[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>school gets $40,000,000 in tax dollars >doesn't spend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12
>school gets $40,000,000 in tax dollars
>doesn't spend it on new academic facilities, better teachers, new learning aids, etc
>spends every cent on a fucking stadium for 15 year olds in pads to run into each other for 3 hours for 6 friday nights out of the 52 in a year

why is this allowed?
>>
Because it will turn a larger profit

See ya later
>>
>>7652288
If it turns a profit, why did the city need to pass a new tax to support it?
>>
>>7652283
That's a really neat looking stadium though.

Also nepotism.
>>
>>7652283

And as if we didn't already have enough football teams named the "eagles."
>>
>caring that much about muh education

have some fun
>>
There's no point spending money on Education in America while No Child Left Behind is still around. It would literally and figuratively be throwing money into a black hole.
>>
>>7652328
hehehehe i got that one
>>
Because it is very important to give our kids brain injuries
>>
>>7652290
>it was at this moment that anon discovered that his government officials lobbied for a higher tax revenue to justify paying themselves more and the schools build a new revenue income of their own
>democratic republic
>not as corrupt as any other form of government.

What's the cost to get into the stadium for a game? 10-12 dollars? They will be playing the socket games, the band competitions, and what ever else they can fit in there too.
Fucking genius, desu senpai
>>
>>7652328
Didn't no child Left behind just get repealed in the last month?
>>
It actually cost $60 million and was closed less than a year and a half after opening due to construction and design defects. Took about another year and a half to make repairs so it would be safe to use.
>>
>>7652283
>15 year olds in pads to run into each other

That's the best US can do to compete with the LHC
>>
>>7652283
[math] \bf{ SOCIALIZED~FOOTBALL!!! } [/math]

You also pay for FOOTBALL!! when you pay your college tuition, cable bill, or eat fast food.
>>
lol Texas is the worst
>>
>>7652290
This. It should be on the universities dime. Why should our tax money go towards making other people rich?
>>
>>7652328
>It would literally and figuratively be throwing money into a black hole.
Hahaha this is gold. Thanks for making my day anon.
>>
>>7652428
>Texas
Y-yeah this totally only happens in Texas f.am, I'm s-so glad I live in a state where this doesn't happen.
>>
>>7652432
>It should be on the universities dime.

It's not a university, it's a goddamned high school!
>>
football is negro worship
Absolutely disgusting
And then they start covering up rapes/assaults/robberies by these blacks

what a bold progressive world, we live in.
>>
>>7652443

I don't...
>>
>>7652443
>this totally only happens in Texas

But that's true...
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
34 KB, 480x360
>>7652401
The Texas Superconducting Super Collider would have been a much larger version of the LHC (three times as powerful) but after work started on it, Congress decided it didn't want to spend so much money on science and gave President Clinton a choice of continuing the International Space Station or the Superconducting Super Collider. Knowing that the public loves Star Trek but is bored with physics, he picked to keep ISS and after some last minute lobbying from physicists to save it Congress gave the TSSC the axe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCfJa535S08
>>
Can you also tell me how US and UK universities get big grants from the middle eastern block... All at the time of trade deals.
>>
>>7652452
Very constructive opinion, stormfaggot.

Now, go back to suck the 'aryan' dicks on /pol/
>>
>>7652482
>gave the TSSC the axe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxPGzj2L3n0
>>
>>7652404
kek. I am so using that.
>>
>>7652482
classic woulda coulda shoulda
>>
>>7652283
>School is all work and no play
This is why you will die a virgin. Also these things do turn a profit you know, unlike books and labs
>>
>>7652524
He's right though.

Have you noticed how shows like Ballers are mostly about degenerate black men fucking poor white girls?
>>
>>7652678
Honestly, no.
>>
>>7652591
>football is more beneficial to society than education
haven't seen this before
>>
>>7652283
Our primal nature.
>>
>>7652591
>Also these things do turn a profit
So use your own capital investment and not my tax money.
>>
My high school was never big on building anything but they used their building budget to be able to enroll students at Dartmouth for a semester at a time. If you took the high school's highest level algebra for example, you would be able to take the next level up algebra class at Dartmouth for free. You could only do two classes at Dartmouth per term but it basically allowed me to take 6 classes there by the time that I had graduated. I believe about 46% of my graduating class had taken Dartmouth courses at some point during their time at Hanover High.

The football team was the least well funded group in the school (though they still got considerable donations from Alums). Crew, Hockey, Soccer, and Lacrosse were always our most well funded sports.

In short: If you have a child and you want to raise them well. Raise them in Hanover New Hampshire or Norwich Vermont.
>>
Most schools with major sports programs in football/basketball are self-funding.

They don't pay for those stadiums with federal money, they pay for it by selling season/lifetime tickets to the nicer seats and luxury boxes.
>>
Could you imagine how fucking dope it would be to be in high school being worshiped in that stadium?

Damn.

To OP, have fun. All of you think you're profound geniuses but sadly your all deluded retards who will contribute almost nothing to society. So for real, just have fun.
>>
I'm pretty sure physical exercise has science somewhere.
This is now a sports thread.
>>
File: 2.jpg (70 KB, 592x754) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
70 KB, 592x754
>>7652283
>Cracking and Temporary Closure[edit]
On February 27, 2014 the stadium was closed due to cracking in concrete to ensure the safety of visitors. All future events were canceled until further notice.[3] In a letter to the design and construction companies for the stadium, lawyers for the school district cited “construction failures” that exacerbated “already deficient design.”[4]

The stadium was scheduled to be completed by May 20, 2015. The Truesdell Corporation, a structural restoration company out of Tempe, Arizona, was called out to rehabilitate the stadium.

The stadium was officially reopened on June 5, 2015 for graduation. [5]
>>
>>7652938
>tfw i played high-school football
>tfw now 4th year EE student
idk why everyone has a such a staunch belief in the brains-brawn dichotomy

it's possible to lift and play sports and not be a retard, you know.
>>
>>7653242
>idk why everyone has a such a staunch belief in the brains-brawn dichotomy

thats going away m8. Swole Nerds are a meme now. i go to a pure engineering school and just about everyone lifts or plays sports or something.
>>
>>7653253
Lifting is objectively good for your brain and only improves the learning process
>>
>>7653261
yeah i know. its why i do it. the extra attention from women is a nice perk.
>>
>>7652444
>murica
>>
>>7652288
This. Might just be correlation, but the wealthiest public university in America also happens to have the biggest football stadium in the world.
For high school though, that's just idiotic.
>>
>>7652850
>The Northeast has the best education
>1 Simple step to raising a child well: live in the most homogenous and wealthy region of the nation
>>
>>7652283
because you dumbfuck

>Allen hasn't lost a game in well over 50 games played now
>Allen is the Pride of Texas
>Some of those 15yo look like 20yo and could kick your ass
>Allen HS could take on some college teams and win convincingly
>Allen is home to the greatest football program in the nation

Money well spent desu. I know I'm jelly I didn't get to go to Allen HS, wouldn't mind teaching there. Plano West is the best HS in Dallas-Ft. Worth area anyway as far as academics go.
>>
>>7654105
>West better than East
lol, west plano a shit
>>
>>7654105
>Allen HS is great cuz it's the world's best concussion factory

As if I'm supposed to be impressed by that. Football is great for awhile if you're lucky enough to go pro, until you commit suicide in your thirties.
>>
Because people will turn up to watch these events. Bigger and bigger statiums will be built as long as we keep watching sports and talking about sports
>>
High school football stadiums are almost never funded by tax dollars but by bonds backed by the revenue stream from the stadium. I googled the stadium in the OP and this is exactly what happened. It didn't cost the taxpayers anything, the bondholders get paid by the profit of the stadium. And yes, usually it's very profitable or nobody would buy the bonds anyways. It is stupid to say that building a football stadium takes away from education spending, since they have completely different funding sources.
>>
>>7654056
Yup
and it's one of the most liberal areas
Funny how that works
>>
>>7652463
Nah, pretty much all southern states. The ones other than Texas might have a bit less to throw at it, but that's the only difference.
>>
BECAUSE PLAYING HAND EGG SHORT TERM FOR 3 YEARS IN HIGH SCHOOL IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GETTING A DEGREE IN SOMETHING VERY REPUTABLE OK
>>
>>7654179
No, it is idiosyncratic to Texas. In the rest of the south, it would be very unusual for an adult unrelated to one of the players to attend a football game.
>>
>>7652591
>educated society
>no return on investment

/pol/ is leaking again.
>>
>>7652905
What is major? Even some SEC schools lose money on sports. Almost all smaller schools do. Do ten seconds of research. You're on /sci/ for crying out loud. Research should come first, not urban myths propagated by marketing firms. Also be sure to check the quality of your resources during your research. Jake's Fantastic Fantasy Football Blog isn't a very good source.
>>
>>7654010
>Might just be correlation
>correlation

Association
>>
>>7654308
No SEC university is losing money on football or basketball, you can't be serious. I'm sure some athletic departments are losing money in net because of title IX requirements and paying scholarships for women's bowling teams.
>>
File: football fees.png (98 KB, 1349x644) Image search: [Google]
football fees.png
98 KB, 1349x644
If sports pay for themselves, why do so many schools charge "athletics fees"? Why must someone who wants to take a biology class pay a fee to the football team? These fees are not optional like they would be with buying a ticket to watch a game. If you are unwilling to pay money to the football team, you are denied an education. Why is this considered desirable?
>>
>>7654314
Do we live in a world without Title IX? No? Well then, your argument makes as much sense as "Going to the moon is expensive only because we have so much gravity". Title IX is an expense that has to be paid. It's part of the cost of doing business. When universities make players into paid employees, Title IX goes away. As long as they play the "student athlete" game, Title IX requiring equality is part of the cost.

Oh, and Auburn's football team has been running a deficit for the past few years without any help from Title IX. Is Auburn not a major program? Need some help moving those goal posts?
>>
>>7654322

Universities do it because having good sports programs raises the prestige and brand of the university among laypeople, and also because there's some implicit idea that athletics is a worthy goal in itself.
>>
>>7654326
>http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/auburn_athletics_department_re_3.html
>All in all, Auburn football produced a surplus of $33.2 million, a figure that is $5.4 million less than the program's surplus of $38.6 million in 2013.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Or at least take two seconds to use Google before you do.
>>
>>7652482
>hardon collider
Is this a meme now?
>>
>>7654322
Because they are liars, and the only real reason for this muh sports thing is to glorify the blacks in the school.

>>7654296
a liberal arts degree doesn't have a return on investment m8
>>
>>7652482
"It has become the victim of
the revenge of the C-students."
– Roy Schwitters, director of the
Superconducting Super Collider
>>
>>7654329
MIT sure looked good in the national football championship game last year. Good thing too because their brand would have been in the dumpster without football to give them prestige.

>athletics is a worthy goal in itself.
That's what sports leagues are for. When the NFL lands on Mars or discovers a new state of matter, then we can talk about the value of academic institutions being sports leagues.
>>
>>7654331
Why didn't you address his point about Title IX? Is it optional or not? If so, why do colleges pay for it?
>>
>>7654192
>In the rest of the south, it would be very unusual for an adult unrelated to one of the players to attend a football game.
I lived in Georgia for about two decades, anon.

No, it's not limited to Texas.
>>
>Hey guise lets build a stadium for violent handegg which will give the players CBE in the future.
>Brillant, let's dumb down the wiggers, niggers, spics, and twinkles of America
I need to find the study but most football programs are suppose to be bailed out by the Universities if they run a deficit. They usually run deficits quite often. The ROI of football programs is still less that what the scientific and engineering breakthroughs the universities themselves fund. Just like NASA has the highest ROI of any government agency in the US. OP, you're just questioning stupidity. The US is known to be a blackhole of intelligence and they have to import brain power to make it seems they're smart.
>>
>>7652288
>school
>profit
pick one
>>
File: original.jpg (1 MB, 2021x1137) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
1 MB, 2021x1137
>Median revenues generated by athletic departments increased by 3.2 percent from 2012 to 2013, while expenses went up 10.6 percent;
>Of the 20 schools that made money, the median profit was $8.4 million;
>Of the 103 schools that lost money, the median deficit was $14.9 million;
>The highest total revenues generated by an athletic department was $169.7 million;
>The highest total expenses by an athletic department was $146.8 million.

>According to the report, all athletic departments outside of the FBS operate in the red. In other words, only 20 of the 1,083 college sports programs in the nation are profitable.

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2014/dec/22/jim-moran/moran-says-only-20-colleges-make-profit-sports/

If you're one of the 20 schools that makes a profit, nice. But for the other 1,063 schools, its time to focus on education and research rather than serving as a free development league for pro sports.
>>
>>7652323
With whose tax dollars? School athletics can be enriching, but if your school cares more about their football program than their academic one, then they have no business being a school.
>>
>>7652323
There are many ways of having fun that don't involve diverting education resources into sports stadiums.
>>
>>7654329
>having good sports programs raises the prestige
... which is why CalTech is so proud of their Beavers?
>>
File: BSSJfNaCIAElKvU.jpg (94 KB, 1024x631) Image search: [Google]
BSSJfNaCIAElKvU.jpg
94 KB, 1024x631
>>7654635
Cal Tech? Why would anyone attend it when there's the much more fun Mississippi State University just waiting for you. Don't bother packing your cow bell, one will be provided for you.
>>
File: sports.png (16 KB, 258x344) Image search: [Google]
sports.png
16 KB, 258x344
Useless comment with slightly relevant comedic picture incoming.
>>
File: 4a3518c62b8570bf3a398214f78dcc26.jpg (575 KB, 1200x1125) Image search: [Google]
4a3518c62b8570bf3a398214f78dcc26.jpg
575 KB, 1200x1125
>>7654786
xkcd is obnoxious.
>>
>>7654789
Not as obnoxious as stating that something is obnoxious.
>>
>>7654789
I think randall is a real life sheldon cooper
>>
>>7654176
Whitest areas are always the most liberal. They haven't been exposed to other races that isn't below the top 0.01% enough yet.
>>
>>7653242
If you had brains and brawn you'd be joining the NFL next year.
>>
>>7654105
Never heard of them, but who cares when they're just going to play college football for 4 years, play in the NFL for a couple more years, live comfortably for 5 more years, and then have 78% of them declare bankruptcy once that time is up. (Yes, statistically that many declare bankruptcy within 5 years; I guarantee that the percentage goes up if you make it 10 years.)

This is just rich Jewish men taking advantage of dumb kids and leading them on a path to make the rich men richer while giving the kids ~10 years of fame (including high school) and then leaving them in the dirt with no skills and no friends once the money dries up. It's a shame because a lot of those kids probably have/had as much dedication towards football as Bill Gates had towards computers, but they're not equal in the end.
>>
>>7653242
Your belief that n=1 disproves the many studies that conflict with your beliefs shows you will be a terrible engineer and likely actually do have brain damage... or warmed the bench.
>>
Why do people get so worked up over sports? Kids at my university who think they're better than everyone else are always complaining about "sportsball."
>>
>>7654322
>pic
GSU doesn't even have a football stadium.
>>
File: 1422672897319.gif (2 MB, 390x158) Image search: [Google]
1422672897319.gif
2 MB, 390x158
>>7652591
>books and labs don't turn a profit
>>
>>7655453
>have brains
>join the NFL
>smash my head into people for a few years
>don't have brains anymore

pass.
>>
>>7654322
thats for the school gym that you obviously never use. it also funds the non competitive sports clubs.
>>
>>7654192
I live in New Mexico and there's a big "rivalry" game between two local high schools pretty much everyone in the city attends. They're graduates of one of the schools but rarely have any familial association to the kids on the field.

The university in the same city has a shit football team and yet get upgrades to something every year. Funny thing, the only time the stadium built for that team gets filled is during the rivalry high school game.
>>
>>7654616
its time to stop using 'schools' to raise money for free development academies for mining firms and industrial operations.
>>
>>7655836
And they still have to charge students several thousand in football fees. Imagine if they get their wish and are able to buy Turner Field and turn it into a football stadium. The students will have to pay off the bonds through even higher fees.
>>
>>7656164
No, it is not. Look at the other columns. There are separate fees for "Activity", "Rec", and "Stud. Ctr.". "Athletic" is for propping up the sports teams, not for the student climbing wall or hot tub. Let me guess, you think "Library" is for student textbooks. and "Transp." is for limo service for students.

I get that some students are jock sniffers who go to college for "the experience" instead of to learn anything. Sorry you've fallen into that trap but you belong on /sp/ if you want sympathy for your jock sniffing addiction. This is /sci/. You're going to have to use facts here rather than twisted jock sniffing rationalizations.
>>
File: best sports ball nation.jpg (68 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
best sports ball nation.jpg
68 KB, 550x366
>>7656236
Brilliant! We can become Brazil!

>Think about what happen in Brazil. Decades ago it decided to become the best in the world. Scouts scoured each and every village to find the most talented kids. It did not matter if they were rich or poor, black, brown, or white, lived in a village or a big city, had powerful parents or were orphans. If they were good, they were supported, mentored, tracked and trained. And eventually, the country won. Time and again ... Until there was no doubt they were the best. Brazil beat the world five times. The tragedy is that Brazil chose to do this in soccer....Meanwhile, South Korea chose to do exactly the same thing ... in math and science. Very different outcomes.
>>
File: FOOTBALL-articleLarge.jpg (22 KB, 600x210) Image search: [Google]
FOOTBALL-articleLarge.jpg
22 KB, 600x210
>>7652404
What are you doing on /sci/, Cardale Jones?
>>
File: Teachers_Lougne.png (105 KB, 339x355) Image search: [Google]
Teachers_Lougne.png
105 KB, 339x355
not sure if this is welcome here

but at my elementary school we had a fundraiser to bring in more teaching supplies (ie. replacing overheads with actual projectors, adding fancy sound systems for students with hearing disabilities, more teaching supplies such as dry erase markers and chalk)

we ended up raising a shit load of money

but the married female principal was caught having an affair with one of the other married teachers (note they are not married to eachother) and the company that my school normally sourced their teaching supplies from backed out of the deal (we live in a very conservatively christian country). so now where did the fundraising money go? to renovate the teacher's lounge/kitchen.
>>
Fucking fuck football. Trying to get by in life in America without caring a little bit about this fucking sport is enough to make anyone eat a bullet.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.