[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
STEM majors, would you work for a defense contractor? why or why not.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8
File: misle.gif (57 KB, 250x212) Image search: [Google]
misle.gif
57 KB, 250x212
STEM majors, would you work for a defense contractor? why or why not.
>>
>>7657498
>why not
Exactly.
>>
>>7657498
>would you work for a defense contractor?

Yep

>Why?

Because humans have been killing each other since time immemorial, if I didn't work that job someone else would and if no one worked that job then we'd just go back to killing each other with large bits of rock and pointy sticks.
>>
>>7657498
Yes
>Good pay
>Looks good on resume
>I have no morals
>>
>>7657498
Nah. Got offered a contract job once, but wound up going into commercial instead while the clearance paperwork was going through. Much better pay, and I help people, not kill them.
>>
>>7657498
>I have become Death
>>
I probably contributed to the death of some kid in malaysia because of the sweater I'm wearing right now or something.
My point is there's no reason not to work for a defense contractor, if something like the thought of killing people is what's in your way.
>>
I'm in the army so might as well, I guess
>>
Yes [eqn] t^bh fâm [/eqn]
>Good pay
>If working as a reasearcher, nearly unlimited budget
>Literally build all the shit i see in capeshit movies
>>
>>7657502
>Because humans have been killing each other since time immemorial

There is less violence now then ever before because not everyone thinks that way. Can't soothe your conscience that way.

>>7657555
>I probably contributed to the death of some kid in malaysia because of the sweater I'm wearing right now or something.

Very doubtful. And if true, you're perfectly capable of stopping that too.
>>
>>7657528
>I help people, not kill them.
You can help people by killing them. Think how much better the world would be right now if someone had told that to your mother. [spoiler] Kidding, son, I love you. [/spoiler]
>>
>>7657498

I'm working for one right now. It's my dream job and I'm loving every minute of it.
>>
>>7657502
That's an incredibly dismissive way of looking at it. "If I don't do it, someone else will" is the reason certain injustices exist. "If I don't make that weapon, someone else will" is a horrendous excuse for doing something many would consider unethical.

You can argue that existence of weapons prevent wars as well, but I'm assuming we are talking about the design of weapons for eventual use. In reality they are used for both reasons. It comes down to whether you feel comfortable making something designed to kill. I certainly am not.

>>7657689
>you can help people by killing them
You're being ridiculous and you know it. If you are going to make a death machine at least take responsibility for it.
>>
>>7657703
I'd like to add that working for a defense contractor doesn't mean you are making weapons either. I would work for one as long as I was not making something designed to kill.
>>
File: 2015-04-19-728568.jpg (264 KB, 557x722) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-19-728568.jpg
264 KB, 557x722
>not working on the next gen mecha suits
Damn son whatchu doing why you not making teh animes real
>>
>>7657703
What's ridiculous about killing to help people.

There are plenty who deserve death for the good of those who don't.
>>
>>7657502
http://www.amazon.com/Better-Angels-Our-Nature-Violence/dp/0143122010/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447448018&sr=8-1&keywords=steven+pinker+violence
>>
>>7657498
are they hiring? have no qualms about creating the next ultimate bioweapon
>>
>>7657785

Yes. >>7657695 here. I work at Raytheon and we are hiring like crazy.
>>
>>7657791
you got room for a molecular biologist, don't mind cleaning the lab for some shekels
>>
>>7657731
Who is deserving of death is a huge debate, but i can agree with you there to a certain extent.

Though, there's also the infamous problem of civilian casualties. i do not believe every person that fights in the enemies army is deserving of death. some are, but not all. weapons and governments do not make the distinction and other people often suffer because of it.
>>
Of course. Guns doesn't kill people, people does.
>>
>>7657805

>there's also the infamous problem of civilian casualties

Modern weapons are very low on collateral damage. Between very high accuracy and other advances it is much more practical to kill only what you're trying to kill assuming the user is not a retard. But you never hear about that because it doesn't fit the media's agenda.
>>
No. Because normally they don't pay for research that I enjoy. If for some reason they would be willing to pay well for something interesting then I see no issues.
>>
Overpopulation is a problem. Wars start due overpopulation. China stopped one child policy. We will get a nice World War 3 in few years.

But wars also cure overpopulation.
>>
You're working last gen stuff. The cutting edge research is done in national labs. The super bioweapons is researched by the CDC. The defense contractors design stuff that will be sold at a mass production level.
>>
>>7657498

For enough money, I'd eat dog shit. So, yes, I'd work for a defense contractor.
>>
>>7657498
Yes. Because shitty humans that don't deserve to live still exist.
10 years ago, knowing less about humans around the world, I would have said no.
>>
The only person that might die from my work is myself after I realise that my autistic pure math degree that I sacrificed my personal life for isn't worth shit in the real world.
>>
>>7657851
>Because shitty humans that don't deserve to live still exist.

So? You know you're not the one who gets to decide who to kill, right?
>>
>>7657889
Yeah, I am. Either I make the decision, or I work for the ones who "feel" the same as I do.
>>
>>7657498

As long as I get paid decently, I don't care.
>>
>>7657502
why don't you start by killing yourself, you pathetic parasite faggot
>>
Already got an offer from such a company and rejected it. I mostly used their offer so I could bump up my offers from other places. In the end though, the defense company had the highest offer, but moral concerns >>> money.

And yeah, someone else might donit, but that someone is probably a lot more incompetent than me, seeingthat I got the offer before them.
>>
>>7657811
>>7657827

only good answers itt
>>
>>7657898
Bruh go work in a national lab. Cutting edge stuff. Way ahead of anything those contractors are working on.
>>
Yup.

Money.
>>
File: Engines_Braun_lrg.jpg (1001 KB, 2431x3000) Image search: [Google]
Engines_Braun_lrg.jpg
1001 KB, 2431x3000
Once ze rockets are up, who cares where zey come down
Zat's not my department, says Wernher von Braun
>>
>>7657689
D-dad?
>>
>>7657498
No, I've heard it's really boring.
>>
>>7657951
how difficult are they to get into?
>>
>>7658197
Google US national labs and look at the one closest to you. The one in New Mexico by the way is supposedly the most advanced one in the network. They're all run by the DOE.
>>
>>7658089
Admirable guy but I disagree with his philosophy. If you built the thing propelling the weapon to it's target you aren't exempt from responsibility of the destruction. Especially considering his work was groundbreaking enough in rocket science to forever be remembered for it.
>>
No. I engage in activities such as going to sex dungeons that tend to not be looked upon favorably by society. Getting and keeping a security clearance would be too much of a pain.
>>
I have a friend who does crypto systems for army vehicles. He gets to go out and drive tanks on the weekends. Says that most days, he'd be willing to pay to do his job.

>>7658302
You need to listen to the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5JmDNpjKYc
>>
File: 2123794-sousukespotlk0.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2123794-sousukespotlk0.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
>>7657498
>would you work for a defense contractor?
Yes. Because there are those that needs to be killed, and those that need to be protected. Before you say anything, when push comes to shove, some human beings will have limited mental capacity or prefer to escalate. Violence is the final form of that escalation.
>>
>>7657818
>implying
Ever hear of drone strikes?
>>
*caution /leftypol/ post incoming

you guys lack political consciousness. working for a defense contractor is the same things as supporting U.S foreign policy.

No matter which side of the political spectrum you are, U.S foreign policy is fucking terrible.

If you hate muslims you are basically supporting the shitty theocratic regimes in the middles east like Saudi Arabia. You are doing research that will benefits the Saudi royal family.

If you like muslims you are making weapons that will kill civilian muslims.
>>
>>7658801
This post is dumb as fuck tbqh mate, I think it is you who is the one truly uneducated.
>>
>>7657821
Nobody will survive World War 3 though . .
>>
>>7657502
The 'if I didn't that job someone else would' is an extremely poor excuse.
Consider anotehr case. The fact that 'someone else would' accept to work as a hitman if you didn't wouldn't render working as a hitman moraly permissible or something that anyone should do.
>>
File: 1442252249513.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1442252249513.png
13 KB, 418x359
After my Physics degree if it is the only career that I can get, of course. Feels bad man that I won't be able to do nuclear physics like I always wanted too
>>
>>7658756
That would make it permissible to work for an *ethical* defense contractor. I doubt that there is a single defense contractor that engages or supports *only* just wars or other military operations and through apropiate means.
>>
>>7659187
Nuclear physicists probably tend to know the difference between 'to' and 'too'.
>>
The military industrial complex can lick my ass.
>>
>>7659202
They also probably spell check and probably tend not to post on a Mongolian anime image board, I do neither and yet I'm a nuclear physicist
>>
The weapons industry is being downsized rapidly. I would rather not.
>>
>>7657716
bioengineering catgirls > mecha shit
>>
>>7659216
Not all of it, I believe comms and intel fall into defence both of which are expanding. They are both boring as shit imo
>>
>>7657554
>I have become Death
>have

Nice way to fuck up the quote m8
>>
I worked for Computer Sciences Corp. on a defense contract many years ago. Most miserable time of my career. The pay was fine. The work itself was mind-numbing.
>>
>>7657573
>Very doubtful. And if true, you're perfectly capable of stopping that too.

If the flutter of a butterfly's wings in Brazil can set off a tornado in Texas, I'm sure one of your actions has indirectly contributed to the death or suffering of someone somewhere out there. There's even quite the probability (as in not close to zero at all) that you've inhaled at least a single molecule of air that has passed through Hitler's lungs. Given the infinitude of actions we generate per unit time I'm virtually certain that every single person in the world has done something to harm something somewhere even by the smallest amount. There are no innocents - everyone is just varying degrees of guilty. You can't stop it, unless you stop existing. Even all the food, air, and land you consume contribute to the starvation of some African kid.

Considering that there's no point really trying to occupy the moral high ground. Unless you were somehow able to quantify the guilt of each person that exists and how it varies with time - leading to the creation of guilt thermodynamics and the guiltzmann distribution or something.

>There is less violence now then ever before because not everyone thinks that way

Precisely because everyone's been indoctrinated by Disney movies and conditioned to think that the world is filled with sunshine and happiness. Yet that is not true and will never be true. Shit is always going to happen - you can minimize it but it will never go away. Trying to suppress it can even make it worse - think Fight Club, terrorism, Diamond Dogs. It's like trying to adiabatically compress a piston of gas to 0 volume - you'd sooner go nuclear.
>>
>>7657502

>Better rape these children coz someone else will if I don't!
>>
>>7660437
To be fair, there is a difference.

You can rape someone more than once, but you can't kill someone more than once.

If you rape someone, someone else might still rape that person anyway.

If you kill someone, then you guarantee that nobody else will.
>>
>>7658232
I live in New Mexico and work at Los Alamos doing my physics PhD.
It's awesome.
>>
>>7658771

ever heard of carpet bombings?
>>
Just here to say the following:

War stopped being an effective means of population control centuries ago.

There is no moral justification for war.

The purpose warfare now serves is, fundamentally, to perpetuate itself.

The blood of innocents is on your hands and you'll answer for it.
>>
>>7660461
That lab inspired Half-Life. You guys do some freaky fucking research. No one outside of the lab does more advanced stuff. There is a reason why a lot of universities and top-tier companies like to recruit from there. Its an awesome place to work as an engineer with just a BS. The next gen missile and nuke tech is researched there. Also white sands. Livermore in California is doing a lot of fusion research. Too many people don't know about hte labs. These places inspired so much sci-fi novels and games.
>>
>>7660506
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/11/3241
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/03/02/study_climate_change_helped_spark_syrian_civil_war.html
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/08/05/climate_change_and_national_security_pentagon_warning_and_vast_new_russia.html

We're at that point in history now.
>>
>>7660506
Who's going to make who answer for what? Give me a world with eternal peace vs world with both, I'll take the latter.
>>
>>7660506
As long there is scarcity there will always be war.
>>
>>7660506
You are a fucking retard. People have been saying this since before the ancient Greeks. If anything it's only going to get worse
>>
>>7660506
>There is no moral justification for war.
Same could be said for anything at all really.
>>
>>7657521
exactly why I work for defence. Its generally more fun work because more money is getting thrown around.
>>
>>7657731
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
>>
>>7660684
>Can you give it to them?
Technically speaking, yes.
>>
>>7660694
>Technically speaking, yes.

what
>>
>>7657498
of course. it's a job.
>>
File: 1446587476037.png (20 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
1446587476037.png
20 KB, 800x750
>he sits in a room playing with CAD and prototyping all day
>and he designs weapons for some entity
>therefore he has killed trillions of sand people
>what a fucking asshole why is he so unethical and immoral
>>
>>7659222
>fucking cats
yiff in hell furfag
>>
>>7660684
Gandalf, that doesn't actually make any fucking sense.

Not being able to fix every problem doesn't mean you should avoid fixing the ones that you can.
>>
>>7660506
Frenchanon here.
Fuck you.
In face I'm applying with the DGA right now. I hope I get to make an extended range cruise missile.
>>
>>7660814
>catgirls
>furfag
choose one and only one fem.
>>
>>7660856
I choose both, you delusional furfaggot.
>>
File: 1447213731575.jpg (539 KB, 1200x1149) Image search: [Google]
1447213731575.jpg
539 KB, 1200x1149
>itt moralfags getting btfo
>muh morality
>muh killings
>muh sandniggers
>muh feelings
>>
>>7660839
It's like the French have forgotten all about 9/11

baka desu senpai
>>
>>7660506
Bullshit !
What about all the good things war has done for us?
Jobs, technology, a common purpose!
>>
>>7657851
>shitty humans that don't deserve to live still exist.

edgelord detected
>>
>>7657498
Absolutely.
>>
>>7657498
>would you work for a defense contractor
sure

>why
because the money is fantastic and it gets you great connections and like>>7657521 said it looks neat on your resume
>>
>>7657498
No
Because I'm a NEET now
>>
>>7657805
>Though, there's also the infamous problem of civilian casualties.
Which modern weaponry is tremendously good at avoiding.
>>7658771
Yes, and they're EXTREMELY discriminate when combined with an appropriate RoE.
>>
>>7657498
>why not

exactly
the pay is big and you suck from the tit of government funding which basically means you get infinite $$$ to fuck around with
>>
I work in government defense. I tossed my morals away in college during internships with them.

desu the pay is great, and i have a lot of fun. but it sucks that i literally lie about everything i ever do to everyone. but again, no morals.
>>
is working for a defense contractor limited to nuclear/chem grads or is it just as accessible to physics grads as well (assuming masters or PhDs in both)
>>
>>7657498
Hell yeah motherfucker.
>why
I don't give a shit about ethics of war, just pay me and you morons can go back to killing each other.
>>
>>7657498
>STEM majors, would you work for a defense contractor?
Yes

>Why?
Why not?
The question is not "who will let me", but rather "who will stop me".
>>
>>7661830
>b-but muh conscience
>muh ethics
>muh philosophy degree
>muh feelings
>>
Probably not. I'd rather work for a university. Going to a PhD program this January (so glad they have Winter admissions). It'll give me time to think about it.
>>
>I do it because If I don't someone else will!
Enjoy your Nuremberg trial.
>>
>>7661891

fucking lol
>>
If it was the only thing I could find yes.

Would it be my first choice? Not really
>>
>>7657498

Yes because they make the coolest shit by far
>>
>>7661891
>turn in research
>get away scot free

Enjoy your justice.
>>
>>7657498
Yes, because they pay well, and I desperately need a job
>>
>>7657716
Source on that image?
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.