[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else find themselves straying away from STEM when they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1444428432916.jpg (15 KB, 276x368) Image search: [Google]
1444428432916.jpg
15 KB, 276x368
Anyone else find themselves straying away from STEM when they got into college? Heading into it I was dead set on engineering but the more classes I take the more I realize I find science and math tedious (not boring, I just don't enjoy the work anymore) and I really enjoy my politics and history classes. Thinking about switching to Poli Sci or Philosophy. Obviously will do grad school if I choose this, gotta get a decent job somehow. Anyways, is this a common thing? Switching from STEM from lack of interest, instead of switching from bad grades?

Pic always related, god bless Lynch
>>
Switching majors like that isn't all too common, but you're fucking yourself in the ass if you steer away from STEM, anyways. That shit's good money if you're good at it, even if you don't necessarily enjoy it all the time. You might be a slightly happier deadbeat, but a deadbeat's still a deadbeat, you deadbeat.
>>
>>7589737
I honestly want to do something with film. I realize that its a risky thing to do but I would honestly rather waste my time trying and failing then not trying at all. I would settle for being a fucking gaffer honestly.

That brings me to my next question, do any of you STEM people ever regret getting into it for just the money? I know a lot of you probably enjoy it but I am sure there are some cases of people being persuaded into it when they had no real interest in science or math.
>>
This is related to your level of anxiety. The more anxious you are, the more likely you will come to your computer and play games, watch videos, etc. Take "natural" chess players, those who do not study game theory nor chess theory. They are incredibly anxious, they say: If I am going to learn chess, might aswell just play it.

Take less stimulants, take some moderate alcohol instead, meditate, and you will see that physics and mathematics are great. Stop being an anxious ape. Everybody like history, just like every kid like magic.
>>
>>7589741
Honestly I do it for a combination of the money and because I enjoy it. I like film too, but there's no money in it. I also like Computer Science, so bam, Maths-based jobs that I enjoy and which don't show any sign of going away any time soon.

But I still plan on doing film/animation stuff on the side. You can still do what you love while getting money from the boring shit.
>>
>>7589725
>Thinking about switching to Poli Sci or Philosophy.
just drop out of school if that's what you're going to major in.
>>
>>7589741
>>7589741
>But I still plan on doing film/animation stuff on the side. You can still do what you love while getting money from the boring shit.

This tee bee 8tch. Look at Mike Judge.

I would say only drop engineering for film if you're going to take film really, really, seriously. It's definitely hard to make a career out of it, but if you're really invested in it and work hard/constantly the probably of succeeding isn't too low.

Kinda figured you were thinking about film given the Lynchpepe.
>>
>>7589725
> I find science and math tedious, not boring

Some day you'll have to realize that everything in life is give or take. It's virtually impossible to find something that you love in all of its entirety: there's almost certainly going to be some aspect of the things which you love, that you down right hate.

If you still think your major is interesting, but tedious, then don't be a faggot and jump ship just yet. Sack the fuck up, accept that you're gonna have to put up with the BS that comes with the fun parts. Unless you think the "big picture" of your major really swallows fat donkey loads, stick with it.
>>
>>7589789
I'm actually the least anxious I've ever been. Stopped being a socially awkward loser and I actually go out, hardly play video games anymore besides the Battlefront beta.

>>7589793
Fair enough, I considered this before my sophomore year and I will do some more thinking on it.

>>7589845
I do take it really, really seriously. I'm not just watching Marvel movies and wanting to get into it because of the money and hot babes. I want to express my thoughts and feelings with the best(my opinion) art form
>>
File: cracky chan on tv.gif (1 MB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
cracky chan on tv.gif
1 MB, 300x199
>>7590244
>best art form
>Not objectively lit
We flame war
>>
OP you are what's wrong with this generation.
>>
>>7590244
>I do take it really, really seriously. I'm not just watching Marvel movies and wanting to get into it because of the money and hot babes. I want to express my thoughts and feelings with the best(my opinion) art form
That's great that you've (hopefully) found a creative outlet. But when I said "take it seriously" I meant start working on things immediately. You should take classes and maybe get a camera and start learning how to do shit if you really think it's something you'll be passionate about. I just say this out of concern, because you don't want to be that guy who seems to be in a perpetual state of "writing that screenplay," or "thinking about the film he'll create." If you want to do it, make sure you actually do it.
>>
>>7590502
Ah yeah I understand, I'm actually starting to work at an on campus job next week and I plan to put money towards buying a camera and some sound equipment and what not. I have a group of friends interested too so its not just a solo thing that will never come to fruition. But over on /tv/ there are a lot of those perpetual state people on the screen writing general and I can see how bad that is just from how they act
>>
>>7589725
> I find science and math tedious

I don't get it. How does that relate to engineering?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.