[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what would happen if Uranus was as close to earth as the moon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: uranus-instead-of-the-moon.jpg (81 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
uranus-instead-of-the-moon.jpg
81 KB, 1000x669
what would happen if Uranus was as close to earth as the moon?
>>
I'd be dead in space
>>
The orbital resonance of Uranus vs Earth is far far far greater than Moon vs Earth.
The weather would be beyond chaotic and all of us would be fucked.
>>
>>7651403
Memes would become real.
>>
>>7651403
I'd guess this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit
>>
I would shit over everyone
>>
>>7651427
How chaotic is the weather on Titan?
>>
>>7651403
It would be called squatting

this is why russians (slavs) are the only ones still operating manned space missions
>>
>>7651403
It would melt
>>
Assuming we're talking about a stable orbit, the Earth wouldn't be destroyed, exactly, but we'd probably all be fucked from earthquakes and enormous tides.
>>
>>7652327
Kek
>>
>>7652327
wouldn't you just die?
>>
>>7652299
No, it would be ten times too far. But ten times the Roche limit would screw us up.

Also, we'd orbit Uranus as our centre of mass would be just inside of Uranus. So the earth would become a moon.

We'd orbit Uranus once every 6.66 days. So we'd experience huge changes in temperature every day, with each orbit representing a more extreme version of our classical 'year'.

I presume the seasons would be far more extreme, with much more violent transitions. Natural disasters which require heat would probably jump up in number; forests fires might climb up during our time nearest the sun.

When away on the far side, I presume Uranus would be big enough temporarily block out all light, if it was in the right plane, so we might get frequent solar eclipes. The earth would also start to radiate heat when further away, so things would start getting chilly.

The tides would definitely be screwed up, though I don't know how much.

I'm trying to give a rough answer as to what would happen to the climate, but I have no understanding of climate science. I am more confident on what I said about the orbits, but that doesn't mean much.
>>
>>7652671

Most of this is not right. It sounds like you're saying changing distance from the sun would cause all that, but that wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

All significant effects world be caused by the gravity of Uranus itself, eg tidal heating.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.