[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is khan academy so popular because the visualization of concepts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1385683301611.jpg (167 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
1385683301611.jpg
167 KB, 800x451
is khan academy so popular because the visualization of concepts makes people feel like they understand it ?
>>
>>7642818
I personally used it a lot for math, it's a nice slow and intuitive lesson taught by someone with nice handwriting and explains things throughly. While I don't think it should replace a real class, it's a good review and brushes up on concepts you might kind of understand but things that aren't worth asking the professor about.
>>
>>7642818
it's really slow and easy so plebs think they are smart by using it. In reality it is useless because you learn almost nothing, and the guy teaching doesn't even understand it properly
>>
>>7642830
>>7642818
How does it feel to be a high and mighty elitist asshole?
>>
It is truly an interesting effect that when I use khan Academy, I usually feel that I understand better than from any book, but when actually applying shit, I grab much more information from the text.
>>
>>7642837
You can better educate yourself through internet blogs than Khan Academy, don't delude yourself.
>>
Sometimes I do the mastery exercises for first grade maths so I feel better about myself
>>
>>7642818
Maybe cause its just good at teaching things? I mean it taught me 1st year chem far better then my university did.
Not to say there is something special about khan academy in particular, I got the same level of teaching from other videos/online courses.
>>
>>7642845
Blogs such as?
>>
>>7642818
You will notice that every person to recommend Khan Academy is either retarded, or a professor who mentions it offhand hand for students that can't keep up.

We had one guy in our Mathematics course who wouldn't stop complaining about the lecturers and how he would just look things up on Khan Academy when he got home.

That guy dropped out after the first year end of semester exams. Didn't even show up to them.

I don't doubt that they can be helpful. I just think one ought to consult a book sooner than look it up on a website. If you can help it, always get an authoritative book on the subject and study on your own. Don't be a normie who just studies for the exams around the corner
>>
File: This.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
This.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>7642916
Deliver
>>
File: 1442164905428.gif (44 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1442164905428.gif
44 KB, 320x240
>>7644013
I actually read the book and consult khan academy later if I really don't understand it so I almost never use it but yeah I honestly find the videos very annoying even at 2x speed. Wouldn't really understand using it for much besides physics tho.

But I'm going to have to use khan academy for coding later on because that's really the only thing I can think of to teach me. Any anon know any good online coding "classes" besides khan academy? Don't know if I can handle his videos.
>>
>>7642818
It dumbs everything down so every burger can understand it but fail at real problems so it is shit
>>
>>7644068
What coding/language is this?
I'm probably going to irritate you, but just get a pdf online of whatever language you want to learn.
Programming can be taught quickly, but you will have to dwell on concepts before they sink in. That's a big reason why people struggle with programming; it depends on your initiative a lot more than most subjects(at least when you're getting started).
A book is more helpful because you will generally be given example after example that you can copy and inspect before implementing it on your own. I learned C, my first language, by putting in 4 hour days for 8 weeks. I wasn't an expert, but I rarely had an issue with anything; if I did it was only ever some small piece of syntax I couldn't recall exactly.
But I had covered the entire language in that time. My college spent two years working through the whole language.

This adds on to what I mentioned before; take it into your own hands and put in the time and you will get there fast. No point waiting around if you can help it familia
>>
>>7644093
The book with example things really put it into perspective for me thx anon

Yeah I'm planing to learn coding during the summer gonna be pretty much coding all day. I think I will learn better through a pdf, don't have to wait on anybody and I can learn it my way.
>>
>>7644112
No problem man.

Good luck with it. Just be consistent and you'll get to grips with it fast.
>>
>>7644227
Thx bro will do.
>>
>>7642916

Not OP, but you can educate yourself way better through recorded university lectures than Khan.

They can go in-depth to difficult topics, provide references for further reading, and are much more time-efficient.

Khan is good for being slow and easy to understand, but a motivated students can get much more out of their time without Khan.
>>
>>7644523
Can you find the university lectures through simple google searches?
>>
For math its good for learning the absolute basics, but all the example problems he does are easy, and would take a fifth of the time if he didn't do them so goddamn slow.

Helped a lot with 12th grade bio, cause that's all rote memorization anyway.
>>
>>7642837
>How does it feel to move your ass a little and get a proper education?
Sometimes a little bad, but on average breddy gewd.
>>
Chris Tissdell > Khan Academy tbqhwu
>>
>>7644804
>It's proper because I pay!
Good goy!
>>
>>7644584
How have you not seen MIT OCW posted 50 times or other lectures mentioned
>>
>>7642818
They don't just feel they understand them, they understand them.
It lacks rigor but the approach is intuitive enough to offer a preparation to a more rigorous approach and harder problems.

I personally like that guy Khan. I don't see any reason for undervaluing what he does unless it hurts someone's ego.
>>
>>7642837
>what is ocw ?
>what is aops ?
>>
>>7644839
I feel like it is mainly there for people who have to pass something like Calc I but never go any further, and for that it's pretty good.
>>
>>7642818
Khan Academy is popular because it provides re-watchable lectures, solved examples, plenty of sample problems, and a clear, measurable objectives for a learner at no cost.
>>
>>7644904
Yeah, what are they?
>>
>>7644821
>I pay!
Proper education is quite cheap outside ארצות הברית של אמריקה.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.