[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mars Announcement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9
File: mars2_115916c.jpg (38 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
mars2_115916c.jpg
38 KB, 620x413
Any guesses for Thursday's 'big' Mars announcement from NASA?
>>
Astronaut Matt Damon has been stranded on Mars with no hope of rescue
>>
>>7637318
pfft just more NASA lies
>>
>>7637321
Wat
Ney
>>
There's Coke on Mars
>>
These clowns have got to stop pre-announcing their announcements.

"Everybody get all excited for this thing we're going to tell you!"

It's always, always, always a let down.
>>
>>7637318
More irrelevant bullshit announced with still greater fanfare. The saddest thing is that I'm not even caricaturing.
>>
>>7637395

Can you imagine what they're like with their family?

>Well, we've been married a year and a half, and you know we've been trying for a baby for awhile now, and well... we found a really great salad dressing. Really, it's great, you've got to try it.

>Kids, you know Patches hasn't been feeling well lately, and he's lived a long, happy life, but now I think it's time I told you that if you drink the last of the orange juice, please let your mother or I know, so we know to pick up more when we're at the supermarket.
>>
File: glitch 3.jpg (126 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
glitch 3.jpg
126 KB, 640x480
cold war confirmed
>>
>>7637395
The previous big announcement was liquid water on Mars, I don't think that was a letdown.
>>
>>7637418
>liquid water on Mars
It was hypothetical brine flows. Yep, the theory still needs to be tested in laboratory, and even if confirmed that water would be unable to sustain life. The discovery was simply more incremental evidence that there is water on Mars, something we know for decades. It's just that the public goes crazy when it hears the word "water" and nasa knows this very well.

It was a massive letdown (being polite), but overhyping and underdelivering is the baseline attitude at nasa these days.
>>
>>7637429
>>7637418
Yeah, the "liquid water on Mars" announcement was just "We've been pretty sure about this for years, but we've passed some arbitrary threshold in our level of pretty sureness, even though we're still not absolutely 100% certain that in some places on sunny days the very salty ice on Mars melts in a thin layer."

It wasn't worth trying to whip up a public buzz over. They've got a real boy-who-cried-wolf thing going.
>>
>>7637395
The last announcement was good.
>>7637429
>>7637560
>before the announcement fedoras attacked anyone who claimed there was flowing water on mars
>after the announcement "w-we always knew it was there!"
The belief wasn't mainstream until that announcement
>>
>>7637667
>backpedalling this hard
>being this uniformed
Nasa shill pls go. In the last decade, that institution you used to love has become little more than an entertainment company for the populace, preferring to fart around on the internet instead of doing meaningful shit. They brought this on themselves. You have no reason to defend them.
>>
>>7637698
>"waah why won't they announce ayyliums?"
>>/reddit/
>>
http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/be-an-astronaut-nasa-seeks-explorers-for-future-space-missions

Not sure if this is the big announcement or not but NASA is looking for more astronauts.
>>
>>7638383
>you will never be an astronaut
This feel man, this feel. I'm not gonna apply, I don't want to get my hopes up
>>
The results will be from MAVEN and about atmospheric escape. My guess is that /sci/ will deem it uninteresting because it's not aliums.

Source: I'm on the MAVEN science team.
>>
>>7638381
Keep beating that strawman.You might even end up convincing yourself.
>>
>>7637318
aliems
>>
>>7637318
what big announcement ? I can't find any NASA announcement on thursday.
>>
>>7638417

funnily enough
>I'm not gonna apply, I don't want to get my hopes up
is the exact opposite mindset of everyone personally successful and driven enough to become one, hence
>you will never be an astronaut

chris hadfield sums it up pretty nicely... if you always have that goal, youll always base your life decisions (employment, education, location) on that end goal. you might find never find yourself an astronaut, but even someone who achieves half as much as one is still immensely successful compared to the general population. Never became an astronaut? At least you earned a masters degree or learned to scuba dive or got your private pilots license or became a public speaker or educator... that kind of thing. dont lose sight of the value of the journey cos youre so focused on the impossibility of the goal, because the journey is what makes an astronaut what they are. riding a rocket to the moon is the sum of decades of valuable and individually awesome experiences
>>
>>7637318
Meme planet desu

Venus is where it's at
>>
>>7638441

m-ayy-ven lmao
>>
>>7637321
We must send him decent music immediately.
>>
it's already been said to have something to do with mar's atmosphere and the long term,.. so i'm guessing they found out it's rate of decay or possibly that it has stabilized. I highly doubt it is growing back.
>>
File: MarsOceans.png (221 KB, 653x655) Image search: [Google]
MarsOceans.png
221 KB, 653x655
>>7637318
>Any guesses..?
missing impact craters
recent oceans
(greetings from jmccsci)
>>
File: LuGUSxk.jpg (404 KB, 1024x1920) Image search: [Google]
LuGUSxk.jpg
404 KB, 1024x1920
Ayyliums tbqhwy famo
>>
>>7639250

If they found aliens it'd probably be announced there and then no press conference
>>
>>7638615
I really want to know the time of the announcement.
>>
>>7639360
Okay, I found out it is 2 EST.
>>
I was so fucking confused what Aliums were and searched good and see a flower and I'm like wtf, then I realized you guys mean aliens.

fml
>>
>>7638441
Dude maven is sick give me your steamID I wanna ask questions
>>
>>7638441
>when an actual scientist comes to /sci/
>>
>>7638441
I've heard this multiple times now, I guess this really is what they'll announce. From what I understand, this isn't good news for the future of mars colonisation. Although we've always known that without terraforming we'll never be able to live on Mars without suits.
>>
>>7639250
is that halo
>>
>>7639437
We can't all have a tolerable degree of intelligence
>>
acid fog
>>
how many hours till announcement
>>
why do they intentionally add red to mars photographs
>>
>>7639536
2 and a half bongs.
>>
>>7639536
It's at 2 pm eastern.
>>
>>7639539
because people expect a Red Planet
>>
File: 49300991_p0.jpg (414 KB, 850x679) Image search: [Google]
49300991_p0.jpg
414 KB, 850x679
>>7637318
I want them to announce why they didn't just tell me now.
>>
>>7638417
>This feel man, this feel.
A few years ago I heard on the news (somewhat reliable news source) that ESA astronauts were getting psychological counseling since they it now was clear that hardly any of them would ever go to space and their hopes were crushed beyond hope.

Political posturing is cheap. Actually sending someone to space is expensive.
>>
>>7637408
Rated post bro
>>
>>7639659
Why would anyone want to go to space? It isn't true escape, and it ravages your body. I'd rather continue to feel trapped on Earth then embrace the temporary experience of space with the brain damage that comes with it.
>>
>>7639659
I'm sure I'll be able to visit Disneyland on the moon in 50 years anyway, I can wait.
>>
>>7639669
I doubt we'll have a viable power source on the moon, nor adequate radiation shielding in 50 years. A carbon nanotube space elevator is... maybe possible though.
>>
>>7637318
>2015
>NASA being relevant
>>
>>7639672
nuclear power
>>
http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

15 mins bros
>>
>>7639515
If by halo you mean halo then yes.
>>
>>7639779
HYPE
Y
P
E

Said no one ever
>>
>>7639779
Damn, what a qt.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 640x656) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 640x656
>>7639791
>there will never be a reason to be hype about space discoveries in your lifetime
>>
>>7639795
Thanks baby boomers for that.
>>
HER eWE GO
>>
>#asknasa

Get ready for most retarded questions possible.
>>
>>7639795
You're wrong.

We will find something on Europa. There are so many interesting bodies in the solar system...Titan, Enceladus, Galilean moons, we don't even know much about Uranus/Neptune. It is an exciting time for solar system exploration, so fuck off.
>>
>>7639805
>We may find something on Europa, possibly.
>>
>>7639805
>We will find something on Europa.

That mission will be so complex, so expensive, and so time consuming.
>>
>>7639812

Yesh, you're right. It's too hard, we shouldn't do anything that's hard.
>>
>>7639817
In 20 or 30 years there will be some to be hype for? Yeah man, I'm so excited.
>>
>>7639809

Nothing is certain, but something of interest will be found. How interesting, you ask? Depends if you're a planetary scientist or a meme-seeking degenerate looking for ayy lmao's
>>
Do you think if there was another country announcing its mission to Mars we would speed up research so that we could get there sooner? What's the earliest possible date for a Mars mission with more budget behind it?
>>
For those who aren't watching, it's fucking nothing.
>>
>>7639830
What was the announcement?
>>
>>7639834
Mars escaping atmosphere.
>>
>>7639834
This guy was correct. >>7638441
>>
>something we already know

Thanks NASA
>>
>>7639843
The monthly 'gib more funding pls'.
>>
>>7637667

You're not going to convince anyone that we didn't believe there was water on Mars until recently. Not when I can find evidence in the archives proving otherwise.
>>
So they imply there is a goldilockes zone for planets to have a strong enough mass to be able to hold an atmosphere and have a strong enough magnetic field to keep it from their star tearing it off?
>>
>>7639873
In the end it all boils down to which planet God chooses to be his garden. The End.
>>
>>7639849
the winner
>>
File: goodday.jpg (556 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
goodday.jpg
556 KB, 1920x1200
>>7637318

NASA have lost all credibility with their bonkers claims recently and fake science CGI.

I'll check back on them in a few years time. Nothing they say anymore is trusted and is unverifiable. I think it is being deliberately done but I don't know why other than the people at the top might be making them like this if they want their funding, even with Mars.
>>
>>7639110
kek
>>
>>7640245
especially considering their recent decision to keep talking about the meme drive. i couldn't believe it
>>
File: double.jpg (26 KB, 398x316) Image search: [Google]
double.jpg
26 KB, 398x316
>>7640253

The meme drive has earned my double facepalm award meme. Only the extra special fake science claims get that.
>>
>>7640253
>>7640245
Oh dear, God forbid NASA caters to everyday joe who are the ones funding them as opposed to some dogmatic sperg who wants NASA to look at rocks all day because a man on Mars or EM drive research is too much for his little autistic brain to handle
>>
When the day comes and aliums are finally announced, I really want the retards on /sci/ to answer for their stupidity.
>>
>>7639835
Jesus Christ.

I mean it's interesting science by itself (even though, as always, we've mostly known it for long) but trying to hype the public like that is just pathetic. I know they need mo money fo dem programs, but this is nothing short of attention-whoring, and is frankly almost an insult to their audience.

>MEGA SCIENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
>OMG LE MARS MYSTERY SOLVED !!1!!11!!!!
>GET HYPED MOTHAFUCKAS

It is too much to ask to just give us the actual paper, or just a very comprehensive article (like esa does: fully-referenced, with the same graphs as in the real paper, no dumbing-down) and let us appreciate the impact by ourselves? Most of us aren't complete retards, we don't need to be taken for idiots to appreciate the research being done.
>>
>>7640267
Fuck off to reddit newfagg
>>
>>7640304
I agree. it might not even work well for NASA in the long run
>>
>>7640324
>in the long run
its backfiring on them already
>>
>>7640304
What part of "they need money" don't you understand? This is why STEM spergs will die as cubicle monkeys because they don't understand business.
>>
>>7639659
Depressing if true.
>>
>>7639805
>We MAY just POSSIBLY find something worth mentioning on the news on Europa within our lifetime, maybe
FTFY
>>
>>7640347
>implying that that one person is a good sample of all STEM.
People that are STEM and understand business exist.
>>
>>7637318
What they've bowed out of the space race again?
>>
>>7637318
It's practically Friday. Where the hell is the announcement?
>>
>>7641179
The announcement is that there will be an announcement at some future time that is yet to be determined
>>
>>7639665
>brain damage
source?
>>
>>7641179
Here you goof (be aware though >>7639830):

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-mission-reveals-speed-of-solar-wind-stripping-martian-atmosphere
>>
>>7641261
How big is the loss rate on Earth?
>>
>>7639654
More pics like this?
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.