[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.popsci.com/allen-telesco pe-array-hunted-for-alie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: NaiveLinearCrocodile[1].webm (148 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
NaiveLinearCrocodile[1].webm
148 KB, 854x480
http://www.popsci.com/allen-telescope-array-hunted-for-alien-megastructures-and-found-nothing

> Could there be aliens around the star KIC 8462852? You may either be relieved or disappointed to find out that the Allen Telescope Array scanned the star for evidence of advanced civilizations, and has come up empty.

Dyson Spherers BTFO. Accept that there are no ayyliens and move on.
>>
File: le libertarian trashman.jpg (27 KB, 948x711) Image search: [Google]
le libertarian trashman.jpg
27 KB, 948x711
>http://www.popsci.com
>>
>>7645624

>This rules out omnidirectional transmitters of approximately 100 times today’s total terrestrial energy usage in the case of the narrowband signals, and 10 million times that usage for broadband emissions.

Pardon me if I'm not convinced this is anything but the weakest constraint on the presence or absence of ayylmaos.
>>
>>7645643
it isn't. If they were signaling anything on a channel, we would have caught a glimpse of it. But we didn't. Because it's not aliens. It's never aliens.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 670x472) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 670x472
>popsci
>>
>>7645652
>we would have caught a glimpse of it

Unless, you know, they were signaling it on a channel not between 1 and 10 GHz, or were transmitting with an EIRP of less than [math]4 \times 10^{15}[/math] W, or were transmitting at a higher energy but with spread-spectrum encodings that are harder to distinguish from background noise.
>>
>>7645624
>www.popsci.com
>Not linking to the actual paper

For fuck's sake, OP. I get that you just want another shitty bait thread, but at least put some effort into it.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1511/1511.01606.pdf
>>
>>7645664
>>7645661
> The observations presented here indicate no
evidence for persistent technology-related
signals in the microwave frequency range 1
– 10 GHz with threshold sensitivities of 180
– 300 Jy in a 1 Hz channel for signals with 0.01 – 100 Hz bandwidth, and 100 Jy in a 100
kHz channel from 0.1 – 100 MHz.

well, thanks for proving my point i guess.
>>
>>7645670
>Quotes my post
>Posts a quote from the paper saying the exact same thing I just said
>well thanks for proving my point, I guess

???
>>
>there are no sentient extraterrestrials because there are civilizations that fit in a fucking scifi novel
Unless by 'ayyliens' you specifically meant scifi ufo aliens, in which case nevermind.
>>
>>7645680
> no evidence for persistent technology-related
signals
should I come there and read this to you for you to comprehend ?
>>
>>7645685
I suggest you try reading the rest of the words in your quote.
>>
>>7645698
no evidence for persistent technology-related signals in the microwave frequency range 1 – 10 GHz with threshold sensitivities of 180 – 300 Jy in a 1 Hz channel for signals with 0.01 – 100 Hz bandwidth, and 100 Jy in a 100 kHz channel from 0.1 – 100 MHz.

did you have a point ? or something like that ?
>>
>>7645707
The important words here are the "in the microwave frequency range of 1-10 GHz, with threshold sensitivities of 180 – 300 Jy in a 1 Hz channel for signals with 0.01 – 100 Hz bandwidth, and 100 Jy in a 100 kHz channel from 0.1 – 100 MHz." part.

Which means that they only looked at the 1-10 GHz microwave band, with threshold sensitivities that were actually quite severe and could miss even very powerful signals.
>>
>>7645714
is there no way to read those signals ?
>>
>>7645722
Yes. You get a bigger and more sensitive radio telescope.

I think it's quite likely that SETI observations will eventually strongly contraindicate technological activity; betting against ayylmao has always worked before.

I'm just saying that this study does not do that. It's certainly evidence, but not strong evidence in the least.
>>
>>7645652
Why the fuck would they even be signaling with an omnidirectional transmitter?

>Have an entire civilization spend who knows how long to build an amazing resource.
>Use it to power a huge advertise it to anyone else who may want to take it for themselves.
>>
>AYY LMAO FAGS BTFO
Its a new natural phenomenon we haven't observed.
>>
File: nanihein.png (15 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
nanihein.png
15 KB, 498x500
>>7645624
>>7645664
Why the fuck would ayy lmaos broadcast like retards when we ourselves are moving away from it towards optic fibers and tight beams ?

Are SETIfags stuck in the sixties or something ?
>>
File: 1446981195900.png (4 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1446981195900.png
4 KB, 498x500
>>7645959
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.
>>
>>7645959
Shortwave is still useful. I don't think radio will ever fall out of use completely, it's too cheap and simple.
>>
>>7645643
>This rules out omnidirectional transmitters of approximately 100 times today’s total terrestrial energy usage in the case of the narrowband signals, and 10 million times that usage for broadband emissions.

So essentially this is like ruling out that they're not using death-star class lasers for communication because their star isn't bright enough to see during daytime.

It says pretty much nothing at all in other words, why the fuck would they use ultra-high energy omnidirectional emitters?
>>
>>7645624
>Go to east coast.
>Fold a post-it note into a listening cone.
>Hear no voices, conclude that humans don't live in europe.
>>
How powerful an unintentional signal need to be so we can hear it at that distance?
>>
>>7646122
Imagine a nuclear weapon that emitted only radiowaves.
>>
No shit, some blips of light aren't proof of aliens.

Why does /sci/ get all riled up about KIC, but not UFO sightings/reports?

It really escapes me.
>>
>>7646166
That's because you're lost where you don't belong.
Here, let me show you the way home : >>>/x/
>>
>>7646166
coz they aren't UFOs
>>
>>7645933
More like use it to lure savages so their delicious culture can be harvested for its novelties.
>>
>>7645933
>>7646059

They wouldn't necessarily be transmitting omnidirectionally on purpose. For instance, if they're using microwave power beaming, that would both have inevitable leakage in many directions and involve extremely high-powered and focused signals. At the kind of energies a Dyson-swarm-building civilization would have access to, even vast radio leakage would be fairly trivial.

Also, it rules out more focused signals pointed at us (intentionally or accidentally) with the same intensity but less total power due to a higher directivity. The keyword is EIRP - the Arecibo planetary radar has an EIRP (Effective Isotropic Radiated Power) of 10^13 W, despite obviously not taking 10^13 watts to run, because it only emits a narrow beam with that intensity.
>>
>>7646178
>that would both have inevitable leakage in many directions and involve extremely high-powered and focused signals
If they beam 100x terrestial energy in a directional beam then how much spillover would you really expect to see when looking in their general direction?

And beaming that level of power doesn't sound like a very sensible thing to do unless you're terraforming. Heavy industry could be colocated on the megastructure.
>>
>>7646178
Also, it's worth noting that they only observed for one week of total telescope time, so the chance of encountering a tightly focused beam by chance might be quite small depending on how many there are.

Also, they might be using optical and/or particle-beam methods of beamed power and propulsion instead. Optical transmissions could also replace most radio communications, as well as big-ass lasers replacing planetary radars like Arecibo. (Planetary radar being Earth's biggest source of long-distance-visible transmissions, because it involves extremely powerful focused narrowband signals.)

I really wish I could find sources that would tell me the power and frequency spectrum of the Earth's artificial radio noise escaping into space, and how it's changed over time. Scaling that up by a factor of civilizational power would at least give the vaguest ballpark idea of how reasonable it would be for a Dyson-swarm-building civilization to avoid detection through this search.
>>
>>7645661
This. Do you know how hard it would be to actually detect signals from that far away? If it's directional vs omnidirectional makes a difference too, of which I'm guessing directional is more useful in the local system, considering it's got better range at lower power and if they've got a dyson sphere, it would have the ability to relay signals. Who knows if an advanced race would even be using radio at this point. Maybe they have some kind of entanglement communication. In any case, we know there's not the expected output for someone using the capabilities we have NOW and we'd probably never detect it if they were, unless they were deliberately pointing high powered beams directly at us.
>>
>>7646071
This is my favorite post of all time
>>
>>7646201
> In any case, we know there's not the expected output for someone using the capabilities we have NOW

I'm not sure we know that. What, exactly, is the expected output for a Dyson-sphere-building civilization, assuming that RF signals and AC electricity continue to prove useful?

Hell, what's OUR radio output, right now?
>>
>>7645624
if it were ayy lmao, capable of dyson spheres/clusters, the simple assumption that they would not be using some form of tight beam communication is pure idiocy. Let alone the idea that our theory of mind would even apply to ayy lmao, they may not even recognize us or our earth as life, or intelligent.
go read "Usurper of the Sun"
gives a pretty decent idea of what reason there could be for the whole great silence
>>
File: Popsci.jpg (6 KB, 180x210) Image search: [Google]
Popsci.jpg
6 KB, 180x210
>>7645624
>>
File: ifyousaysogeorge.jpg (17 KB, 213x247) Image search: [Google]
ifyousaysogeorge.jpg
17 KB, 213x247
>>7646282

>What, exactly, is the expected output for a Dyson-sphere-building civilization, assuming that RF signals and AC electricity continue to prove useful?

Who the hell knows?

I'd imagine it would be on several orders of magnitude greater than what we're capable of producing with today's technology.
>>
File: Leo High.jpg (55 KB, 716x724) Image search: [Google]
Leo High.jpg
55 KB, 716x724
Where are all the Dysonfags that claimed it was orbiting dyson panels or some shit like that ?
Enjoy your buttrampage lol. Fucking manchildren.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.