[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
currently reading this, does anyone know if there's any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 434x661) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 434x661
currently reading this, does anyone know if there's any literature or classified research that studies the real time neurochemical effects of torture/extreme trauma? it's interesting to read about the post effects but I'd love to read about that happens in your mind chemically RIGHT when something awful is happening. I know this kind of research is ethically questionable and in general challenging to accomplish but I have to imagine someone, somewhere has hooked a person up to an MRI machine and made them extremely uncomfortable.
>>
>>7656449
Careful you don't cut yourself on all those edges OP
>>
Bumo, I find this interesting also
>>
>>7656474
it's conceptually fascinating. I'd also love to see an MRI reading of like an extremely high LSD trip. I think that's ethically sound under volunteer assumption and it would produce very similar reactions (being trapped in a machine on a lot of psychedelics would make you freak the FUCK out)
>>
Interested

What about the book lead you to feel this way?
>>
>>7656510
OMG I totes agree! it would be like cool if we could scan peoples brains when theyre high on weed haha just gotta find a way to do it legally lmao 420 blaze fuck the police! i cant wait till i get my degree in psychology from my community college ill be handing out free drugs and ill even perform euthanasia on people in scanners to try to prove conciousness is in the brain! btw im a grill :3
>>
>>7656517
Fuck off

Your post is a load of garbage.
>>
>>7656510
There's a BBC documentary where a journalist is injected with the active chemicals in "magic" mushrooms. Then goes into an MRI. Just trying to recall the name, I'll see if I can find it.
>>
>>7656522
But i totes wanna talk about the super cool book on torture :( y u gotta be #rude? lets talk about how cool and interesting it is! maybre after we can talk about faster than light travel anfd quantum conciousness ;) teehee
>>
>>7656517
> to try to prove conciousness is in the brain!
This is the only part of your satire that doesn't really fit. It should be reversed.
>>
>>7656527
>>7656510

The three part series is called 'The Brain a Secret History'.
Entry level content, still good viewing.
Here is a short of the journo on mushies
http://youtu.be/gWM09s5_Z-A
>>
>>7656530
I suppose so. I just needed some popscience meme to shit on OP

Especially since there are many simple ways to google medical conditions which emulate aspects of torture.

Since it's not difficult to google those things, unless one is a pleb, I must conclude OP is a pleb.

Thus i shit on him
>>
>>7656557
More or less.

OP, google trigeminal neuralgia, type 2. A number of studies have been done on how it affects the brain both in a chronic sense, and an acute one.
>>
>>7656564
>trigeminal neuralgia, type 2
Yup

Plus anxiety disorders and real time scans
Plus brain scans of torture PTSD patients and treatment with SSRIs

pretty close without inflicting torture

nice to find another anon reasonably well versed in neuro
>>
>>7656573
The only thing it doesn't really indicate is how the psyche itself responds to a defined threat (with the ambiguity that brings), anticipation, and a lack of control. Actual torture has the fear and powerlessness aspects and the mind probably responds in a very different way.

Anxiety is indeed hell and can feel like you have no control over life, but it's a hell that comes from inside yourself. There are probably some major differences between that and the effect of someone doing something to you with the intent to harm.

But yeah, as far as medical research it's probably as close as OP will get without breaking into the CIA's secret installations and taking their documents. Or unburning all that mkultra stuff.
>>
Brain activation in PTSD in response to trauma-related stimuli

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322398002467
>>
>>7656596
>35.95
Thanks Elsevier.
>>
>>7656536
thank you! I've done shrooms and a few research chems so this'll be extra interesting.

>>7656564
>>7656573
>>7656577
>>7656596
thank you for the sincere responses. I come here when I want a specific answer to a general topic and reddit doesn't seem like it'd be helpful.
>>
>>7656600
> Not being part of an institution with access
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>7656617
NP. After shit posting in your thread, I may as well add something useful
>>
>>7656449
where can i download that book?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.