[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is at the forefront of the development of AI? Soon finished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
Who is at the forefront of the development of AI? Soon finished my master's degree, and so I want to dedicate my whole life to science, I would like to get the PhD where I will work or nearby. I am now considering the option of German, TUM, but it is worth to have a fallback.
>>
>>7646100
The forefront is at Google Deepmind. They are in London.

I don't know if you'll get there though: they're hiring, but you basically need to be a genius to get in.
>>
>>7646150
I don`t want to work with Google or Facebook.
>>
>>7646150
IBM or Google. Watson, Deepmind and BostonDynamics all look promising.
>>
>>7646152
Then this thread has no point. There's no university that has the people and the resources to be at the forefront of AI research, and so will be for the forseeable future.

IBM could be a decent second choice, as this anon >>7646153 pointed out. Another one is Baidu. But still, I don't see them being the best.
>>
>>7646100
I am.
my university has a super computer and they give it to me because I am a genius with home made AI that has sex with me
..or something like that
>>
>>7646187
at least the "my university has a super computer" part is true haha
>>
>>7646188
:-)
>>
Recent report stated that were true ai achieved 65% of the world population would be unemployed. 34% employed in ai related services and 1% would be as gods.

And you want to further this nightmare scenario?
>>
>>7646100
In general terms, definitely Google. But there are lots of niches where others lead the way. There are weather prediction AIs, and control systems for aircraft, and more frivolous things like chess engines. There's greenhouse/agricultural automation. Predictive/adaptive supply chain management. Intelligent traffic control is coming soon.

>>7646501
Nightmare? Sounds to me like we're getting pretty close to heaven. By that prediction, we'll have an economy that's sufficiently automated to the point that people will only work if they want to, for extra luxuries. Either that, or they'll only work 4 months of the year, or for 10 years full time before retirement.

I've been working for over 10 years, and let me tell you, retirement would be pretty sweet right now. Godspeed, OP, godspeed.
>>
>>7646100
Google, Stanford, MIT.

https://nips.cc/Conferences/2015/AcceptedPapers
>>
>>7646501
I've read a different report. It stated that 80% of reported statistical data are completely made up and 115% of those don't even make sense.
>>
>>7646153
>BostonDynamics
robots =/= AI
>>
>>7646547
Well my report was bigger than yours !
>>
>>7646532
You think the super-rich will allow 'their' money to be drained on a welfare system? Dream on. Slowly common mass production will cease, an artisan class will supply everything bespoke to their gods, this is already in process
>>
The Machine Intelligence Research Institute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Intelligence_Research_Institute
>>
>>7646153
>IBM or Google
this would be my first guess as well for general AI forefront but there might be entities we aren't aware of or don't expect that are forefront, especially in niches

>>7646546
I highly doubt that Stanford and MIT are on the same level as Google and IBM. number of papers is not the same as niveau of research

good universities are often at the forefront in certain research areas. I know this well from my own university which is filled with state of the art research and engineering. but with AI I am sceptical. not that universities aren't at the state of the art in this sector but rather in which way. I've never heard of any Stanford or MIT AI that has accomplished nearly as much as IBM or Google AIs.
>>
I'm going to make a maybe controversial claim and say that modern AI is mostly driven by private industries. It also has little resemblance to the AI dreams of the 50s-60s. I think a better name for the sort of modern AI research going on would be: "algorithms for hard/uncomputable problems" or "applied statistics and modelling".
>>
File: 1290835453384.jpg (211 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1290835453384.jpg
211 KB, 550x550
>all these idiots buying into the Google hype machine

IBM is and always will be evil, but at least Watson demonstrated tangible results. Google is such a one-hit wonder, even the technofetishists on /g/ consider their shitty phones beneath consideration and head straight for Apple every time.
>>
>>7646100
>>7648088
Pretty much this. It really depends on what OP means by AI. Do you want to be on the cutting edge of machine learning techniques — search engines, self-driving vehicles, etc? What everyone else said.
Do you want to chase strong AI? Double major in neuroscience and go study under Robert Granger at Dartmouth, I'm serious. His people are doing more with comp. neuro. right now than anyone else I've found.
>>
>>7646971
The beauty of democracy is that should the people will it, we can tax the rich however we like. We can nationalize any production or technology that we feel is important to us, and no one can really say dick about it.

And even in non-democratic places, the fact is that corporations are mostly run by just a small number of people, and the wealthy remain so by our sufferance. If the rest of us ever decided that they were truly a threat to our well-being and really got determined to destroy them, it would be a simple matter. It's happened before, and it will happen again. The rich aren't as powerful as most people tend to think; it's an illusion that they cultivate.
>>
>>7649858
You have no idea what Google does, do you? They are a massive company with an R&D budget that outclasses the entire GDP of a lot of independent nations, with their fingers in so many pies that it boggles the mind.
>>
If I were rich I would not like to live equally with everyone. You have worked much harder for your money given you are a trust fund baby. It feels like you are being cheated by having to live equally with the "normies". No way things are gonna be equal in the near future without lots of conflict. The rich have so much power.
>>
>>7649954
300 billion is a lot, but the reason they are important is that they are spending their money in the right things. Countries however waste lots of money for useless things. Plus funding AI isn't something that's a priority.
>>
>>7646971
You say that like 3D printing and in time molecular assemblers aren't the future of industry.
>>
>>7649956
If the rich don't let me become a machinegod i'll probably gray goo their asses tbf
>>
>>7649974
watch them terminate people like you before they reach 10yrs old based on a metal evaluation.

>jimmy doesn't like rich people
>jimmy has been terminated
>bob likes rich people
>bob gets to live
>>
Believe in JT -- coming to a store near you.
>>
>>7649948
I am so sorry, I dont mean to patronise, but I had such a laugh. You are here, on 4chan, and you still believe this is a democracy where YOU can change anything? In the UK, the establishment controls everything, in the US the corporate elite control everything, I cant speak for Aus, NZ, Canada, France, Germany, Holland but....
>>
you cane be solo at the forefront of ai. you just have to learn LISP and run your ai through raspberry pi.
>>
>>7646501
>And you want to further this nightmare scenario?
The only way through is through.
Damn the torpedoes, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7647218
>I highly doubt that Stanford and MIT are on the same level as Google and IBM.
You wot? MIT is leagues ahead of Google and IBM. MIT has researchers google and IBM cannot obtain for their research staff. Stanford is where Google goes and recruit their Machine learning staff.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.