[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw trying to teach my 2nd grader common core math
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 11.png (162 KB, 606x432) Image search: [Google]
11.png
162 KB, 606x432
>mfw trying to teach my 2nd grader common core math
>>
sample questions:
____thousand = 8,000 ones

700 = ___ tens

>30 minutes of explaining later and working through problems
I don't get it

free me oh sweet death
>>
>>7642585
Donald Trump 2016
>>
File: 1443102787742.jpg (17 KB, 281x440) Image search: [Google]
1443102787742.jpg
17 KB, 281x440
>>7642574
>having children
>>
>>7642593
I don't think anything Donald Trump is going to do is going to un-idiot my kid.
>>
>>7642601
did you vaccinate him??
>>
>>7642585
Obviously the answers are 8 and 70, what's the issue?
>>
>>7642585
This isn't even common core you fucking idiot this is just regular place value shit.
>>
>>7642618
Beats the shit out of me, apparently it's one of the mysteries of the universe.
>>
>Struggling with second grade math
>>
Common core is easy. If you don't understand it, that means you never learned math. Common Core is suppose to teach how to solve it and why its that answer. Its essentially prepping kids for proofs. The people who hated are retards and there a lot of retarded engineers in the world.
>>
>>7642649
I think the big issue with Common Core is that people see "Ebul Goverment trying to tell me how to do my job" and because of that they're completely ineffective at implementing what it calls for. Most of the issues people have with common core are due to shit teachers who refuse to learn it and are thus unable properly implement it.
>>
>>7642649
I thought it was prepping kids to work in grocery stores and make change in their heads.
>>
>>7642664
Isn't that the whole point of public education?

Why prepare students for success when you can do the bare minimum instead?
>>
>>7642649
Then they should just teach proofs FFS. Honestly, if you can't prove multiplication of n by m in second grade, you shouldn't be able to move on to third grade.
>>
>>7642664
Nope. That was the old system of doing math in your head. Mental math is a legacy of an era of no computers/calculators. They're trying to teach kids how to think. But like this anon said>>7642660
"Ebul Goverment trying to tell me how to do my job"
Too many people think the government is telling them what to think. When in fact its the opposite. The current system of STEM education is memorization. Which is bad, because at the university level too many kids cannot think. They are weeded out by their second year. The market demands more American talent. But we have a generation of teachers who are horrible at math and, well, everything else. So like George Carlin once said: "Garbage in garbage out". Common core is fixing this error. Its essentially smart people rewriting education policy, instead of policy fags.
>>
>having kids

Degenerate pleb. Honestly if you care about the earth, the best thing you can do is not make more people.
>>
>>7642672
I agree, but I say teach them proofs in the fourth grade. They should learn limits in the second grade. Its so easy.
>>
After a year and a half of common core math in private school my kid can't say how many tens are in 8000.

Not retarded btw.

This is....progress?
>>
>>7642677
>not having kids

Because whacking off, playing video games and shitposting on 4chan all day isn't being a degenerate?
>>
>>7642677

Why would I a thinking organism compelled by millions of years of evolution to procreate and form emotional bonds and relationships with my fellow human beings "care" more about a huge fucking space rock and its other organisms than my own evolutionary imperatives?

Even more to the point even if I did so why would I refrain from doing so if every other member of my species did not? So I could pat myself on the back?

Go take your proto religiosity somewhere else faggot.
>>
File: 1212308971635.jpg (5 KB, 100x123) Image search: [Google]
1212308971635.jpg
5 KB, 100x123
>>7642686
I'm adding to my kids' education with tricks n tactics that they'll need to live. Being able to do math in your head is not just for making change at a shop till, it's for use in time and space management. Use of fuel over time, distance covered, how many units needed to do x amount of work etc any number of practical things use these skills. I hate meeting grownups who fumble around with basic tasks or just give up and hire someone because their heads are full of useless cheese.
>mfw harvard business school graduate, ceo of his own company, looks like a cunt trying to do, well anything.
>>
>>7642601
You just need to believe. Trump actually has a chance against Hillary and Kekerny despite all medias worldwide depicting him as a clown who won't become the president.
>>
>>7642677
Better solution, raise some kids to be good people who will then do the same. Invest in the future, not in cynicism
>>
When I started this thread I didn't expect /sci/ to be /pol/ with calculators.
>>
>>7642709
>You just need to believe. Trump actually has a chance against Hillary and Kekerny despite all medias worldwide depicting him as a clown (himself) who won't become the president.
>>
>>7642649
You can't teach common core though in an educational system where actual mathematical thinking is thrown out the window. We're taught by memorizing a set of instructions to get to a particular set of questions. So common core is completely bullshit if you're just gonna end up teaching them by saying
>here's the formula to find the radius of a circle
>find the radius of a circle with some arbitrary area
>>
Well everyone, I just said fuck it and taught her how to multiply and divide by powers of 10.

The way they're teaching adding and subtracting is kind of dildos at this point, because for about a month now I've been looking at this homework thinking that learning multiplication and division would be way fucking easier.

Turns out I was right.
>>
>>7642947
>Well everyone, I just said fuck it and taught her how to multiply and divide by powers of 10.
That's what common core teaches the kids. Its all done by the powers of 10.
>>
>>7642601
yeah, you should be blaming your subpar genes instead

why did you decide to have kids again???
>>
>>7642682
honestly, they should be teaching linear algebra by third grade

anyone who is worth anything was already doing linear algebra by 5th grade anyways
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.