[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know of a paper comparing obesity rate vs self-reported
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Anyone know of a paper comparing obesity rate vs self-reported compliance with dietary guidelines?
>>
File: dietary_guidelines.jpg (45 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
dietary_guidelines.jpg
45 KB, 500x461
>self-reported compliance
many people lie to themselves 24/7
>>
>>7639296
protein_deficiency.jpg
>>
>>7639328
I think that's the point.

OP wants to see if there is a link between lying to yourself and getting fatter.

It would be an interesting psychology research.
At the very least, it would prove that lying comes bundled with other bad habits.
>>
>>7639328
>>self-reported compliance
>many people lie to themselves 24/7
Uh yeah, I was just wondering if maybe the guidelines are stated in a retarded way such that when the average person tries to follow them, they get fatass mode.
>>
>>7639328
Dietary guidelines are not a major contributing element of obesity.
>>
>>7639388
>Dietary guidelines are not a major contributing element of obesity.
[citation needed]
>>
>>7639389
You'll find no citations here. I can't see a viable way to even evaluate it and control for everything you'd need to. The set of "data" that poster included is evidence of this on its own.

No, I don't have any organized evidence. But from what I know about biology, food, and people, I'm relatively sure whatever working conclusions I come to are reasonably accurate in the ways they need to be. Simple heuristics can be used to internally control for error.
>>
>>7639397
>I can't see a viable way to even evaluate it and control for everything you'd need to.
Just give people access to a stocked pantry and tell them to eat according to various sets of guidelines. Control group is told to eat as they normally would. Come back in a month to check changes in nutrition status and weight.
>>
>>7639401
This doesn't show how a population responds to a set of dietary guidelines being released by some government body.
>>
>>7639406
>This doesn't show how a population responds to a set of dietary guidelines being released by some government body.
It shows the real results of someone trying to follow them though, which should be significant I think if the goal is for it to help people who use it.

Shouldn't be too expensive anyway considering how much the US at least spends on foodstamps already. If it reduces obesity 1% it would pay for itself in a year lol.
>>
>>7639407
>It shows the real results of someone trying to follow them though, which should be significant I think if the goal is for it to help people who use it.
I suppose I'd agree with that. I more meant determining what effect the mere existence of the guidelines had in a broader sense.
>>
>>7639416
>I more meant determining what effect the mere existence of the guidelines had in a broader sense.
Right. Yeah that's a tough one.
Guess the only way to test it would be to recall all officially released guidelines and tell everyone to eat how they want/think is best and track the results. Obviously it would be difficult to draw sound conclusions because the plethora of variables but it would be interesting nonetheless.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.