[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would happen if you tried disposing of Radiactive Wast by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: volcanoing[1].jpg (35 KB, 1200x784) Image search: [Google]
volcanoing[1].jpg
35 KB, 1200x784
What would happen if you tried disposing of Radiactive Wast by throwing it into a volcano? Why don't we just throw all our trash in volcanoes
>>
Here is the average amount of trash piling per month in one mid-sized district. multiply this with about 300-500 for the monthly trash of just one city. Now add transportation costs to carry all these to the nearest volcano.

Also, volcanos do not disintegrate trash into the atoms and erase them out of existence. They produce leave a liquid black unburnable residude and toxic fumes by burning plastic and all other synthetic material, which spreads into the air we breathe. Doing this every month is highly pointless and expensive.
>>
>>7653256

Because you want the radioactive waste to be in a location with stable geology, not one that is liable to spew radioactive gases into the atmosphere at the drop of a dime.
>>
>>7653276
forgot pic
>>
Because lava doesn't just sit somewhere in a volcano, it has caverns and openings all throughout the earth that we can't trace that the magma flows through, and we're not entirely sure where they go. Materials possibly flowing through those could seep into the surrounding earth and get into possible water shelves and natural aquifers. We could be irradiating drinkable water that way without even knowing it. Not even bringing the >>7653276 >>7653278 problems into question
>>
Good question, good answers, quick thread. 5/5 would open in new tab again
>>
dump it into the ocean instead

dilute it so much it might as well not even be there
>>
>>7653828
Are you stupid or small minded
>>
because thankfully not everyone is as stupid as you. have you ever burned plastic before? its poisonous. why the fuck would be put trash and radioactive waste into a big smelter
>>
Strap all the worlds waste to a rocket and send it straight towards the sun
This is the most effective method
Prove me wrong
:^)
>>
File: pathofcontainerl.jpg (127 KB, 544x419) Image search: [Google]
pathofcontainerl.jpg
127 KB, 544x419
So, volcanoes are out of the question. Too close to the surface.

What about a subduction trench?
>>
Radioactive metals are the heaviest - they sink to the centre of the earth - volcanoes have 'currents' continually taking lighter elements to the surface and heavier downwards - good idea OP.
>>
>>7654023
The amount of trash produced is too big to get transported to space at an economical price. You would never be able to keep up with the trash produced around the world with the rocket tech we have today.
>>
Why don't we just create a large storehouse of dehydrated trash and eventually toss it into the sun?

I said dehydrated because the scariest thing to me is sending water into space. It can never be recovered, and we have a finite amount of water on this planet.
>>
>>7654559
Excepting whatever effects heavily, cumulatively irradiating the core would have.
>>
>>7654646
maybe we should keep this in mind when we throw shit away
>>
>>7653828
People really are awful.
>>
>>7654649
just cause yo ass thirsty as fuck dont mean every nigga on earth is, damn
>>
>>7654649
Why don't we stop indulging in a broken fucked up culture and economic that makes so much waste to begin with. The majority of this bullshit is just packaging.
>>
>>7654667
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RePack
>>
Would it be possible to get our trash into space? Shoot it into the sun? In the future?
>>
>>7654683

Would probably be too expensive. I'm not for certain but I feel as if that's the reason
>>
>>7654685
Yeah but if you disregard money is it possible?
>inb4 money is everything idiot
>>
>>7654683
Waste of material. I shudder at the thought of us actually organizing together and carrying out such a poorly thought out and nonsensical act, much less doing it multiple times.
>>
>>7654683
It's a lot of energy to put something into space. Even an extra kilogram on a launch is a pretty big deal.

We have tons of room for trash on Earth. The problem tends to be greatly exaggerated. Also, we're getting pretty good at recycling.
>>
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-01/cannon-shooting-supplies-space
>>7654023
>>7654683
we can already shoot stuff into space but still extremely expensive
>>
>>7653282
Can't we make burgers out of trash and give them out to americans?
>>
>>7653828
Actually this is advocated by one of the nuclear research professors I work for. People call him a nut but this is actually quite doable with proper waste fuel processing.
>>
>>7654765
It's cheaper to just dump it in a hole
>>
>>7654649
Because the cost for sending stuff intro space is too large.
>>
>>7654683

how many spacecraft manned or unmanned have we sent into space already?

and not a single one filled with trash

get your shit together NASA
then put it on a fucking spaceship please
>>
>>7653256
because it's a volcano! A volcano spews lava out of the ground! So if we threw waste in, it'd come back out.
>>7654031
that would work.
>>
>>7654755
We've actually been doing this for quite some time
>>
>>7654657
You do know that the centre of the earth is simply a hot nuclear reactor? Gold is a very common element in our solar system, but it is heavy, so when the earth was a molten ball, itcsank to the centre of the earth, same with all the heavy radioactive elements.....
Incidently, the gold in 'gold mines' was placed there by asteroid impacts mainly. It is only diamonds (compressed wood) and other gems that are close to the surface of the planet naturally.
>>
>>7654755
McDonalds
>>
File: space junk.gif (601 KB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
space junk.gif
601 KB, 500x209
>>7654829

Are you kidding me? Space junk is a huge problem in earth orbit. There's so much garbage out there that it makes every mission dangerous.

The usual way they get rid of space debris is to let it burn up in the atmosphere. Might as well burn it down here if that's the case. It'd be cheaper. It's possible to filter all the pollutants, you can also use burning trash to generate electricity.
>>
>>7654664
>>
>>7654765
any politician who even considers the idea of dumping nuclear waste into the ocean would probably get shot.
>>
Do half-lifes vary proportional to temperature?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.