[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got this online class i've thrown 80 dollars into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: keep it 300 like the romans.jpg (45 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
keep it 300 like the romans.jpg
45 KB, 469x463
I've got this online class i've thrown 80 dollars into and I'm starting to fuck it up. I feel like I'm losing control of this class and I don't know if I can juggle it with my shitty retail job and other online class anymore. I just want to be able to continue my education after graduation. I didn't even get a job in my field (electrical engineering) and I've been trying to keep my spirits up, but all of this shit's coming down. I don't wanna give up but how the fuck do I deal.
>>
you have a degree in electrical engineering and you're working retail? The job market can't be that bad.
>>
>>7642902

it is.
>>
>>7642902

I'm finally getting interviews setting up, it's taken months for people to call back, though. My area's only real industry is chemical plants, and nobody's been looking for control engineers with less than 5 years of experience.
>>
What was your GPA?
>>
Two friends of mine graduated Mech E and Chem E with a 2.1 and both got jobs making 60k right after graduation. The Chem E had some research and the Mech E had no internships or anything. If you are willing to move you can always find something good.
>>
>>7642906
3.6/4.0. I could've gone better if I didn't fuck up one semester.
>>
>>7642912
That's actually a good GPA, idk how you didn't get a job. Did you do any research?
>>
>>7642911
Yeah I've been trying that. I've applied to a lot of shit in houston and dallas, also New Orleans (I live in bumfuck, south louisiana)
>>
File: 1446153047121.jpg (25 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
1446153047121.jpg
25 KB, 301x267
>>7642894
Just keep trying man, we all make it eventually

I graduated ME with a 3.6, but didn't get a job in my field until I started taking grad classes
>>
>>7642917
Nah, but I had an automation industry internship one summer. While my university was ABET accredited, it's probably not very well known.
>>
Your resume probably looks like shit, get someone who works in HR to look at it.
>>
>>7642921
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've actually been thinking about taking a grad class next semester.
>>
>>7642923
Haven't really focused on that angle yet, I need to see if I can get in touch with someone like that.
>>
>>7642931
Yeah believe it or not, the person who initially looks at your resume is most likely not an engineer so they give it a 10 second glance and if you don't highlight the desirable attributes they are looking for, its going straight in the garbage
>>
>>7642911
2.1 as in an upper second degree, or 2.1 out of 4.0
>>
>>7642894
Engineers just got BTFO.
And this is not to make fun of you OP. I do hope your situation gets better.

The problem is other engineers on /sci/ that even though they are freshmen they advertise lies such as 80k starting in any engineering. The Nuclear Engineering and Electrical Engineering guys are also the loudest at it.

I'm glad an actual adult came here to show them how stupid they are for believing such lies.

People, do not believe that your degree will carry you. This is the 21st century, literally everyone gets a bachelors degree. Work hard, be the top of your class, get internships, do solo work, etc. Just because your department sells you the lie that you will get 100k salary right out of school doesn't mean they are telling you the truth. They just want you to be confident about paying them 40 thousand dollars a year.

Be smart, /sci/. And drop the bullshit, engineers.
>>
>>7643109
2.1/4.0
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.