[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could anybody explain to me why running up a hill is harder than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: hill.jpg (1 MB, 3384x2220) Image search: [Google]
hill.jpg
1 MB, 3384x2220
Could anybody explain to me why running up a hill is harder than running on level ground? I imagine it has something to do with overcoming gravity's pull? But gravity is present everywhere, yes? Is the steepness a factor?

Thank you
>>
>>7636582
You're increasing your potential energy, thus doing more work. In principle on a flat frictionless surface going round the Earth you would basically be able to keep moving forever once you started, moving uphill this is not so.
>>
The force of gravity pulls you directly toward the center of mass of the Earth.

The normal force, the force that keeps you from going through solid objects like the ground, is always perpendicular to the surface.

So on a hill, the normal force is at an angle while the force of gravity is still straight downward, so less of the force of gravity gets counterbalanced by the normal force.
>>
>>7636590
Going round..... lol
its flat mate
>>
File: 1424131219297.jpg (3 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1424131219297.jpg
3 KB, 125x119
>>7636582
You're using the back of your upper legs not your ass

Less developed muscle
>>
>>7636590

Thank you.

>>7636593

So there's the force of gravity and also a normal force? Is this normal force your weight? Does this "normal force" have any other name? Thanks.
>>
>>7636590
>>7636593
How about if you run up and run down (0 gain in potential energy)

That's implying running 5 miles up a ginormous mountain and then down 5 miles is the same as as running 10 miles
>>
>>7636607
> using the back of your upper legs
> not your ass
> confirmed for never having run
>>
>>7636627
yes that's true but we don't live in an idealized physics world and have to deal with things like friction, the fact that you have a very inefficient mode of travel downhill etc.
>>
>>7636621
>So there's the force of gravity and also a normal force?
Yes.

>Is this normal force your weight?
No. But on a flat horizontal surface where the force of gravity pulls downward, the normal force will push you upward with an equal magnitude to your weight, but in the opposite direction. It's what keeps you from falling right through the ground.

However on an incline, the normal force is still perpendicular to the surface, so it doesn't counteract all of the force of gravity (your weight) anymore, which still pulls you downward with a force of 9.81m/s * your mass in kg.

>Does this "normal force" have any other name?
I'm sure it does. Check google or wikipedia.
>Thanks.
>>
>>7636647
>9.81 m/s
I mean 9.81 m/s^2
>>
>>7636627
>How about if you run up and run down (0 gain in potential energy)
If you had an ideal nonfrictional environment, you would lose no energy in that case and your velocity would remain the same before you began going up the slope as when you'd finished going down it.
>>
>>7636647

Thank you!

I didn't think that such a force would simply be termed a "normal" force. But you are right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_force

I will read and learn. Thanks again.
>>
and I mean 9.81 N/kg (^.^)
>>
>>7636666
No it isn't.

It is mg cos \theta\.

The steeper the slope, the less commensurate the normal force is with gravity.
>>
>>7636621
the normal force is the force exerted to you from the ground.

every action has an equal an opposite reaction

so your weight is pushing down on the ground, and the ground is pushing you back up
>>
think of it in terms of kinetic energy.

if something is at a higher altitude, it has more potential energy.

it takes energy to get it up there to begin with. climing that hill is that energy.
>>
it has nothing to do with some magical force pulling you down

your asscheeks are too fat, man
>>
>>7636811
/thread
>>
>>7636582
gravitational force on a hill can be unbound into 2 forces
1. Fn = Fg * cos(alpha)
2. Fa = Fg * sin(alpha)

Fn is the normal force
Fa is the gliding force which will be trying to pull you down the hill
the greater the angle, the greater the sinus and thus the greater the gliding force
>>
to lift something, like your legs do with your body when you take a step up a hill, you have to generate enough acceleration to beat that of gravity
>>
Hey op,

I have found a way to explain this so that even halfwits as you may understand:

Imagine you are connected to the center of the earth with a rubber band.
If you walk on even ground the lenght of the rubber band doesn't change and its not that hard for you to walk. But if you walk up a hill you pull the rubber band longer and this is so hard.

Another big factor is the aerodynamic drag. On higher ground the air pressure is smaller and the drag is thus higher.
>>
>>7636590
>frictionless surface
Running on a frictionless surface
>>
how the fuck do you run up a frictionless surface
>>
File: you dense mothrfucker.png (146 KB, 483x316) Image search: [Google]
you dense mothrfucker.png
146 KB, 483x316
>>7636969
>Another big factor is the aerodynamic drag. On higher ground the air pressure is smaller and the drag is thus higher.
>>
A hill sloped at an 8% grade ( as in for every 100m horizontally, 8m vertically ) is the most efficient "uphill" for human muscles
>>
>>7636606
Flat can also be round, moran.
>>
>>7636940
>using alpha instead of theta for the sole reason of sounding smarter because you know there are people itt that won't know why you did it
u r gay
>>
>>7636940
>the greater the angle, the greater the sinus
>sinus

please don't do this
>>
>>7638768
alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, I figured most people would understand it's an angle if I used that
>>7638797
sorry I'm european, sine*
>>
>>7638797
>using sine
>not godly sinus like it's supposed to be
kill yourself ameritard
>>
>>7638179
Evidently.

https://youtu.be/-tRc_6McT7Y
>>
>>7636631
>using the back of your upper legs
bicep femoris

>confirmed for never having opened an anatomy book
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.