[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now, this fucker doesn't have any legs, limbs or doesn&
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: amoeba-eating-paramecium-o[1].gif (2 MB, 324x180) Image search: [Google]
amoeba-eating-paramecium-o[1].gif
2 MB, 324x180
Now, this fucker doesn't have any legs, limbs or doesn't have any muscles. It's baffling enough to understand how they move around and chase stuff but how does it move so fast ? It's ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOz4V699gk
>>
>>7587047
Have you read about slime molds? Another example of an unintelligent, simple life form that does some pretty amazing shit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_mold

They can solve mazes, when separated they find each other again and reunite, really strange.
>>
>>7587047
Are you talking about the amoeba or the other two cells?
>>
File: water bear tardigrade walking.gif (4 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
water bear tardigrade walking.gif
4 MB, 300x225
>>7587593
The other two cells that freak out. I have no idea how they can move so fast.
Even multicellular organisms like the tardigrade has completely evolved a multipedal muscular based system for walking as well as functions like eyes, respiratory and digestive tracts. And we're talking about an organism with 1/6th size of a sand crystal. This is bullshit.
>>
>>7587196
Thats fucked up. Check this TEDx talk about slime moulds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UxGrde1NDA

Apparently they create some sort of neural net that transmits information wihin the mould.
>>
>>7587623
It's because they are actually alive and they where trying to escape

I find it weird, and kind of freaky how the Paramecium are single-celled, which means they should not have any sort of intelligence, or even know that they exist. Yet, they react as does anything trying to escape a predator.
>>
>>7587680
I know right? The fact they can learn patterns is especially crazy I think. They seem to anticipate and take action to avoid negative conditions that occur on a regular basis. Shouldn't they need a memory to do that? How do they have memory?
>>
File: download.png (2 KB, 249x203) Image search: [Google]
download.png
2 KB, 249x203
>>7587623
Chirst, that is totes adorbs.
>>
Do you people fail to realize DNA is knowledge. Knowledge procured using a scientific method known as trial and error or process of elimination. In a very long term or grand cosmic scale of things all living creatures are intelligent thinking creatures. Each individual species belonging to a hive mind that communicates through reproduction and stores acquired knowledge in DNA. No different than us, just experiencing time at a MUCH slower pace than us.

>>7587775
how do you have memory? seriously does anyone really know how memory works?
>>
>>7587746

They move by chemotaxis. molecules in their environment are bound by surface receptors and send signals to move wherever. It's not doing any of that consciously
>>
>>7587813
You are completely ignoring the fact that it knows how to walk, look and investigate those chemical signals. What you said doesn't explain tardigrades behaviour without a primitive level of consciousness.
>>
>>7587746
This sound read something like
>i get the same reaction watching this video as when watching anything trying to escape a predator
The perceived awareness and intelligence is something you're layering on the video.

>>7587798
You've said something more annoying than a creationist or flat earther argument. Does that mean you win?
>>
>>7587813
>>7587746
What makes them move ? That was the OPs question. They don't have legs or muscles or any kind of propulsion system that would make them run wherever they wanna go.
>>
>>7587746
> Yet, they react as does anything trying to escape a predator.

Because all the ones that don't already got eaten
>>
>>7587623
>how do they move so fast
>how do they move
they are covered in thousands of cilia, tiny hairs that they use to row around with, that you cant see because they are too small and move too fast at this resolution
>so fast
dont forget that the length scale you are looking at is in the micron range
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.