[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this true? evolution related science thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: rats.png (42 KB, 928x459) Image search: [Google]
rats.png
42 KB, 928x459
Is this true?

evolution related science thread
>>
yes its real, they're voting for trump
>>
File: splinter.jpg (204 KB, 641x635) Image search: [Google]
splinter.jpg
204 KB, 641x635
>>7587906
They're also learning ninjitsu.
>>
>>7587906
They're not mole people, not even close.

The idea of some other life evolving here and achieving similar awareness/intelligence to us is interesting though.
>>
>>7587906
yes, this very same rapid evolution has been occurring in humans the last 2000 years constantly.

We're probably going to hit another pruning fairly soon where the 3rd world shit hole poor fags die off because we just don't have enough food for their retarded asses since we're the ones feeding them any ways.
>>
pretty scary tbh

makes me want to make a rat deck in mtg
>>
>>7587906
if this isn't real, then who ate my last piece of pumpkin pie last night?
>>
File: SHIIIT.jpg (9 KB, 200x303) Image search: [Google]
SHIIIT.jpg
9 KB, 200x303
>>7587906
More-or-less, yeah.
As a species, we (humans) are imposing some pretty fucking fierce competition onto the species around us by being smart.
Simplifying the case a lot, our society is one of those holes-with-shapes puzzles and everything around is is playdoh. Mash the side of the puzzle into a big wad of playdoh, and a percentage of it makes a rectangular prism, while the rest is flattened to mush. Add more playdoh around the first rectangular prism and repeat the process: eventually you've got a huge playdoh tower with perfectly square edges.

The rats that are in the right "coordinates" (where the coordinates are intelligence and cunning) of the population's "playdoh wad" fit into the configuration that allows them to escape being "squished."
Similarly, the current crop of antibiotic-resistant bacteria are the descendants of those that managed to fit the "not-getting-killed-by-drugs" configuration for several hundred thousand iterations.

We're not gonna have rats that think like us; not by a long shot.
In a few hundred generations we'll have rats that can think in a way that can counter every conceivable challenge we throw at them.
Just.
Like.
WOLFEN.
Only, you know, with rats instead of wolves.
>>
>>7587962

I'm not convinced you actually know how the world works.
>>
>>7587906
Kinda. Rats have evolved to live alongside human, which has required them to be very clever and sneaky. All that shit about the hurricane creating super rats is bs. The hurricane killed off a lot of rats, but most of the deaths were due to circumstances that had nothing to do with the "fitness" of the rats. Some jus happened to be in a place that was much more difficult to escape when the floods hit, while others happened to be somewhere that allowed for their survival
>>
>>7587906
that's legitimately scary

But then again I live in comfy Europe, so I'll guess I'll just microwave some popcorn, lay back on the couch, then enjoy the show, culminating in the extinction of new yorkers. If only we could import those rats into Los Angeles we'd be golden.
>>
>>7587906
evolution takes longer then 200 years
luck hade just as much to do with wich rats survived sandy and wich dident
>>
>>7587906
Yeah, as I recall, rats are the only species other than humans and apes that have any strong sense of self-awareness. If they had language, we'd probably be able to converse well with them
>>
>>7589161
Is popcorn halal?

Careful bro, you don't want to get decapitated in the street for not observing Sharia law
>>
>>7589210
>not realizing evolution occurs at different rates in different species
>nor understanding that catastrophic events are extraordinarily strong selective pressures
>>
>>7589210

Don't conflate mutation rates/"beneficial" mutations with evolution.

Evolution is the change in allele frequency. It can happen over millions of years or in half a second.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.