[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosmology noob here. Since we have observable and documented
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: grand_universe_by_antifan_real1.jpg (352 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
grand_universe_by_antifan_real1.jpg
352 KB, 1280x688
Cosmology noob here.

Since we have observable and documented evidence that galaxies, including our own, are rapidly moving away from each other, has there been any attempt by scientists to plot the exact location in 3-dimensional space where the "big bang" actually occurred?
>>
>>7645278
Since every galaxy is moving away from every other galaxy, the only realistic answer to "where did the big bang happen" is where ever you are observing from.
>>
>>7645278
I suppose it's possible, but why?
There's no real reason to figure that out.
I imagine the computing power required would alone make the task nigh impossible.
>>
>>7645278
Everywhere. It's not an explosion, its a rapidly expanding point.

Your question is like blowing up a balloon and asking "what us the exact location of the balloon when it was less inflated?
>>
>>7645280
Damn, that's fucking nuts
>>
So are planets, our bodies, etc larger and constantly enlarging relative to what they were a second ago?
>>
>>7645345
No, the cosmological constant is weaker than all other forces. Protons and neutrons are a small bit larger than you would expect from just measuring strong and electromagnetic forces, but the expansion is overhwlemed by gravity, etc.

In between galaxies, where there is no real concentration of matter or energy, the cosmological constant dominates, and thus space expands
>>
>discussing cosmology and "dude the big bang lmao"
>not a single equation was seen
fucking sage
>>
Because asking 4chan is a better idea than a simple Google search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4c-gX9MT1Q
>>
File: aquinas.jpg (225 KB, 681x1023) Image search: [Google]
aquinas.jpg
225 KB, 681x1023
>>7645318

...And The Lord God Almighty owns the balloon factory.

Don't forget that part.
>>
Look from your point the universe is expanding around you but from an another persons point the universe is expanding around him...
>>
File: center.png (68 KB, 707x436) Image search: [Google]
center.png
68 KB, 707x436
>>7645318
And yet, at every point, there is a center of the balloon's sphere. The point which is farthest from all the edges.
>>
>>7646449
Thanks for that visual it was quite helpful I totally didn't know what you meant by center of the balloons sphere.

You're asking a question that is equivalent to "which point on the edge of a sphere is farthest from every edge?" There is nowhere on the universe that is the center of the expansion. It is outside of our observations, or "inside" the universe by your analogy.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.