[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any maths PhDs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: phd_professors_spend_time.png (70 KB, 450x259) Image search: [Google]
phd_professors_spend_time.png
70 KB, 450x259
I'm currently a first year maths undergrad in the UK, on completion of my 4 year course, I will have a Master's degree.

What do I have to do to get into research?

One of my biggest worries to how to make a good application for funding, or even getting the PhD itself. Any tips? ...To be honest, I lack basic knowledge like what ever are the prerequisites to get into maths research, all I really know is that you almost certainly need a PhD.
>>
>>7586664
...Note to self: Never forget that /sci/ is 80% high schoolers.
>>
>>7586664
>Mmath
>Masters degree

Pick one.
>>
If Research Experiences for Undergraduates are a thing where you live, I strongly recommend that.
>>
You have to do a "successful" (to be defined) Ph. D. with an influential supervisor to hope for any post-doc in maths that would eventually lead to a tenure after the 5th post doc.

Math field is full unless you do major breakouts in a domain.
>>
>>7587290
Most countries require a master before applying for a PhD.
America allows to jump straight to it because fuck it.
>>
>getting a maths PHD to do research
>not getting paid £180,000 to be a analyst for a financial company
>>
>>7587429
The US jumps straight into it because they want cheap but intelligent labour for menial lab tasks. Face it, PhDs in the US get cucked, hard.
>>
>>7586664
Doing your PhD in math is basically the same as doing masters tbh but you have a lot more too do.
>>
>>7587286
>boo hoo, nobody wants to spoon-feed me, so they are the high schoolers.
>>
>>7587494
so what's stopping someone from getting their PhD in the US and then moving to Europe or somewhere with jobs
>>
>>7587469
>>not getting paid £180,000 to be a analyst for a financial company
Where?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.