[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/borgs, how do you take notes? Specifically, do you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (1 MB, 684x3960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 684x3960
Hey /sci/borgs, how do you take notes? Specifically, do you have a short hand for written notes? And how did you develop your short hand to be the most efficient?
>>
No, I just write slightly less legible. Then again I don't have any maths classes atm, those really used to fuck up my hand.
>>
>>7649013
>Hey /sci/borgs, how do you take notes?
day to day notes are scribbled down into what i call my "barf book". at the end of the week, i consolidate and rewrite into a different book, which is my master studying resource that i take with me everywhere.
>>
I tend to write notes in the margins of my books, provided what i'm taking notes for follows said book reasonably tight. I then compile those notes before an exam.
>>
>>7649027
What if the proofs are too long?
>>
>>7649028
I study biotech, we don't have a lot of courses that warrant long proofs. What math we have had I sucked pretty bad at, though.
>>
>>7649013
I never actually take notes.
Some times I do write down key words the professor says, but I never read them.
I pile them up and eventually throw them away en mass.

I don't get why people take notes.
It's like taking a photo of your computer monitor.

Go directly to the source. Read the damn book.
>>
>>7649107
Often times, professors will explain things with more intuition than the book.
You can definitely study only from the text, but it's by far less efficient and practical.

>>7649013
No short hand. But I've gotten to a point in math where I just have to "copy it down, and gain intuition later," as opposed to undergrad.
During my undergrad, I could actually pause in the middle of class, reflect, and understand why a lot of things were true.
Lately, it seems I'm taking a lot of things on faith.
>>
Unless the professor is "old school," a lot of my classes are taught via PowerPoint. The PowerPoint is available online, but I always take notes during class. Before an exam, I retake notes on the PowerPoint while I'm reviewing by myself. I find that the more often I write things down the better I'm at remembering them. Basically I just redo everything multiple times until it is fully incorporated into my brain
>>
>>7649107
>i dont get why people take notes

maybe you never took a serious class? or who knows, maybe it just isn't your cup of tea.
>>
>>7649025
This 100%
>>
>>7649107
>en mass
Lrn2english fgt pls
>>
>>7649025

tell me more

I'm struggling with making the right notes

It seems as though I'm only writing down the things I'll remember anyway :(
>>
>>7650272
>Lrn2english
Umm...

"en masse" is correct
"on mass" is American-education.jpg
>>
>>7650482
That shouldn't be surprising, as the act of writing things down does make you more likely to remember them
>>
>>7649013
I literally use the lectures as a framework for more comprehensive notes.
I then fill in all the gaps with the textbook, course materials, and anything else I need.

I do Law though, so idk how well that applies to STEM desu senpai
>>
>>7649025
I do something similar. Use a legal pad to take shitty unorganized notes and periodically transcribe into an actual notebook. Works 110%
>>
>>7650541
>I do Law though, so idk how well that applies to STEM desu senpai

that would work well in stem but it sounds like a lot of work. i just copy what's on the board in lecture because it's the most important stuff to remember and then look in books when I am solving problems.
>>
I get free notetakers for every class I'm in because I have a disability kek
>>
Math major
I write down the theorems, lemmas, definitions, etc
I leave out the proofs because I'd rather have more time to think through them in the class than hurriedly scribble down a proof that's readily available not only in our textbook but also online.
>>
Notes in STEM are degenerate.

Read the textbook the day before class. Why take notes when you already know where to find everything in the book?
>>
File: 1447179404997.jpg (231 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1447179404997.jpg
231 KB, 960x960
How...do you learn from a book?
I mean, honestly. Never used a book to learn anything. I breezed through the german equivalent of High School (Oberstufe) and most of my College/University classes without ever worked with a book.

How to get started? Like, just open it and read it? Seems like I'm putting more effort in approaching this than actually doing this...
>>
>>7650909
>implying recognition is the same as recall

That's why so many college kids "study" so much and learn nothing, because they think that just reading the book is going to make them know everything.

It does work for some people, but the rest of us rely on other methods, one of which is taking notes.
>>
>>7650909
There are plenty of classes that don't strictly follow a textbook.
>>
>>7651913
Yep. Do a bunch of the included exercises. Try and work through the proofs on your own as well.
>>
>>7650889
This. If you care about your popularity or getting laid don't try this. I don't, however, so on the first day of every class I act slightly "off" and tell the teacher that I have a disability and need notetakers. Then he will ask the class who will take the notes and some beta will always say he'll do it. He probably tries even harder to take good notes because he has someone else reliant on him lel. I'm in a community college though, so this probably wouldn't work if I was at MIT or something where the only people with disabilities they see are legit autists who can remember the lecture by heart and ace every class.
>>
>>7651913

if you think you understand it, try to explain it to your classmates or someone interested and who doesn't know the matter.

the mistakes the person does, you will remember and learn of it and you might also come up with simpler ways of doing the same exercise.

or make a mistake yourself which is also good.

but now I tell you the secret german saying:

Mach den scheiß Computer aus und lies das verdammte Buch!
>>
>>7650221
this...since finishing high school almost all of my class material can be found online, i just like writing down things i consider important because it feels like i remember them easier , although taking a picture or trying to draw it sometimes makes it stick in my mind even better
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.