[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/, I'm thinking about changing my major to physics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: einstein1_7.jpg (61 KB, 620x747) Image search: [Google]
einstein1_7.jpg
61 KB, 620x747
Hey /sci/, I'm thinking about changing my major to physics and go on to grad school to get a Ph.D. What kind of jobs would I be able to get with a Ph.D. in physics?
>>
File: breastphysics.gif (747 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
breastphysics.gif
747 KB, 320x180
Breast Animator at Kojima productions.
>>
>>7638813
Sign me up!
>>
Whatever will give you prestige and status in the world, go for it.

But you'll probably just teach
>>
What's your current major?
>>
>>7638831
Undeclared...I just started college this past August. "Changing" may have been the wrong word choice, I guess "declaring" would have been better.
>>
>>7638845
How much math do you have under your belt?
>>
>>7638796
None related to physics unless you go to a top 10-15 institution for your PhD.
>>
>>7638853
Don't listen to this dumbass. Just get as much internships and undergrad research as you can.
>>
>>7638857
Tell me more about physics jobs for PhDs in physics, related to physics, that you can get with a PhD from a lower-ranked institution.
>>
>>7638862
>wanting to work in physics
>getting paid peanuts to do boring arse research
>>
>>7638853
what are the top 15?
>>
>>7638851
I took calculus in high school. I've never had much trouble with math so I don't think that will be an issue for me.
>>
>>7638796
>What kind of jobs would I be able to get with a Ph.D. in physics?
Tons.

Academia: you can climb the ladder and one day become a professor. Meanwhile you will go through the many levels like research assistant, research fellow, visiting fellow, lecturer, senior lecturer, reader and more. The pyramid is as tall as in the military.

Industry: R&D in electronics from component (solid state) and manufacturing to electronic design (competing with the IEEE out there). Many also do software, mechanical design, optics and more. You get a freedom to chose quite a lot.

Government: you can become a patent examiner which is safe and well paid as there is a lack of good examiners. Are you European? Check EPO; really well paid.

Correspondingly you can become a patent attorney or patent agent.

Many go into teaching.

I have done most of the things above.
>>
>>7639938
>Academia: you can climb the ladder and one day become a professor. Meanwhile you will go through the many levels like research assistant, research fellow, visiting fellow, lecturer, senior lecturer, reader and more. The pyramid is as tall as in the military.
those all sound boring as fuck desu senpai, baka.
>>
>>7640766
>boring
As I wrote I have been there and I did leave academia. And it was never boring, quite to the contrary. In fact sitting in the waiting room while the university radiation protection officer is calculating the effect of the large radiation accident you were just involved in was pretty exciting. We had 4 choices:
A - survive
B - survive but sterile for the rest of your life
C - immediate blood transfusion with a reasonable chance of surviving and a certainty of sterility.
D - gruesome death due to intestines basically dissolving.

I was lucky. Twice.

Of course that was the radiation accident. Then we had some, uhhh, chemical mishaps that sent a few to hospital and the rest to rather urgent medical checkup. And none of this was out of the norm in R&D.

Ah yes, all what we did to have a reasonable chance for tenure. Sure I have a few permanent damages from this time such a chemical burns in my throat due to a mishap involving boiling lye but I am just happy I survived.

And it was never boring.
>>
Not OP, but I'm currently Chem and thinking about switching to physics. I want to do cool edgy stuff though like fuck with lasers, make nuclear bombs for the government, and cool things to picokelvins. How do I get a cool physics job besides grades and undergrad research?
>>
>>7642250
Why would a blood transfusion sterilize you?
>>
>>7638862
If you want to work in industry, then top tier school don't mean shit. Its experience. If you want to be a miserable academic then go to a dick waving school.
>>
>>7638796
do you want a phd because you wish to research or just wanna be called "doctor"?
>>
>>7639938
You're forgetting Quant analyst at big banks, data science in general, and working for the NSA. By the way just getting a PhD is enough for most companies. The top tier schools are for academic route.
>>
>>7639938
stop spreading memes, you're ruining lives with this shit
>>
>>7642375
It wouldn't. Blood transfusion was to survive. You would have been sterilized already, even at lower dosages where blood transfusion would not have been necessary.

Testicles are vulnerable to radiation both ionizing and non-ionizing. A fairly strong microwave beam can easily cause (temporary?) sterility.

Weapon of mass abortion?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.