[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
book advice for beginner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1407071458722.jpg (60 KB, 708x720) Image search: [Google]
1407071458722.jpg
60 KB, 708x720
Hey, I want to learn JAVA and PHP and need a decent beginners book that actually teaches the language, not just decent as a reference manual. And no, code academy and online tutorials won't work. I'm looking for a great paper page book. Any thoughts?
>>
Is this your first experience with programming?
>>
File: program lang.png (289 KB, 604x1640) Image search: [Google]
program lang.png
289 KB, 604x1640
>>6809585

>>>/g/tfo
>>
>>6809594
No, I took c and c++/c# a few years ago and understand the logic of programming, I just need a decent way and examples to learn the new ones. I learned SQL in about thirty minutes, but realize I need java and php to trigger the sql events. I just haven't find a book that satisfies both a comprehensive guide and the beginner to java and php qualifiers in the reviews. And yes, I googled, Amazon, and reddited for recommendations hags
>>
>>6809596
You must have missed the java logo at the bottom
>>
>>6809599
If you already know the basics there shouldn't be that much that you're missing. Just google enough to implement a few data structures in either language and you'll be all set. PHP has really good documentation pages anyway.
>>
Head first has a pretty decent starter book, no?
>>
>>6809596
Really no C?

>>6809602
>>>>>>>UNRELATED
>>
>>6809602
read much
>>
>>6809585
Multimedia introduction to java very fun book lots of music image stuff
>>
>>6811106
It's for programming a website that can analyze input from big data databases. So yes, it's related
>>
openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

***programming-motherfucker.com***

***codeacademy.com***

physicsdatabase.com/book-list-by-title/

quantizd.blogspot.ca/p/so-you-want-to-become-physicist.html
>>
>>6811260
Yeah, the only issue is wanting a book, not an online or ereader thing...
>>
File: why does he wear the ring.jpg (78 KB, 300x364) Image search: [Google]
why does he wear the ring.jpg
78 KB, 300x364
>php
jesus christ no, don't learn php
>>
>>6811235
>website
>databases

>>>/g/tfo
>>
nice thread
>>
If you're willing to learn python first, check out MIT OCW's introductory course.
>>
>>6812629
While I always recommend a Python > C > C++, etc learning path and MIT OCW is amazing at python, what OP wants is a quick reference for Java and PHP to apply once and forget. He isn't interested in CS or software dev.
>>
>>6812654
I'm interested too, I want a practical introduction to databases, big data, etc but not too profound.
>>
>>6809585
How sure are you you want to learn JAVA? I would rethink this.
>>
>>6812673
SQL is largely "for" large-scale database work.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.