[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I struggle with trigonometry and unit circles but my finance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1443113638514.jpg (19 KB, 500x476) Image search: [Google]
1443113638514.jpg
19 KB, 500x476
I struggle with trigonometry and unit circles but my finance degree needs me to get to Calculus 2.

Is there any chance for me?
>>
>>7642941
>I struggle with trigonometry
>needs me to get to Calculus 2.

good luck
>>
Yeah. memorize the common trigonometric values
>>
>>7642941
You can't memorize 5 points?

It can then be split into 4 quadrants that have the same value except changing signs with respect to quadrant.
>>
>>7642950
It's honestly my first time seeing them all and it's at a point where all of my social classes are extremely crammed with tests and papers so I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I'm doing well in the class but the word problems and all are confusing me but I think I'm getting better.
>>
>>7642945
calculus is actually easier. trig is a shitload of random incoherent rules and methods, calc is just chain rule, product rule and quotient rule. OP may struggle on integration but at least he will get 50% on differentiation alone.
>>
>>7642941
>Going into Finance
>Can't even do basic math

Jesus Christ OP, gender studies has some spots open. Maybe you can be a barista one day.
>>
>>7642941
>Graduating in a non-STEM field.

Can I have a grande Americano with a splash of milk, no sugar.
>>
>>7642970
>trig is a shitload of random incoherent rules and methods
Not if you remember what sin, cos, etc. actually represent.
>>
>>7642970
That's the thing, I've done a a good bit of derivatives and such and I'm fine. I'm really actually fine with the trig functions. My problem comes in during applicators of radians and circles. It just kind of goes past me.

>>7642972
I can do the finance side of math, I just struggle with the abstract purely mathematical side.

>>7642983

Finance is just about the only non-stem field with the same starting as some stem and a non-capped salary possibility. My minor is Chem and I'm getting an MBA so my hope is to get into the corporate areas of a stem field with investments, actuarial science, and banking to fall on.
>>
Calculus 2 requires you to do trigonometric substitution and finding solutions to trig integrals with trig functions raised to powers greater than 1. These sound hard but really aren't. You don't have to be a trig superstar, but you should know your unit circle and your trig identities.
>>
File: ClassyKEK.jpg (61 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
ClassyKEK.jpg
61 KB, 413x395
>>7642941
>Struggles with trigonometry
>>
>>7642970
>random incoherent rules
>every single rule is derived in less than 3 steps from pythagorean theorem cos^2 + sin^2 = 1

sheeeit
>>
>>7643070
Go ahead and derive me the half angle formulas and double angle formulas in less than 3 steps from that
>>
>>7643070
this is just blatantly wrong. the periodicity of the trig functions are not even implied from that
>>
>>7642970
>remembering the quotient rule
>not realising a division is just product
>>
>>7643081

Let the unit vector on the x axis be
⌈1⌉
⌊0⌋
and the unit basis vector in the y direction be
⌈0⌉
⌊1⌋
Then the matrix A(ϕ) that rotates (counter clockwise) a vector by ϕ will take the unit vector in x direction to
⌈cos(ϕ)⌉
⌊sin (ϕ)⌋
and takes the y vector to
⌈-sin(ϕ)⌉
⌊cos(ϕ)⌋
From this A(ϕ) equals
⌈cos(ϕ) -sin(ϕ)⌉
⌊sin (ϕ) cos(ϕ)⌋
Thus the unit vector at θ to the x axis will be rotated to θ+ϕ after applying A(ϕ)
⌈cos(ϕ+θ)⌉=⌈cos(ϕ) -sin(ϕ)⌉*⌈cos(θ)⌉
⌊sin (ϕ+θ)⌋=⌊sin (ϕ) cos(ϕ)⌋*⌊sin (θ)⌋

Let ϕ=θ
>>
>>7642970
>trig is a shitload of random incoherent rules and methods, calc is just chain rule, product rule and quotient rule.
I see you haven't taken calc 2
>>
>>7643354
disk meth, shell meth, u sub, trig sub, parts, Taylor rights, ratio test, root test

simple shit
>>
>>7643361
>trig is a shitload of random incoherent rules and methods
>Proceeds to list even more rules and methods and claim it's much easier
>>
>>7642941
>>7643081
It might be a little overkill, but if you learn based Euler's relation now, you actually can derive the trig relations in just a handful of steps, on the fly. No memorization required.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.