[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movement efficiency
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: legs.jpg (100 KB, 628x363) Image search: [Google]
legs.jpg
100 KB, 628x363
I have read before that human legs and the human gait make humans the most efficient land mammals in terms of moving around.

Is this true?

If not, what do you think is?

Also, what do you think is the least efficient land mammal/animal?
>>
>>7651045
The only animal that can run farther than a human is a horse
>>
>>7651045
this shows you how poor mammals are when you think about how much more efficient a bike is than our fucking legs.
>>
>>7651794
Science can't explain Bikes.
>>
>>7651832
I kukked
>>
File: gnu-head.jpg (19 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
gnu-head.jpg
19 KB, 250x250
>>7651559
no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-84NX3r-4
>>
>>7651045

I guess it could have some truth to it. Humans are virtually unmatched in terms of distance running.
>>
>>7651794
When you think about it, rotating parts seem to be the one thing nature can't get down. We need animals with wheels and birds with propellers.
>>
>>7652265
I think it's because wheels aren't as good as legs to pass obstacles.
If you think about it the petman robot of BostonDynamics is designed to walk along with soldiers on the field and has no wheels.
>>
>>7651897
>what are horses
>what are caribou
>what are wildebeast
>>
>>7651559
Not true. Horses are really useful for carrying things (food) and saving your energy though.
>>
File: drink.jpg (48 KB, 344x345) Image search: [Google]
drink.jpg
48 KB, 344x345
One leg is stupid and not practical at all.
Two is great for running and precise movement.
Three is retarded just like one.
Four is a very stable platform.
More than four is insect tier.
>>
>>7651045
>I have read before that human legs and the human gait make humans the most efficient land mammals
Well, according to recent study by scientists this is in fact not correct.

Also, it does not matter what i think i have no hard evidence to base my analysis on.

Yours truly, anonymous
>>
>>7652386
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/mid_/6737619.stm
>Two men beat horses in marathon
Idk how efficient it is but we're really really good at distance running.
>>
>>7652265
>>7652376
Are fish more efficient than submarines then?
I know some octopi use push propulsion which is very efficient.
>>
>>7652385
>three is retarded just like one
but it's not
4 is redundant.

>>7652376
I agree. Each one is better in a different situation.
>>
>>7652387
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/mid_/6737619.stm
someone is riding the horse lol
>>
IIRC, four legged animals are efficient at walking long distances but when the pace picks up, humans can retain an easy gait while the animal must switch to a more exhausting gallop gait which enables humans to run animals down.
>>
>>7651045
Hoomen can topple if u push
But if one push Bicycle, Bicycle keep going.
Hoomen<Bicycle
>>
>>7651841

it can't. it's not the gyroscopic principle.
>>
>>7652489
>For a bicycle to be stable, the steering mechanism has to be unstable; if the bike falls, the steering should fall even more quickly.

http://www.tudelft.nl/en/current/latest-news/article/detail/waarom-valt-een-rijdende-fiets-niet-om-tu-delft-gooit-oude-theorie-overhoop/

science didn't wait for you.
>>
>>7652419
How horrifying
Literally "It Follows" the animal
>>
>>7652377
>>what are horses
>>what are caribou
>>what are wildebeast
Prey creatures.
Give me 24 hours, I'll run any of them down.
>>
>>7652609
Yes, humans are nightmare hunters.

We're slow, but we never get tired. You can outrun us, but when you stop to rest, we'll be behind you.

You can take off again, but when you slow down from exhaustion, we'll be behind you.

You can sprint off with a burst of adrenaline. But, when you've run as far as you can, so far that your muscles are wearing down and your legs are no longer capable of supporting your own weight, so far that you collapse to the ground and can't take another step, we'll be behind you.
>>
>>7652377

>What is making sure you don't sound like a moron for once in your life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o
>>
>>7652489

Depends on your speed.
>>
>>7652634

>But, when you've run as far as you can, so far that your muscles are wearing down and your legs are no longer capable of supporting your own weight, so far that you collapse to the ground and can't take another step, we'll be behind you.

I used the same line to seduce your mum.
>>
>>7652647
lol
>>
>>7652638
Dr Dre for the kill
>>
>>7652381
Are you retarded. Horses and camels are used by people to cross the desert cus they can do it cus humans cant.
>>
>>7651045
least efficient is the snail,
>>7652385
it technically has one, almost useless leg/foot

snails are dumb
>>
>>7652659

A human can go anywhere a horse can, it just can't carry as much (or sprint as fast). Camels aren't a fair comparison, since they are adapted to that specific environment. Nobody is saying humans are desert creatures (though we're still pretty good in the desert).

But really this argument is moot. If you're debating whether humans are the best or the second best, then you've already admitted they are gid tier.
>>
>>7651045
its not just our legs that make us efficient movers; its our ability to effectively cool ourselves (via sweating).
>>
>>7652659
Camels are used to cross the desert because they don't need to drink water, can hold necessary supplies (food and water) more easily than a person, and generally not doing the walking yourself conserves your own water and energy better. Having food and water, not sweating and not losing energy is really important when making a desert crossing for the obvious reasons.
>>
>>7651794
Bikes are terribly inefficient without a decent road.
>>
>>7651897
>>7651862
>>
>>7652628
>I'll run any of them down
You couldn't run down your little sister, fgt
>>
>>7652634
>we never get tired
What do you mean by "we", Fatty?
>>
>>7652634
>Yes, humans are nightmare hunters.
When there are a high number of us. Individually we're a flimsy joke.

>We're slow, but we never get tired.
Neither of those things are true. That's not what persistence hunting is.

{...}we'll be behind you.
Partly true. At least for the segment of the population that developed higher ratios of type 1 fibers. A good deal of humans didn't however. They relied on scavenging, ambushes, and primitive trapping.
>>
Persistance hunting is such a terrifying concept, think about being an animal, minding your own buisness and this weird ape thing starts chasing you with its dick out, you run until youre tired and try to rest before you overheat but here he comes again, you run away again.... surely youve lost him, nope.... eventually you collapse from absolute exaustion and you cant even hold your head up as he trots over unfazed and spears you.
>>
Tremendous synergy between high precision tuned motoric units, slow twitch muscles, bipedalism and gracile bone structure. Great thermoregulation capacity (the best there is?) and ability to carry supplies in hands. The ultimate efficiency animal.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.