[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scientific reasons why not to be vegan? Photo related just PETA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14
File: PETA-Facebook-Logo.jpg (52 KB, 1500x1475) Image search: [Google]
PETA-Facebook-Logo.jpg
52 KB, 1500x1475
Scientific reasons why not to be vegan? Photo related just PETA being PETA.
>>
>>7643028
Science has found strong evidence of a link between being vegan and being a self righteous asshole.
>>
>>7643028
lowers testosterone
not natural and probably comes with a slew of other health problems.
>>
File: tier.png (1 MB, 1198x2331) Image search: [Google]
tier.png
1 MB, 1198x2331
>>7643028

Remember to say no to cults, kids.
>>
File: goat.jpg (93 KB, 797x594) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
93 KB, 797x594
>>7643028
No, there's not a scientific reason not to be a vegan, just like there isn't a scientific reason to study maths or a scientific reason why goats are so cute.
>>
>>7643087
>or a scientific reason why goats are so cute.
but there is. I dont know exactly what it is, but there definitely is.
>>
>>7643082
that image is stupid as fuck
>>
File: transhuman_001[1].png (802 KB, 1008x490) Image search: [Google]
transhuman_001[1].png
802 KB, 1008x490
>>7643082
Transhumanism > all of that
>>
>>7643296
Transhumanism worse than all of those. The only things worse than transhumanism are /x/ tier extraterrestrial deification or rokos basalisk shit.
>>
>>7643310
and how is transhumanism worse than anything ?
>>
File: mountain-goats-close-stare.jpg (354 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
mountain-goats-close-stare.jpg
354 KB, 1200x800
>>7643087
No it's simply an empirical fact that goats are cute
>>
>>7643317
goats are fucking ugly and lame
>>
>>7643028
Being vegan is fine, but some of the protein alternative products aren't very good for you.

Best diet would be close to vegan. Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain carbohydrates, Sometimes eating non-red meat.

But honestly that sucks. I'm eating pizza right now.
>>
>>7643320
You're objectively wrong. See >>7643317
>>
>>7643320
Goats are GOAT, faggot.
>>
>>7643082
/pol/ is getting worse.

That pic is retarded af, and so you are
>>
File: cool goat.jpg (197 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
cool goat.jpg
197 KB, 540x720
>>7643320
>>
>>7643028

Because being dogmatic is retarded. Should I not enjoy the honey from the bees I keep in my garden? Choosing to boycott industries who treat animals unethically I can get behind, or at least understand, but veganism is more like a cult
>>
File: :^).gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
:^).gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>7643082

>My irrational cult is better than yours!
>>
>>7643072
> lowers testosterone
No, that's not true in general. For specific vegan diets, perhaps, but some carnivorous diets also lower testosterone below the average. Some vegan diets raise it above the average. It has more to do with adequate consumption of various trace minerals (zinc in particular) and the different hormone-like molecules that occur in various plants.
>>
>>7643082
This picture says alot about its creator ;^)
>>
>>7643513
>responding to obvious bait
>>
>>7643028
scientific reason to be a vegan: it reduces the amount of suffering in the universe
>>
>>7643554
So would exterminating all life-forms.
>>
File: 25512679_p0.png (485 KB, 700x1324) Image search: [Google]
25512679_p0.png
485 KB, 700x1324
>>7643028
There aren't any, at least any that can be backed and (successfully) substantially argued.

>>7643087
That's not the case. Being too complex and mediated by myriad factors that are constantly in flux, doesn't mean it can't be explained. We're machines. We can be explained.

Just like the basis of women with cat ears being attractive could, given enough time and knowledge, be resolved down to the most minute and specific mechanics of the system framing and experiencing a given stimuli in that way.
>>
>>7643563
hitler did nothing wrong
>>
>>7643576
>you will never live forever in a full immersion VR sorrounded by catgirls
>>
>>7643028
Humans are predatory animals. You can tell from the fact that the eyes of predators are in front of their heads so they can focus on tracking their prey, while the eyes of prey animals are on the side of their head so they can watch a larger area for predators. We have our eyes in the front, so we are predators. So you see, vegans are just dietary kekolds.
>>
>>7643584
yes, this argument clearly has no flaws whatsoever. you have eyes on the front of your head, therefore it is perfectly moral to pay for and consume the remains of sentient creatures that have been tortured to death
>>
>>7643586
I said none of that, but I can tell from the tone of your writing these facts make you substantially buttflustred. Why are you denying scientific fact, just because you disagree with it's consequences?
>>
>>7643581
I'm seriously offended just reading that. You seriously just think you can go onto the internet and post this kind of shit, do you know anything about history or the people involved whatsoever? What the fuck is wrong with people, how can they be so thoughtless towards the reality behind their empty claims? How about I tell you how it really is.

Hitler choosing to divert his panzer troops from their push towards Moscow was a terrible decision. It gave Russia a whole ~2 years to regroup and focus on only one active front. The germans were poorly prepared for cold weather warfare and the Stalingrad front was strategically greatly in the Russian's favor.

Furthermore, all that meth which was possibly contaminated with MPTP, along with his tendency towards ending his waves with barbiturates, made his decision making garbage as the war went on.

Hitler did plenty wrong.
>>
animal agriculture is the number one contributor to deforestation and increases in greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere.

so i dunno man you tell me whether you should be vegan or not.
>>
>>7643607
>deforestation
We're seeing reforesteation in most civilized countries.

> increases in greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere.
I live in a temperate country so a warming climate is enormously beneficial for everything here.
>>
>>7643028

I fucking love the taste of meat and eggs and could care less about your environmentalist religion or feelings towards retarded animals, but it sure as fuck seems like humans do not function too well when there are many calories coming from animal products. There is just so much evidence against it and it's really hard to paint a case for it using the existing nutrition literature without cherry-picking and being overly speculative.
>>
On one hand I love meat, but i also hate animals suffering unnecessarily. So I will keep thinking about it. Maybe make myself a bacon sandwich while im at it
>>
>>7643670
>but i also hate animals suffering unnecessarily.
It's okay, you probably just lived a really sheltered life.
>>
>>7643613
>I live in a temperate country so a warming climate is enormously beneficial for everything here.
(a) this isn't true
(b) if it is true it shows an astounding disregard for the suffering of others (or at least it would be astounding if this weren't 4chan)
>>
File: 08_by_syarpage-d9b6hn6.jpg (719 KB, 900x1260) Image search: [Google]
08_by_syarpage-d9b6hn6.jpg
719 KB, 900x1260
As a proud white blue eyed european, I will never convert to veganism.

*tips helmet*
>>
>>7643028
I'm a white male, i can't stop to torture murder and oppress.
Veganism is just not for me.
>>
>>7643554
It doesn't lower the suffering of all the poor bastards who have to listen to vegan's pretentious bullshit.
>>
>>7643586
>moral

Hahaha

Wrong board /Phil/thy faggot
>>
>>7643996
This. Its just genetics i cant help but to holocaust cows and pigs every time i make dinner
>>
>>7644004
Can you provide some examples of this "pretentious bullshit"?

Bear in mind, I haven't slept in ~45 hours. If you view it as an argument, or a debate, you most certainly have the upper hand.
>>
>>7644021
*crickets

Being vegan is the logical way to be for all reasons. People use "Pretentious bullshit" to cast a shadow on anything too smart, too effective, too righteous, or too something else positive for them to go on making decisions the way they do.
>>
>>7644028
PS, I say this to you over a container of general so 's chicken. It's not pretentious rambling. I eat meat. But it's still fucking obviously the truth that meat is murder and is unnecessary when plants produce fruits and soy beans for you. just because veggies are yucky doesn't mean this delicious chicken is justified.
>>
>>7644031
Soybean is garbage, and I wish it never became pushed as a "health food". It's anything but for the majority of the population.
-Goitrogenic second only to spinach
-Estrogen-like isoflavones, the function of which are still poorly understood
-Heavily subsidized, and the small proportion of glyphosate laced garbage that doesn't go to waste on livestock is put in most processed food. You tell the average American how much soy they eat, and they say "huh? I don't eat soy!" Yeah you do! You eat it nearly every meal! Even the organic stuff in moderate doses isn't necessary when you have garbanzo beans and whatnot.
-Ravages soil. It's preferred for its relative short and orderly growing cycle, so it's very easy to harvest. Unfortunately this means it needs more fertilizer, which more quickly contaminates soil with heavy metals and leads to great accumulation in the plants themselves.
-Like most crops in the US, it's poor in nutrients.

Other than that, yes. Eating meat is clearly a behavior supported by denial and self delusion. I eat turkey fairly frequently, but at least I have the balls to admit and accept the nature of my actions. Especially given how pathetic it is I probably couldn't easily bring myself to kill the animal myself.
>>
>forced to replace meat with nuts/seeds that taste horrible, contain phytic acid (anti-nutrient) and are common allergens to most people.

nope.

If I became vegan, I'd develop deficiencies within months thru not eating the stuff that is supposed to replace meat for nutrients.
>>
Grazing animals are very efficient fat and protein producers in areas that are not suitable for farming soybean or other similar high-protein plants. I live in Lapland and it would be absolutely insane for me to stop eating reindeer, moose and lake fish and substitute it with processed soy products imported from China.
>>
File: MJf7MKu.png (364 KB, 469x620) Image search: [Google]
MJf7MKu.png
364 KB, 469x620
>>7643028
it turns you into a delusional self righteous prick

pic related. this is a youtuber called vegan gains. he has been working out for over 8 years and looks like an ethiopian child who found dumbells. but at the same time he militantly defends his belief that being a vegan has no negative effect on gains.
he also somehow looks pale even though he's black
>>
>>7643926
>this isn't true
It is true.

>if it is true it shows an astounding disregard for the suffering of others
Their problems not mine. Seriously. Why should I have an obligation to give a single fuck about some desert dweller or pacific islander? They do nothing of value for me and they don't care about my nation at all.
>>
>>7643082
>your opinion
>relevant
>>
>>7644856
>responding to bait
your presence here is irrelevant
>>
>>7643028
Meat is delicious.
>>
>>7644871
Oh, and the consumption of animal products is almost certainly responsible for us having been able to evolve such large brains.
>>
You need to be glad that we stoped and thought about controled breeding ,otherwise this animals that we eat would be all extincts fagot
>>
>>7643082
kek
>>
>>7644873
False, you faggot. Our ability to cook did that.
>>
>>7644042
>Especially given how pathetic it is I probably couldn't easily bring myself to kill the animal myself.
You locked in a room with a turkey, a knife and gallon of water. See how easily you rive the fuckers head off m8.
>>
>>7644988
Yeah, our ability to cook animal products.
>>
>Herbivores have enzymes in their digestive systems that can break down cellulose into useful substances.
>We don't.
/thread
>>
Meat is the reason why our brains became big. It provides a shitton of energy for an organ that burns 2000 calories a day.
>>
>>7644988
>False, you faggot. Our ability to cook did that.
Seriously I don't think that in Africa there existed sufficient plant-food for us to have evolved our brains as we did, even with cooking. No domesticated veg/grain/fruit, no farming, no access to plants not present in Africa.

Even with modern farming, domesticated species, and international shipping allowing you access to plants from the whole world, vegans still basically have to take supplements.
I don't see a way for early humans to have foraged for all their nutritional requirements from plants 200kya.
>>
>search thread
>no results for 'vitamin' or 'b12'
>only 2 posts mention the word protein
>not hits for 'bio' (specifically looking for bioavailability)
>only one mention of zinc which isn't even too relecant
>no mention of calcium
>no mention of iron

holy shit stay pleb /sci/

plant protein is shittily digested, has shit amino acid composition, lack of BCAAs and protein is overall lacking in plant materials. this is just for starteds. iron and calcium from plant sources has shitty bioavailability, red meat and dairy has very relevant absorbtion factors (inb4 shill). no plant sources of b12.

this is just for starters. humans are omnivores, bottom line. we need animal products to stay healthy, maybe even to live (without supplementation). vegan mothers have KILLED their children from not eating animal products while breast feeding. we should also eat lots of fruits/veggies/plant products as they are full of good stuff too. i'm not a paleodude that'll tell you saturated fat is the best fat for you and that your diet should be 2/3 meat or anything retarded. BUT saying that being vegan is healthy and that there's no scientific evidence that we dont need animal products is just as retarded (if not maybe a little more.
>>
Peta are a bunch of losers because of them no gfp which means no glowing bunnies :(
>>
>>7645086
Bumping this post for potential
>>
File: smug smugness.jpg (22 KB, 220x279) Image search: [Google]
smug smugness.jpg
22 KB, 220x279
>>7643586
>The foodchain
>moral
>>
File: Joim Corey.jpg (51 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
Joim Corey.jpg
51 KB, 604x340
>>7644567
>>he also somehow looks pale even though he's black
>>
Go talk to a chicken or a cow, what's that? you can't? Didn't think so, cause animals are STUPID there's nothing wrong with eating stupid things.
>>
>>7644567
Vegans always look green, you are what you eat I suppose.
>>
>>7643754
You are less smart than you think.
>>
>>7645086
We used to get b12 through our water. Due to filtration this isn't a thing anymore. How do you think animals get it in the first place?
>>
>>7643028
>Scientific reasons why not to be vegan?
Because I don't care at all for domestic animals, and because I DO care about enjoying meat.

Is that scientific? Perhaps not, but I don't think anything else matters, so it does not.
>>
File: image_1.jpg (359 KB, 881x1362) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
359 KB, 881x1362
>>7643515

>alot

There is a lot of space between "a" and "lot."
>>
>implying i should give a fuck about animals.
>implying i even care about random refugees
> i care about me and my family and maybe my own pets but thats it.
>implying its worth to get laughed at by most people
>>
>>7643028
show me one fucking person who live from a baby on to maybe 75 or 80 years living 95% of the time or more vegan.
PS: You can't
>>
>>7648748
forcing veganism on children isn't a very old practice m9
>>
>>7648743
>even care about refugees
>even
You should care about other humans less than animals. Make no mistake, there should not be any shadow of an "even" in there.

Anon, I thoroughly disapprove.
>>
>>7643028
>Scientific reasons why not to be vegan?
meat is responsible for providing your body with key proteins and other similar things, and is responsible for brain development
We have omnivorous teeth. Nothing evolves without a reason
Hitler was a vegan
Vegans are scientifically proven to be self righteous assholes who shove it in your face. Which is a key trait shared by members of...
>PETA.

I think I'll keep my burgers and laugh at the overzealous vegetarian who claims it will give me cancer when the air they breath is probably more carcinogenic
>>
>>7643296
transhumanism is for fedora tippers who want to live muh motoko fantasies
>>
>>7647180
>Is that scientific? Perhaps not, but I don't think anything else matters, so it does not.

nice, now gtfo this board
>>
File: 47034197_p0.png (486 KB, 740x789) Image search: [Google]
47034197_p0.png
486 KB, 740x789
>>7648840
I think mankind's ultimate fate before it fizzles out will be to create a machine god in our own idealized image.

We're little more than a mayfly dance.
>>
Every vegan/vegentarian I've met had to come back to meat. They were deficient in a lot of vitamins and were slowly dying. The supplements was not helping. Also every time they travel to developing countries, they would come back weaker. They cannot find the supplements needed in those countries. A lot end up eating meat there.
>>
>>7645086
Vegans BTFO.
>>
>>7648851
>Developing countries
The whole point of vegetarianism etc is that through the affordances of modern society, all the shit humans love to talk themselves up about as some grand achievement, we can transcend eating meat. Move apart from the demands of nature and our history as a part of it. Afterall, as a whole we clearly have little desire to be part of nature. We dominated it to get it out of the way.

Synthetic meat is what I'm waiting for. People won't go for it, but I don't give a fuck. We can not only stop wasting resources on livestock, but we can improve on the originals. No more pesticide accumulation. No more half dead animal pumped full of antibiotics. No more raising veal. No more neu5gc, and precisely controlled fat ratios and gelling characteristics.

That is the real achievement. Not this delusion of still being a hunter.
>>
>>7648860
Clone meat is already approved by the FDA. Also vegetarianism is purely a modern concept. Even remote tribes eat meat. Its a cheap but plentiful way of getting your daily needs.
>>
>>7648865
>vegetarianism is purely a modern concept

What? No it's not. I'm not a vegetarian but this is just plain wrong. Vegetarian diets existed in India for thousands of years. Several heretical early Christian sects were vegetarian as well.
>>
>>7648860
ditching meat has never been an aspiration of civilisation.
>>
>>7648874
Obviously. The aspiration has been to eat it whenever you want, which for most people, is engorging themselves on it nearly every single meal and every single day.

Hence synthetic meat. I don't think we should be killing animals. It's too bad we've bred them out of any place in a functional ecological niche. Either way you look at it, they're a waste of resources and space.
>>
>>7648880
>I don't think we should be killing animals
And I'm sure every predator that hunts and kills for survival probably doesn't want to kill anyone else either
Right?
RIGHT?
>>
>>7648881
Yeah, you're really stressed for survival. Have to go all the way to the supermarket and pick up food grown with advanced agriculture, preserved with refrigerants, and transported great distances with the internal combustion engine. I bet you feel like you've got little options in your ecological niche while you live in a culture that wastes the majority of its food.

You're definitely in the same context as other animals. You and your super hunter ancestors really fill the same shoes. Uh huh.
>>
>>7648897
nice patronising there pal.

But I guess as long as those cute littles pigs you love so much that wouldn't exist unless we bred them to be killed are fine, everything hunky dory?

only degenerates avoid meat and everything that is done to prepare it
>>
>>7648906
>nice patronising there pal.
Nice substantial response.

If not to me, then just admit it to yourself. This is how the world and human experience really is. You and another animal have nothing in common but the most base of natural laws.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.