[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bone healing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 912x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 912x1280
Would something as this be treatable? Will the doctors have to involve surgery to align all the bones into correct position after which they fix it, or is it done in some other manner?
>>
>>7638310
It's very hard for a double fracture to ever heal completely. that pic looks like leaves. what do you think?
>>
>>7638321
I don't know, hence why I am asking. Just wondering if something like this is possible to fix without amputation.
>>
That would not be treatable; amputation is a must.
Our regenerative capabilities are limited.
>>
>>7638310
I hope that image is not real.
>>
>>7638350
Thank you for a clear answer.
>>
Nightmare fodder
>>
oh my god the pain that injury must have caused
>>
>>7638371
It can't be real, why is the flesh so intact?
>>
File: gridD3.png (37 KB, 187x164) Image search: [Google]
gridD3.png
37 KB, 187x164
Did that guy stick his leg into a fucking trash compactor or something?

And no that leg is fucked forever.
>>
why can you put titanium bones in there? um pretty sure they did it before.
>>
File: 1446082759798.jpg (21 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
1446082759798.jpg
21 KB, 500x398
>>7638310
that leg is coming off OP. It looks like some one went to town on this poor fuckers leg with a sledgehammer for an hour straight.
>>
R.I.P
>>
>>7638395
I'm going to use this to convince myself it's fake and leave 4chan for today.
>>
>>7638395
>>7638753
Flesh is squishy, bones shatter

I don't know what happened, but it looks real to me. You can bet the flesh is not very intact.
>>
>what kinda leg u want
>>
>>7638310
It's been done. Big plates and rods, lots of screws, lots of glue, lots of rehab. You set up a scaffold for the bone to set against. I understand they use low intensity ultrasound now to speed up bone healing in such cases.

I have seen an x-ray like that before. When I was a kid, a friend of mine got hit by an ATV while riding his dirt bike. They counted 42 fractures total in his legs and hips. It took over a year of recovery, but he can walk normally and even run a bit (though he's gotten really fat--that's the limiting factor). And this was 20 years ago... I assume things are much more advanced now.
>>
>>7638763
>just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>7638310
Holy shitfucking christ. How does something like that even happen without obliterating the entire arm? How is his arm still solid enough to hold all those bone fragments?
>>
>>7638763
fucking lel
>>
>>7638792
So wait, it's possible to fix this mess (obviously you're not getting 100% mobility back but at least no amputation)?
Think you're right, although this would probably cost couple of fortunes. And a really good doctor.
Just trying to check how far we've advanced. Obviously amputation is easier but hell, that is medieval-tier.
>>
>>7638809

>arm

That's how bad it is
>>
>>7638792
This, It's fixable. It'll take a while but it is fixable
>>
>>7638310
Here is the full paper, TL;DR, he lived and with two legs
>>
>>7638924
http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/87-B/11/1556.full.pdf+html
godamn it
>>
>>7638925
>We report the successful salvage

holy shit, they actually did it
>>
>>7638925
>http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/87-B/11/1556.full.pdf+html
fuck me sideways
>>
File: bagofbones.jpg (48 KB, 410x648) Image search: [Google]
bagofbones.jpg
48 KB, 410x648
>>7638925
It's worth extracting the after picture for comparison, that is crazy
>>
File: 693.gif (859 KB, 280x206) Image search: [Google]
693.gif
859 KB, 280x206
>>7639065

Salvaged or not, that guy isn't walking anywhere.
>>
File: yolo.jpg (37 KB, 639x547) Image search: [Google]
yolo.jpg
37 KB, 639x547
>>7639107
>We lost the patient to follow-up after the last operation in December 2001 but were pleasantly surprised when he returned in May 2004, walking without a caliper or an aid. He as free of pain and had a new job as an autorick-shaw driver. He walked comfortably, with a short-limbed gait. Clinical examination did not show any tenderness or mobility at the site of the previous nonunion. There were two small sinuses at the junction of the middle and upper thirds of the tibia but there was no active discharge and the patient was afebrile.
>>
>>7639065
the pain
>>
File: 1445541663545.jpg (2 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1445541663545.jpg
2 KB, 124x125
>>7639113
Nice.
>>
Modern-medicine-happy-feels thread?
>>
>>7639234
I've never personally experienced anything like that.
>>
>>7639065
>>7639113
he'll walk...but he's pretty much walking on two jenga towers from now on, if he ever sustains a good kick to the shins, those legs are going to snap like twigs...but hey for now he can walk
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 600x542) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 600x542
For someone too lazy to read, how the hell did he do this?
>>
>>7639243
God. :)
>>
>>7639243
Literally in the second paragraph
>A 32-year-old man, a manual labourer in a granite quarry, presented after heavy equipment had fallen on his left leg while working.
>>
>>7639257

You are a gentleman and a squire good sir.
>>
File: 1427312089426.jpg (42 KB, 600x917) Image search: [Google]
1427312089426.jpg
42 KB, 600x917
I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing all the knowitalls moving the goalposts after each assertion was proven false.
>legs irreperably damaged
>he'll never walk again
>he'll have to be careful
>>
>>7639289
At least my legs dont have sinuses
>>
>>7639289
thats usually how the world works
>>
>>7638310
It's odd that I've seen full on gore and not even cared but this image gets to me far more than anything else I've seen in the past ~1/2 year. Even looking it that is making me incredibly aware of my shin's existence.
>>
>>7639289
so you're the guy who always speaks about "moving goalposts"
I'll enjoy the day you're finally gone.
>>
File: 1380338840775.jpg (40 KB, 469x391) Image search: [Google]
1380338840775.jpg
40 KB, 469x391
>>7639295
>non sequitur
>>7639298
>damage control
>>7639305
>deflection

Good talk, fellas.
>>
>>7639314
For what it's worth, I'm on your side - /sci/ is full of faggots who chime in on anything even if they don't know shit about it
>>
>>7639257
>presented after heavy equipment had fallen on his left leg while working.
The bones look completely fucked in the x-ray, but compared to the soft tissue damage this is a non-issue.

They'd be swollen and inflamed as fuck and he would risk ischemia from this and that would be the biggest risk that would lead to amputation. Putting the bones back together would be less of a problem, just find an orthopedic surgeon that likes jigsaw puzzles.
>>
>>7639314
>non sequitur
I think thats called a joke senpai
>>
>>7639327
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwVCjhq3YI
>>
>>7638310
i had a shinbone shattered like that when i was 8, it took 2 years to heal and additional 3-4 to recover, 15 years later i can walk and run fine even though my knees hurt sometimes
>>
>>7638792
couldn't they use pizioelectricity to aid in the regenerative process of the bone healing? in my biomaterials class, we learned about that as a process for strengthening bone
>>
>>7639370
>couldn't they use pizioelectricity to aid in the regenerative process of the bone healing?

"They" probably could. But you have to consider that an orthopedician is just a glorified carpenter
>>
>>7638310
Umm even if this is real, which it could be, and it would be very messy and tricky to heal medically or even surgically,
the left picture would need to reset the bone on the right (i forget) and the left would need a rod of strong composite, and the knee therapy/surgery depends on shrapnel vectors
the right picture would need the left bone reset (most likely cast) and I can't tell on the right bone, so
surgery on the right image maybe, on the left image most definitely.
>>
>>7640856

You didn't even read the thread. Both pictures are the same leg fag.
>>
>>7638310
tfw medical paper calls the man a "bag of bones"

at least poo in loos are good for something; their archaic unwillingness to undergo amputation forces modern doctors to make progress in limb regeneration
>>
>>7638838
My friend has full mobility. The worst part was not the bone healing, but the ligaments and tendons. Reattachment is tough, and then there's all the time you're not using them, so they tighten up and get weak, and it takes years to recover from that. Probably it was good that he was a kid when it happened. But he plays goalie in ball hockey, so he's clearly not even that inflexible.

He's got a plate in his head, too, and some pins and stuff in his collarbone. It's a blast going to the airport with him....

The money doesn't really matter in a case like this. If you live in Canada or somewhere like that, it's all free. If you live in the USA and don't have insurance, you get it all done (and the hospitals will do it), then declare bankruptcy, and it's basically the same. Or even better, surgeons are usually pretty excited to take on a case like that, and will find grant money, get you to the best hospital, etc. You're probably actually better off having something really catastrophic happen than just breaking it in three places.
>>
>>7640924
WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?
>>
>>7638925
wow this goes to show that you must never accept amputation immediately because the doctors are probably just being lazy.
>>
>>7639289
That's /sci/ for you
>>
>>7640969
His leg was crushed by a machine in a quarry.
>>
File: brutal.jpg (53 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
brutal.jpg
53 KB, 400x400
>>7638925

Hats off to those docs.
>>
>>7638925
DESIGNATED
>>
>>7638310
id rather get steel limbs than heel through this and still not be able to walk.
>>
>>7641332
except he could actually walk pretty good after this, and without pain.
>>
>>7640987

My best guess is that with shattered bones like that, the doctors would have to use prosthetic fillers where they couldn't piece together and realign the bone.

Surgery and rehab is gonna cost a fortune and a half that his quarry job probably won't have a fun time paying for.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-06_03-38-33.png (204 KB, 702x592) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-06_03-38-33.png
204 KB, 702x592
>>7638925
>Most patients in India opt for retaining a mangled extremity, if given a choice. The severity of the injury does not matter and they are willing to undergo protracted periods of treatment with external fixators and many operations in order to retain their limb, regardless of how stiff it may be. The social stigma associated with an amputation is so degrading that many say they would rather die than have an amputation, despite the merits of early amputation and prosthetic fitting.

India. Crazy talented doctors, crazier people.

>>7640974
Pretty much this.
>>
>>7639289
Is that Nemo Nobody?
>>
File: j3GE0.jpg (96 KB, 960x657) Image search: [Google]
j3GE0.jpg
96 KB, 960x657
>>7641348
>>7640974
On the other hand if it's a below the knee amputation on the table and you were eligible for free or less costly than surgery sweet prosthetic then it'd be worth considering over painful rehab and imperfect regeneration.

Below my knee is pretty much the only limb I'm not super concerned about. Losing my hands would devastate me.
>>
>>7641584
Don't be an idiot, your actual leg will always be better than any prosthetic created and you only ever get two. I hate this dumbass "hurr amputation aint that bad we got bionic limbs now!" Swallowed the military recruitment propaganda did you?
>>
>>7641852
>always
Hah. no.
>>
>>7641861
>He thinks prosthetics and implants are anywhere near the perfection of actual body parts
>He thinks science can always beat nature
Atheists everyone.
>>
>>7638310
Complicated, but I would attempt to treat it.
>>
>>7641584
Oh shit the african robot men are taking over
>>
>>7639289
to be fair, the doctors were probably surprised with the results.
>>
>>7641884
>Prostethic implants aren't a multi million dollar industry!
>Powered limb prostethics don't exceed human ones in some parameters already
>Future nanomachine prostethics will not progress at all from contemporary standards!
>Hurr durr ad hominem I'm a christian and really believe that jesus can violate the conservation of mass and dupe fish because it says so in a book.

This is what delusions of human superiority looks like.
>>
>>7639298
no, that's how medicine works, this is the only problem I have with medicine I have, guys getting outdated as fuck and spouting utter shit. Its time they get some kind of universal data base and made obligated to be up to date. Seriously.
>>
>>7639314
>deflection
not trying to debate you. I'm stating another completely unrelated fact. Never got past reading comprehension, have you senpai?
>>
>>7640962
>If you live in Canada or somewhere like that, it's all free. If you live in the USA and don't have insurance, you get it all done (and the hospitals will do it), then declare bankruptcy, and it's basically the same.

No, it's not. It damages everyone, from the patient to the provider to society at large. We in America need the kind of intelligent system Canada has developed.
>>
>>7639341
>i had a shinbone shattered like that when i was 8, it took 2 years to heal and additional 3-4 to recover, 15 years later i can walk and run fine even though my knees hurt sometimes

This. Never doubt the ability of the body to heal. True this is severe and complicated injury, and surgery will be required to mate bone materials, but our bones are the basis for our whole bodies and it is not a static system. Bones are constantly undergoing molecular assembly and disassembly.

From the body's perspective, this is a major Mess but merely 10-20% of the whole; the body is a scavenger and recycler by nature and doesn't have an attitude of inefficiency and waste.
>>
>>7639065
>http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/87-B/11/1556.full.pdf+html

Goddamn, medical science is fucking amazing.

I mean as a whole, humanity has got a laundry list of shortcomings, but that skilled doctors and nurses can keep one guy from losing his shattered-to-shit leg, that alone is impressive to the point of inspiration.

And yeah, we're killing ourselves with bombs and car exhaust and fast food and we're fucking all kinds of shit up, but look that that fucking leg, and tell me we won't figure that other shit out. We un-shattered a leg; in time we'll un-fuck the planet.
>>
>>7641852
>will always be better than any prosthetic created
>ALWAYS
>ANY
Are you fucking retarded? There's this thing called progress.
>>
>>7638350
eh
I believe that's incorrect because weight training can cause large amounts of bone growth
But something like OP's pic is gonna leave you fucked forever unless doctors can do miracle work.
>>
>>7641974
Donald Trump 2016 will make it a reality
Don't act like Canada doesn't have serious issues tho.
>>
>>7638755
>X ray looks real.
>>
>>7638310
>A 32-year-old man, a manual labourer in a
granite quarry, presented after heavy equipment
had fallen on his left leg while working.
He was in a state of shock and the skin of the
entire left leg had multiple sieve-like punctured
wounds through which small spikes of bones
were visible.
>>
>>7641852
Not if it's shattered into a billion pieces and near impossible to repair without constant pain nigga.
>>
>>7642256
Didn't you read the thread?

The man in OP's pic actually got his legs successfully repaired and is in fact walking to this day.
>>
>>7638310
>me after leg day
>>
>>7641584
Our cybernetic black men and their... 'flexibility'... has allowed us to make progress to the mythical city on the hill.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.