[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
solutions manual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1629.png (9 KB, 835x653) Image search: [Google]
1629.png
9 KB, 835x653
Anybody got the solutions manual to Oliver Davis Johns's Analytical Mechanics for Relativity and Quantum Mechanics? The book says the solution manual is free on request, but only for instructors... and I'm not an instructor. Tried requesting (twice) waited a month (twice) and didn't get a reply,

http://global.oup.com/uk/academic/physics/admin/solutions
>>
Well maybe if you aren't an instructor you shouldn't have a solutions manual
>>
>>7652346
Still, it would be incredibly helpful whenever I get stuck.
>>
>>7652349
well maybe if you got stuck, you'd actually learn the material.
>>
>>7652357
>well maybe if you got stuck, you'd actually learn the material

what a fucking retarded comment
he, by his own admission >>7652349, is already getting stuck
>>
>>7652357
>>7652364
Let me put it this way: the exercsise in the OP post is an incredibly easy pendulum exercise, or so it seems. The exercise asks to express [math]\ddot φ[/math] and [math]\dot φ^2[/math] as functions of φ, using the law of angular momentum (in polar corrdinates of course since it's easier). This is the fifth exercise on the first chapter and I'm already stumped, even though I've solved lots of rigid-body exercises and physical pendulum exercises before. I'm trying to get "into the exercise's head" and figure out the thought process for expressing [math]\ddot φ[/math] and [math]\dot φ^2[/math] as functions of φ, but I can't think of anything. I dropped the book for a couple of months waiting for the solutions manual (which, admittedly, they're not obligated to send me) but since this book is highly recommended, I'd like to pick it up again. I've looked through other physical pendulum exercises in other books but they all use the classical Newtonian force diagram approach and not the angular momentum approach.
>>
>>7652375
1.) Write down the expresions for the kinetic energy and the potential energy.
2.) Plug it in the E-L equation to get the equations of motion.
3.) Solve them.
>>
[math]T = \frac{m_1}{2} b^2 \dot \phi^2 + \frac{m_2}{2} (2b)^2 \dot \phi^2 = \frac{1}{2} \left( m_1 + 4 m_2\right) b^2 \dot \phi^2[/math]
[math]V = m_1 g b \cos(\phi) + m_2 g (2b) \cos(\phi) = \left(m_1 + 2 m_2 \right) g b \cos(\phi)[/math]
[math]L = T - V = \frac{1}{2} \left( m_1 + 4 m_2\right) b^2 \dot \phi^2 - \left(m_1 + 2 m_2 \right) g b \cos(\phi)[/math]

[math]\left( m_1 + 4 m_2\right) b^2 \ddot \phi + \left(m_1 + 2 m_2 \right) g b \sin(\phi) = 0[/math]
[math]\ddot \phi + \left( \frac{m_1 + 2 m_2 }{ m_1 + 4 m_2}\right) \frac{g}{b} \sin(\phi) = 0[/math]
>>
>>7652409
[math]m_1[/math] should be [math]m_2[/math] and [math]m_2[/math] should be [math]m_3[/math].
>>
>>7652409
>>7652410
Thanks, I did that too, but these are energy considerations and not angular momentum consideration.
>>
Guess I'll drop the book and use the less-recommended Fowles and Cassidy Analytical Mechanics.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.