[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Floating car, with magnets!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 4859947_8f09_1024x2000.jpg (156 KB, 1024x778) Image search: [Google]
4859947_8f09_1024x2000.jpg
156 KB, 1024x778
I'm an idiot, so take my idea with a grain of salt, but I've played with magnets before and if you hold them in just the right position they will be forced away from each other.

Why not make a "road and floating car" where they have these opposing magnets that force the car to stay floating off of the ground? From there, propelling a floating car that isn't being affected by its own weight or friction. Hell, you could still even use wheels and it would be more efficient since most of the weight of the car would be nullified by the magnets pushing it into the air.

I believe this could work.
>>
>>7637299

They have done this, with electromagnets. They are called MagLev trains.
>>
>>7637309

why not use this technology for the rest of us? At least, on a much smaller scale.
>>
>>7637299

>Why not make a "road and floating car"

Expensive as fuck, no one will give two shits about it.
>>
It's doable, probably. That's not really the issue here. If economics didn't matter we would have all kinds of cool toys.
>>
>>7637315

It would have insanely good efficiency. It is unaffected by friction, so the only thing stopping the floating car is wind resistance.
>>
>>7637313
It has to go on a track.
You could use flux pinning, at least for levitation, but the car would be far too heavy.
>>
>>7637317

First things first your idea proccessing should be reversed.
When trying to approve of an idea you should first thing of why it wouldn't work rather than why it would. And reverse it when trying to disapprove something.

So in this case, you should think 'why wouldn't it work'.

1)It will take a shit-ton of work-force to make the roads and a shitload amount of resources and money
2)It will not help in any way, it will only seem cooler.
3)The cars would be hella expensive
(What about gas btw?)
4)Special training would be required from trained personel.

The list goes on and on, i'm pretty sure you get the idea.
Nontheless it's a cool idea that has been mentionted before but will probably won't come to light ever.
>>
>>7637299
Samuel Earnshaw
>>
>>7637299
>wanting to sell magnetic roads when half the planet still can't even afford asphalt roads
>>
You might be interested in this, OP:

https://youtu.be/OklLJ-NpECo

It's similar to what you're talking about.
>>
>>7637313
>why not use this technology for the rest of us?
It's a conspiracy by the 1% to keep good progressive folk down.

Stick to your liberal arts courses.
>>
>>7638202
Great now we have to pave our roads with steel. Thanks science.
>>
>>7637674
>step on magnetic road
>phone gets fried
>>
>>7637299
Learn about superconductivity and check Lexus' recent "hoverboard" seems to be what you're interested in
>>
>be me, walking down magnetic street with my phone
>phone dies because the super strong magnetic field wiped the internal storage

>be me, president of USA. We spent 50 trillion dollars buying superconductive material to make a 50km road.
>the USA is not 100 trillion dollars in debt from that and cooling down that material to make a super conductor

I wish it could come true anon
>>
>>7637299
It works, but it's not used.
Because reasons.
The primary one is cost, since we can't just lathe superconductive metal with ease, there's little reason to consider the option. Trains are better for now.
>>
>>7637317
Do you have any idea how much roadway there is? Putting current through all those electromagnets all the time would result in terrible efficiency. Even if it was superconductive, there are still losses.

The amount of heat produced would be an environmental catastrope. There is not nearly enough generation to support this. The whole thing is a huge safety hazard, too. Maintenance would be a nightmare.

Also, gasoline is nice because it's portable. That means you can drive on gravel highways, dirt roads, parking lots, etc.
>>
>>7638723
Oh, and there probably isn't even enough metal mined in the world to do all the roads in a single medium-sized city.
>>
I've always dreamt of something like this, but there's just too many problems that we don't even understand yet.

If magnetic roads couldn't be built for every road, I think there are some places it could be built, like large government complexes perhaps (Pentagon, Quantico, White House) or very big 'think tank cities' like San Francisco and whatnot.

It's a cool idea and it does work, but its just expensive and hard to implement because of so many other things like worrying about our cell phones for 1, so yeah....

What about magnetic sidewalks? Just a small rail, like 6-8 inches wide, and perhaps we could get special shoes that allow us to glide along them? All at the same speed, and it keeps you upright?

Idk that seems more 'do able' for now, especially on a small 1 city scale.
>>
File: 1391568188025.png (119 KB, 247x268) Image search: [Google]
1391568188025.png
119 KB, 247x268
>>7637299
>trying to change direction while constantly being repelled from the floor.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.