[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not deflect Venus from its orbit and make it collide with mars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: mars-venus-earth-planet-sizes.jpg (36 KB, 521x269) Image search: [Google]
mars-venus-earth-planet-sizes.jpg
36 KB, 521x269
Why not deflect Venus from its orbit and make it collide with mars?
>>
>>7586377
Why would we do that?
>>
>>7586386
for fun
>>
>>7586388
Why don't we just get drunk and throw bottles then?
>>
why not send your mum to space and be a new planet?
>>
How do you propose we move a planet you stupid dumbfuck
>>
>>7586388
I don't think you understand how not fun that would be.

You would have more fun removing Mount Everest by using nothing more than some sandpaper.
>>
>>7586393
because that's for normies you fucking faggot
>>
I was thinking about something similar the other day. Crash large enough bodies at sufficient velocity into Venus at an angle opposite its rotation to give it a close to 24 hour spin and add more mass to the planet.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>7586495
no
>>
>>7586495
This plan requires millions of years though
>>
>>7586377
Your plan is beyond retarded and you didn't even consider that it would be orders of magnitude easier to move Mars to collide with Venus.
And how the fuck would we do that exactly? Build the largest thruster ever conceived (and not use it to get to alpha centauri)?
Pepper it with asteroids? It would be easier to drink the sea.
with a spoon.
>>
>>7586529
Gyroscopes
>>
>>7586495
Lol that only works when the planets are like mud not solid.
>>
>>7586377
ok, do it
>>
>>7586819
Gyroscopes can't create thrust
>>
I know they say the solar system orbits aren't "quantized", but I still think if you moved the planets around the others would shift into lower energy state orbits over time. Hint: this may make Earth uninhabitable.
>>
>>7586855
Wat
>>
what would happen if a planet made of lava collided with a planet made of ice?
>>
>>7586883
you would get a planet made of steam like Saturn
>>
You're acting like people haven't crashed planets into each other before.
>>
>>7586377
What happens when a planet made of Mars collides with a planet made of Venus?
>>
There are better things do to with enough energy to shift Venus into a 1AU Hohmann transfer than play space billiards.
>>
>>7586495
Very bad idea

>>7586827
Wrong

>>7586529
Thrusters on a planet with atmosphere would not really work because the planet's atmosphere (especially Venus's) would absorb the force of the thrust. So all you would do is heat up the atmosphere without actually moving the planet.

>>7586883
A lot of energy would be released

>>7587056
A lot of energy would be released
>>
>>7587062
Clearly you could use an Earth gravity assist.
>>
>>7586855
we electrons now?
>>
File: 1425233498040.jpg (29 KB, 298x254) Image search: [Google]
1425233498040.jpg
29 KB, 298x254
>>7587063
>Very bad idea

A planetary giant impact event is what made Earth what it is today. Guess that was a bad idea too.
>>
>>7587141
That was a cosmic event, not an idea. It doesn't matter if that is the natural process for the desired outcome, to artificially reproduce it would require more time and energy than we as a civilization can muster.
>>
>>7587063
Or put thrusters big enough that they pierce the atmosphere. And use the atmosphere as a propellant.
There are plans to terraform Venus that way.
>>
>>7587187
Ya, because we have ever built anything anywhere near that large before. Good idea.
>>
>>7587187
>There are plans to terraform Venus that way.

what
>>
>>7587225
Spin the planet up by venting atmosphere at an angle.
>>
>>7586852
[Citation Needed]
>>
if we could move planets, could we eventually move the Earth so it's not destroyed when the Sun goes red giant?
>>
>>7587252
No. It is common knowledge. No citation needed
>>
>>7587332
[argumentum ad populum]
>>
>>7587332
>You donotneed to give sources for familiar proverbs, well-known quotations or common knowledge.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/owlprint/747/

But it's ok, you're just too cool for school
>>
>>7586495
Are you dedicated to spending your whole life x20 paying for that shit? Yeah, me neither.
>>
>>7586377
>>7586388

why not just crash phobos and deimos into mars
>>
File: ea8.gif (305 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
ea8.gif
305 KB, 500x400
>>7586388

The most scientific response with the most scientific reasoning.
>>
>>7587263
The Earth will probably move away anyway, but will still be uninhabitable. Just leave it and come back when the sun starts shrinking again.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (21 KB, 349x422) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
21 KB, 349x422
>>7586883

You would have a planet that needs more blankets and needs less blankets at the same time.
>>
>Humans think they can move planets
This is why no-one likes atheists, so full of themselves, they ironically think they are God themselves.
>>
>>7586855
I really really wanna see the solar system in an excited state and then emit a fuckton of photons to reach the ground state where all planets are in their original orbits.
>>
>>7586377
I'm deflecting my cum from my penis and making it collide with your mom's cunt, which is good enough.
>>
we nuke a planet a bunch which causes it to move, we collide planets together and some planets become famed for never having lost a collision battle and have collection of battle wounds and scars
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.