[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't we evolved into a Type I Civilization yet? Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: featured-space-policy.jpg (313 KB, 949x534) Image search: [Google]
featured-space-policy.jpg
313 KB, 949x534
Why haven't we evolved into a Type I Civilization yet? Why must we cut funding for science and halt progression to joint pointless wars over black gold?
>>
Only correct answer is bc hitler didnt win
>>
>>7644956
Because you can't throw money at scientific progress. It requires a special mind to solve issues that are currently unsolvable. To go into Type I civilization you need to solve nuclear fusion and create a network of fusion plants to power the planet. Also the black gold is dying. Cheap oil is running out, and a lot of countries are changing to natural gas or fission power. The latter is becoming important in China and India. Two countries that consume a lot of oil.
>>
File: 192.png (498 KB, 995x415) Image search: [Google]
192.png
498 KB, 995x415
>>7644964
africa and india havn't modernized yet and are going to go through a massive period of growth

people seem to ignore this but the world's electricity consumtion is going to more than triple very soon and this will most likely be run through coal and gas.
It's ironic that pro-environment hippies basically fucked up the world more than anybody else by giving into anti-nuclear fear campaigns
>>
>>7644956
because evolution doesn't real
>>
>>7644964
You can to an extent, because 80% of the work is the type of stuff that can be done in half the time with double the manpower. I'm sure if you pumped enough money into scientific research then you'd eventually hit the point where you're limited by the speed of innovation, but there's not nearly enough investment to even be close to that point yet.
>>
>>7644985
The fear of nuclear energy should die off with the boomers.
Most younger generations see the benefits outweigh the risks, of which there are very few, of nuclear energy.
>>
>>7644959
You're meming, but you're actually correct.
>>
File: bgimage.jpg (336 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bgimage.jpg
336 KB, 1024x768
>>7644956
>Thinking the wars are over oil.
Jesus fucking Christ.
What is this, 10 level conspiracy class? Yeah, oil was a motivation for a battle, but is hardly the root of all war or power for that matter.
>>
>>7645016
Speaking of conspiracies... If you mention Thomas Jefferson, I quit. That is borderline illuminati tier conspiracy.

If you're not or have no clue what I'm talking about, it's an interesting theory to research that manages to trace a disturbingly clear line all through history. It's worth a cringe.
>>
>>7644956
people are afraid of meritocracy and eugenics
>>
>>7645246
Almost all wars are fought over some kind of resource though. Claiming it's really about religion or nationalism is literally the meme answer.
>>
>>7645625
do not fall for the bait
>>
>>7645246
I don't know what that pic is, but I SS-ranked an Osu! song overlayed onto it once. Took me like 40 plays too
>>
>>7644956
"black gold" is cheap easy energy, we need to use energy to support billions of people who will come up with ways to use this abundant energy to advance science and engineering

being a dumb luddite hippy, more worried about a slug going extinct than human civilization growing in power and scope is PRECISELY the reason we are going to take a long time to reach type 1, if ever, if you people keep electing anti-humanists eco-retards
>>
>>7644956
>w-we would live in a perfect techno utopia if we didn't have to spend money on war!

War is dumb but nah m8. Its not that simple.

What pop sci friends need to understand is that yes some problems could be helped with more money/research but not all of them.

For example FTL space travel. This will probably never happen, ever, no matter how much money we throw it at. Why? Well everything we know about nature currently tells us its impossible.

So yea some things like advanced AI for example probably just need more time/money invested in them, no law of nature we know of seems to prevent the existence of advanced AI. But other things may never be possible no matter what we do. You can't fight the laws of nature m8.

Too many people with sci fi boners thinking we'd have everything in Star Trek if we just didn't have war, or religion, or republicans, and its just not true. The sad truth is allot of Star Trek style shit is probably just impossible and we'll never have it.
>>
>>7645647
Most humans are garbage, and our species as a whole is net throwaway trash that can barely figure out how to live with itself.
>>
>>7645648
>this entire post
why do niggers think they know anything about any type of science?
>>
>>7645687
So you think we're gonna have FTL space ships and live with aliens and be like captain Kirk cause science can do anything like its some kind of magic?
>>
>>7644956
>Why haven't we evolved into...
... because a species does not evolve *into* another species, it evolved *from* another species.
Lrn2evolution fgt pls
>>
>>7644985
India has the largest uranium deposits in the world. They also have the largest Thorium deposits as well. Africa most likely will go nuclear. Oil and Coal is too expensive to produce in Africa.
>>7645007
You can't throw money at the project. It doesn't work that way.
>>
>>7645647
Cheap oil is running out. Most of the oil produced today is tar sands. A very expensive process by the way. The oil crash is bankrupting oil companies and big oil companies are posting record losses. Shell and Exxon are about to laid off people. There is a rumor they are going to sell some of their assets as well.
>>
>>7645640
Pendulum-The vulture would be the osu! beatmap, touhou fan art would be the picture.
>>
File: Uraniumore.png (53 KB, 305x416) Image search: [Google]
Uraniumore.png
53 KB, 305x416
>>7645798
>India has the largest uranium deposits in the world.
I'm pretty sure that's Australia m8.
>>
>>7645798
>India has the largest uranium deposits in the world

"no"
>>
Because there are more important things like fighting for equality.
>>
>>7644956
because children of today are tought to have rolemodels that are in sport;music or films.
>>
>>7644956

Because we have not yet mastered fusion technology

>inb4 mastering ourselves as a species
>>
>>7645706
I don't think it's entirely impossible. I mean, Newtonian physics was superseded by Einsteinian, some day we may have a new model of the universe that permits FTL by finding "holes" in Einsteinian physics (much like Einsteinian physics found "hole" in Newtonian physics). But it's not the kind of thing that happens overnight.

>>7645784
>Type I Civilization is a species
Lrn2readingcomprehension
>>
>>7646103
That explains why australians are what they are. They are a mutated, bastardized, subhuman species.
>>
Wait another 100 years or so for us to become a type 1 civilization.
>>
>>7646551

>That explains why australians are what they are. They are a mutated, bastardized, subhuman species.

Clearly you meant Slavs are what they are.

You can blame their noble masters (before the Communist uprising). Particularly in Poland and Russia.

Australians are essentially Englishmen gone country.
>>
>>7646103
They discovered a new deposit in Southern India a year after your picture.
>>
>>7644956
quit being a commie. competition (and war) is what drives 90% of scientific/technological progress. if you just have a one world organization that dumps money at science you end up with an even worse version of NASA
>>
>>7644956
>Why haven't we evolved into a Type I Civilization yet?
Because that scale is some dude's opinion and is unverifiable, immeasurable pseudoscience.
>>
>>7646544
I think there's just too many people with sci fi induced boners going around thinking everything would be like that if only conservatives weren't in the way! And I'm just saying that's dumb.

I'm not a conservative myself but I do believe in natural laws you know. I don't think "anythings possible if we can dream it!!!!". I think the real reason we don't have allot of sci fi shit is because in the real world shit doesn't work like that, not cause the evil republicans are keeping it from us.
>>
>>7646652
The "evil republicans" thing is more about mundane scientific developments, if people start panicking about nuclear power/GMOs/vaccines etc, there's going to be less interest to research in those areas. Things like FTL, if it is possible, really requires theories so far out there that we can't just get to them by accelerating our research.
>>
i think just solving nuclear fusion and making some fusion powered interplanetary craft would require an astronomical sum -- like 100 trillion. you would need every first world/industrialized country to throw their money and sweat into one concerted effort. it can't just be the US and the nominal (non significant support) of a couple of countries -- it has to be everyone. you would everyone to basically stop spending on their militaries and redirect everything to one space fund. most importantly, you'd need to get the best and brightest minds of the world to put in collective decades of time into these projects.

basically it's a pipedream because our current civilization does not deem these projects to be a priority of our resources. This will most likely be a mid-to-late 22nd century concern.
>>
>>7645706

Anon, your smartphone would be magic for somebody from 100 years ago. Not even mentioning 1000 years ago.

Saying that we will never do it is just retarded. We are taking first steps as a civilization.
>>
>>7647135
So you think there are literally no limits to what's possible then?
>>
>>7647154
I think it's naive to think we're so advanced that we can know for sure that anything is really impossible.
>>
“Today’s scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ”

― Nikola Tesla

as soon we know that math is the only language that can provide absolute truth and that phi is the ratio for every single function in nature.

– me
>>
>>7647162
There's reasons to believe FTL doesn't work, and many other sci fi inventions, maybe we'll make some crazy discovery but I'm not holding my breath.
>>
>>7644959
We all know that this is true. 10 German scientists easily make up a single jewish genius, so we'd still have all our technical advancements we have to day and a lot more money for space travel if the non-Aryans were wiped out. We'd likely have a whole city on mars already if it wasn't for white countries trying to save the world.
>>
>>7647194
What would even be the point of colonizing Mars though?
>>
>>7647198
Humanity on 2 planets > Humanity on 1 planet
>>
>>7647198
id pay good money to live on mars.
>>
>>7647205
Yeah but the cost would be enormous, you'd probably need multiple rocket trips to provide the materials needed to build even a village, not to mention constant food shipments.
>>
>>7647226
It would be harrowing at first, but eventually Mars could sustain a large population. Mars has ore that can be mined and used for building materials (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ore_resources_on_Mars), soil that can grow plants (https://www.nasa.gov/feature/can-plants-grow-with-mars-soil) and even liquid water (https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-confirms-evidence-that-liquid-water-flows-on-today-s-mars)
>>
>>7647205
Leaving Earth is expensive, and also heretical

We stay on Earth
>>
"muh military budget"

and that humans are fundamentally stupid

Hobbes and Locke were both wrong, people are inherently stupid and fearful.

We must weed out the weak and breed from the strong and intelligent. Kill the pig, slit her throat, bash her head.
>>
>>7647429
pop sci edge lord go home.
>>
>>7647445

Don't mess with me, kiddo. I'm a professional mycologist.
>>
File: externality.jpg (101 KB, 872x490) Image search: [Google]
externality.jpg
101 KB, 872x490
>>7645647

It's only cheap if you take out the negative externalities. And countries that subsidize oil tend to be massively inefficient. It's called the Curse of Oil.
>>
>>7647482
more like professional shitposter
>>
>>7647172
Nice quote, plz post this to /r/atheism but pretend tesla said the second part. I want something to finally dethrone the enlightened by my own intelligence quote.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.