[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you where to go in an elevator step on a scale and go down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1445818697695.jpg (78 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1445818697695.jpg
78 KB, 600x600
If you where to go in an elevator step on a scale and go down you would "weight less" Because of the normal force being reduced.

Is this because since force is mass times acceleration and when you go down you accelerate downward therefor cancelling out the normal force? Also what if you stopped accelerating and went at a negative velocity (Downward) would the normal force already be cancelled out from before and not come back?Also what if you where to move faster than gravity (-9.81) would you experience a "negative normal force" or like complete cancellation of normal force and a new force pushing you upward?

Am I at least close?
>>
>>7638219
>stopped accelerating and went at a "negative" (Downward) constant velocity ***
>>
wtf
you would just free fall
>>
>>7638219
draw a goddamn FBD like they do in high school
>>
>>7638286
>draw a goddamn FBD like they do in high school

>implying that ends in high school
>>
>>7638288
>>implying that ends in high school
que?
>>
>>7638303
you do chincy little FBD's all the time in college. its often a part of showing your work.
>>
>>7638312
What fucking major do you have that you still do HS physics in college?
>>
>>7638219
>If you where to go in an elevator step on a scale and go down you would "weight less"
this will only be the case while the elevator is accelerating down. once the elevator stops accelerating (reach a constant speed) the number on the scale will be correct
>Also what if you where to move faster than gravity (-9.81)
you seem to be confusing acceleration and speed together.
>Am I at least close?
not really, I recommend watching some physics videos on khanacademy
>>
>>7638318
are you even in college? doing FBD's is a staple for all of classical mechanics.
>>
>>7638331
No? I mean I believe you that you had to do it, but isn't that kinda redundant at that stage?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.