[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i left a soda can in my car last night and the next morning the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: c.jpg (29 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
29 KB, 400x300
i left a soda can in my car last night and the next morning the sides were crushed in

can science explain this
>>
>>7586056
Empty can or full can?
>>
>>7586056
Simple.
The gas particles and liquid particles inside the pressurized can were okay all night until the sun started rising. The rising temperature made the gas particles start moving faster, hitting the walls of the can even harder, then making them bounce even harder in an endless process.

You may think that this would make the sides looked pushed out but this is where you need to drop chemistry bullshit and think about quantum physics.

So the gas particles kept going fast and hitting the walls of the can, then bouncing off with even more energy (from the potential energy of the can's walls) to the other side of the can. This process is endless, this means that the velocity of the gas particles were endlessly accelerating.

You may think that at some point they would reach the speed of light but they are stopped by relativity. If you are one of those high speed gas atoms, then relative to you the other gas atoms are not moving and you are not moving relative to the other gas atoms.
This sudden (as in EXTREMELY SUDDEN) change in perceived motion creates some sort of split-second semi-vacuum that then sucks the sides in.

But because the gas particles were stopped then the entire process stopped and the vacuum was degenerated, leaving your soda can looking just a little crushed in instead of turning into a black hole (thank you einstein, phew! that would be a problem)
>>
>>7586077
empty
>>
>>7586056
>can science

loving every laugh
>>
>>7586115
If it was cold outside, then the metal from the can cools the air inside to a lower temperature than the outside, which compresses the air inside. Of course, if the can is open, it would have to have gotten very cold very fast to create such a sudden pressure change.
>>
>>7586115
This completely changes my theory.

So now you have an empty can. This can has a very defined shape that is made specifically to hold the pressurized liquid inside. This makes it obvious that when the can in empty there is a very small force that pushes every point of the can inwards but because the sides are the weakest parts, with the least defined shape, they are first ones to lose resistance and be molded.

However, this simple model predicts that the can would completely be sucked inwards and be left completely deformed, but it didn't. By intuition we know that were is an extra force acting when the can starts getting sucked in that resists this force just enough to roughly balance it.

So we have a vector pushing in with force X and a vector pushing out with for Y. Y is approaching X but it is never quite X. If it were then the can wouldn't even suffer from the smallest deformity.

These weird force direction vectors are stretching single atoms, we must remember. This means that at some point an individual atom is split, like in a nuclear bomb. Quantum mechanics says that the force released by this atom will be absorbed by the atoms around it and what atoms are the nearest to it? The sides! So the sides are the ones looking like they were crushed in. You may think that the nuclear explosion force would push it outwards but remember the whole bouncing quantum mechanics we discussed. A similar process would make the can then be crushed in instead of pushed out.

Again, simple.
>>
>>7586056
it observed a dank meme

and its sides were gone
>>
>>7586144
This.

Its well known that all sides exist in a quantum super position where they are both gone and not gone. Upon the observation of a meme the wave function collapses. If it was dank enough they will be gone, if not they will be not gone.

In short your can observed something dank in the night.
>>
>>7586078
Or ghosts.
>>
>>7586116
Oh kekkity kek kek
>>
>>7586116
I'm giggling uncontrolablely over here.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.