[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag here, how can I get into CAD? Which Software is the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: cad_converter_ad.gif (60 KB, 802x601) Image search: [Google]
cad_converter_ad.gif
60 KB, 802x601
Newfag here,
how can I get into CAD?
Which Software is the best for a newfag?
>>
i prefer AutoCAD desu
>>
Just go for the AutoCad.
>>
>>7650456
I use TotalCAD. Seven quid from Maplin.
>>
>>7650456
ProE/Creo
>>
File: waifu.jpg (61 KB, 320x443) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
61 KB, 320x443
Solidworks>all other autist meme programs
>>
>>7651995
this

>>7650473
>>7650478
hahahaha
>>
type cad into torrent search engin... download all
>>
inventor or solidworks
inventor is easy to learn imo.
>>
>>>/3/
>>
>>7651995
solidworks is most popular only because most mechanical engineers are lazy and can't handle mesh based modeling

also it completely bogs down any computer in large assemblies, so should only be used for small things <100 parts with simple geometry

I'd like to find a mesh based cad software that can produce drawings as easily as solidworks, so far i don't know of any
>>
OnShape has an easy interface to start with and i could do almost as much as solidworks. It gets the job done and it's free
>>
>>7650473
>>7650478
Ignore these two idiots. AutoCAD has really lagged behind for a good decade or so.

I've used both Autodesk Inventor and Seimens NX. Both are powerful and capable, and handle very similarly. I personally would go with Inventor however on the basis it's used more commonly in industry.
>>
File: 1439907349838.png (198 KB, 500x296) Image search: [Google]
1439907349838.png
198 KB, 500x296
You can get into CAD by exchange your currency for it, please do it anon our dollar needs help.
>>
>>7651995
>costs £20,000
>>
>>7652229
>not pirating everything
lol kek
>>
>>7651995
This. This so much.
I've also heard wonderful stuff about AutoDesk Fusion but idk much about it.
>>
>>7652168
>solidworks is most popular only because most mechanical engineers are lazy and can't handle mesh based modeling
You mean polygonal stuff like blender etc. does? Cuz that's the worst shit ever for engineering, feature-based is much much more useful and flaxibul.
>>
http://freecadweb.org/
Freecad is pretty decent, does miss some things like beziers in sketches and surfaces (I think) but for basic parametric modeling it's okay and v. lightweight.
>>
>>7650456
Atm I am working as a design engineer in the area of civil engineering and have been using AutoCAD ever since.
Mechanical engineering is more inclined to use Solidworks.
Go with the software that is commonly used in your line of work.
>>
>>7652168

I´ve used Solidworks and CATIA for work.
In my experiece, CATIA is superior, by far. Maybe I just don´t like the sketch and surface "philosophy" of Solidworks. I think CATIA is more flexible, with more option for complex drawings.
>>
>>7652986
feature-based is unrealistic for complicated designs. Especially when some operation needs to effect the entire model, for example stretch everything along a cone or some more complicated math function. At some point you have to forget the history and just work with the surfaces as is. Solidworks bogs down too much trying to remember the history.

What I really want is a 3d package that assumes the users familiar with linear algebra and allows you to apply transformations to the entire model.

also at work I ran into a lot of problems with solidworks getting parts to tile properly over a spiral. Solidworks was completely out of its depth.
>>
>>7650456
>autistdesks in this thread
Hahahaha! Nice meme software. Try google sketchup, it might fit your level of expertise better.

Solidworks is the only program worth using.
>>
>>7653933
Well that's because Catia is the Cadillac of SolidWorks (both Dassault products). But SolidWorks is like 10x cheaper.

>>7653922
This guy gets it. Pick something and focus on dimensioning and constraining. A part made in ____ might as well be a BS blender part if you're not using the software properly.
>>
Mechanical design - Solid "just" werks, don't fall for the CATIA meme, it's overkill for someone just learning.
Civil- Architecture -Look into Revit
If you just want to CAD, go with AutoCAD you won't achieve nothing of worth though.
>>
solidworks or pro engineer
autocad and revit for civilfags
catia v5 for aerofags
inventor is easy to learn but absolute shit
>>
>>7652986
>flaxibul

yep I'm talking to an engineer
>>
>>7650586
>God Tier
>>
>>7650456
>Which Software is the best for a newfag?
Solid Works

it is literally 2 steps above minecraft in terms of complexity.
>>
Is there any [math]free[/math] and good parametric cad software that isn't shitcad (aka freecad)?

I've used solvespace in the past and really liked it but it is anything but sexy.
Whereas things like openscad are super sexy but virtually useless.
Why is there no good sexy and functional parametric cad?
>>
>>7655491
[math] desu senpai [/math] just fucken pirate Solidworks, you won't get sued or anything unless you are profitting from it ;).
>>
>>7656307
I am that guy and I actually completely agree with you. Its the best [math]t^bh[/math]
>>
>>7650456
I only ever used solid edge briefly. It was pretty easy to pick up, albeit I find CAD excruciatingly boring so I never stuck with it and went into ChemE instead of ME. (aspen software so much more laid back to use... thank jeebus for that).

Modelica is a cool software, open source and everything. Handy if you're good at python and C.
>>
Solidedge is free for students if you aren't in internet crime
>>
>>7650456
For a while talk of 3D printers was common, the media would say things like "You can design your own products and create them at home!" but I never heard about what sort of software would be used to create or upload such designs.

Anyone have specific experience with this that they would like to share?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.