
>>
>>7658103
how about just googling it instead of making pointless threads?

here's the 30s work you could have done yourself OP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers%E2%80%93Briggs_Type_Indicator#Reliability

>The test-retest reliability of the MBTI tends to be low. Large numbers of people (between 39% and 76% of respondents) obtain different type classifications when retaking the indicator after only five weeks

it's a horoscope for people who falsely think of themselves as intelligent/scientific.
>>
>>7658117
I've gotten INTJ consistently.

I used to sit in math class and fill notebooks with plans/blueprints on things.
>>
1/?

Yes, mbti is legit (to an extent).

The tests are bullshit though. There are two ways to get typed, tests with answers that change depending on your mood, and analysis of your thought process.

Mbti relies on cognitive functions categorized by Carl Jung. The functions are grouped in an order that makes sense.

I am an intp, my first cognitive function is introverted thinking (ti). Logically my second function must be either intuition or sensing, and it must be extrovert, otherwise my thought process would be completely fucking retarded and caught in a loop so bad that I'd need to be hospitalized.
>>
2//?

Now in my case I have Ne (extroverted intuition). These are my two conscious functions. My next two balance these. My third and fourth are the opposite of my first two, introverted sensing and extroverted feeling.

The P or J just refer to your first extroverted function. I am a P, my extroverted intuition is a perceptive function. If I was an intj, my first extraverter function would be extraverted thinking, which would be judgmental.
>>
3/?

Nots that thess functions do not define personality, only your cognitive function. They try ro establish the way you think. There is a misconception that this mbti thing can put you in a neat little box of letters and say "this is you". The brain is too complex for this.

Cognitive functions, and your mbti, do affect the way you act, and usually most types have similar interests, simply because of the way their brains work. A thinking type will usually be more likely to enjoy strategy games, while someone with extroverted feeling will love connecting to people they care about (if its their top or second function).

Basically, a thinking type is more interested in ideas, and a feeling type is more interested in people.

However this is sortof like saying all fish use gills to breath and all mamals lack wings. I know many F types involved in STEM, and there are many T types inolved in art. But a T type doing art will do it in a very T type manner, think Leonardo Davinci .
>>
4/?

I disagree that mbti is inaccurate. The various types have stereotypes, and certain people fit these. The tests are fairly accurate at identifying them.

However people who do not fit their stereotypes do poorly on the test. By poorly I mean they are mistyped.

The tests are designed for use in companies where it is impactical for each employee to be analysed by a professional psychologist. Knowing this, you shouldn't put much weight on them. And those diagrams on google? A bunch of shit people made up.

Why don't you read some Carl Jung, or at least read about the various cognitive functions, and try to determine what you are.
>>
>>7658103
Overhyped by idiots and professional idiots. There are many psychometric tests that are much more reliable and valid
>>
5/?

Also extroverted vs introverted has different meaning then "social vs antisocial ".

Here its more like external vs internal. An easy example is sensing. Extroverted sensing enjoys experiencing new physical things, living in the moment (physical world), altering physical sensations (drugs). Introverted sensing is happening in your head, its all about memories, sentimental objects, traditons, culture.

Now compare Se to extraverted feeling... where you enjoy connecting to people, helping loved ones, stuff like that. They are both extroverted, but usually Fe is more social then Se.

Nos mbti is not a horoscope. You are not born into your type. You grow into it. You literally choose what thought process you value, and you use it, and it developes. You become your mbti.

Also unlike horoscopes, the mbti personality types dont rely on vague descriptions. They are clearly defined. (On proper sources, fuck the improper ones).

An INTP is very clearly different then an ESFJ. An intp does not have a vague description like "two faced, split, you have two very different people in you". And although an ISTJ might be called stubborn, that is explained by cognitive functions. Introvertes sensing makes you dislike change and weak extroverted intuition (a perceptive function) makes you not accept new ideas. However saying that an ISTJ has sorrowful eyes or a vast soul is absolutely against everything mbti stands for.
>>
6/?

Also, mbti isnt perfect, it gets updated. I strongly recommend going by carl jung instead of by mbti, even though the two are similar.

Cognitive functions typing is scientific. The types are very clearly outlined, they are opposing, and they are paired logically. It is literally saying "some people think like this, others do the opposite, you are one or the other". Except there are 8 cognitive functions, two are obviously more developed then the rest, and one of those is more developed then the other. Logically one has tk introverted and the other extroverted. After that a pattern fills in your other functions. It makes sense. Your two conscious functions must be both external and internal otherwise you'd be a vegtable or youd never stop and think.
>>
>>7658564
what are some of the valid psychometric tests?
>>
Also your pic is full of fail, Feeling vs Thinking? Sensing vs Intuition? Extraversion and introversion arent even functions and neither are judging or perception. Can you see how this ignores the complexity of psychological typing?

Literally this is NOT mbti. This is some horseshit someone made up...
>>
Other tests usually have one thing in common: theyre based on Carl Jung.

This includss socionics and SEVERAL others.

They have minor differences, usually theyre made due to copyright issues or because some psych phd wants to make money off mbti so they make a quick knock off and sell it for slightly less...

Sometime the knock offs are improvements, but its literally like "common core". Just another way to do the same thing.
>>
>>7658581
You mean for personality? The big five (openness, concientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, neuroticism) have been validated throughout thousands of studies showing that scores do both correlate and predict other traits consistently to the theory.
Regarding MBTI, see:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die
If you are talking about specific tests, you can look up databases of copyright-free tests that show decent psychometric properties, but basic knowledge on statistics and psychometry is advised first. The thing with the actual tests that are used in professional psychological measurement is that they're tightly locked behind copyrights and companies make mad buck out of them, you won't find many carefully constructed and tested instruments for free on the internet (although you can still find many which are orders of magnitude better than near-horoscope shit).
>>
Neuroplasticity overrides the fanciful idea of any permanent 'type.' In fact, dependent of what hemisphere I'm using is what type I most vibe with.
>>
>>7658628
>dependent of what hemisphere I'm using is what type I most vibe with.
The fact that you can say this with a straight face shows how little you know about both psychology and neuroscience. "hemisphericity" (which is not laterality of function) is a meme.
>>
>>7658639
Then why aren't there two wernicke's areas? Why does the right pfc make a person sad and the left pfc (prefrontal cortex) make a person happy?

There's a difference.
>>
>>7658646
I literally just said laterality of function (which is confirmed for a lot of shit but still blown out of proportion) is not what retards think "hemisphericity" or whatever pop psychology want to call it is. There are no "right" or "left" thinkers, nor you can "switch" between a "dominant" role between hemispheres because both are complimentary at any given moment, unless you suffer brain injury. Language is one case of a complex "lateral" function that still requires many interrelations between the distinct functions of both hemispheres: roughly, the left provides much of the properly verbal aspects of it, but the right provides prosody.
Also, saying that the left or right prefrontal cortex makes a person sad or happy is also a gross oversimplification, and if you're actually talking about "raw" emotion, direct your argument towards the amygdala and limbic system in general, which also do show some laterality but, as I just said, towards complementary functions
>>
>>7658683
Right and left thinkers exist. I'm easily able to switch between various areas of the brain, meaning a chosen dominance, able to be ephemeral.

The amygdala's 'complementary' to the pfcs' activations of emotions. 'Complementary' because of its /non/-activation. Too tired to do shit.
>>
>>7658694
>Right and left thinkers exist. I'm easily able to switch between various areas of the brain, meaning a chosen dominance, able to be ephemeral.
Those are some hot introspective opinions buddy, where's the empirical data and academic concensus?
>>
>>7658115
>what is classification
>>
>>7658579
This. All of this. Everyone keeps whining about how everyone is too special for this test bawww

It's not meant to be a detailed encapsulation of people, it's meant to be a vague classification.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.